Mid season, player(s) of the season so far

Villa 59

Excluding Jack, who is obviously top:

1. Martinez

2. Konsa

3. Targett

4. Mings

5. Cash

I didn't actually mean to just pick the defence, but these are the five players that sprang to mind when I thought about it. The improvement of our defence has been the foundation of our good season, and I have to assume Martinez and the calmness he provides is key to that.

As for the placement of the others, Konsa is our most consistently reliable defender, Targett's individual improvement is particularly impressive, Mings remains one of my favourite players for his overall presence and what he offers, and Cash has made an excellent start to life in the PL, almost like he's been here for years.

All five of them are interchangeable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Excluding Jack, who is obviously top:

1. Martinez

2. Konsa

3. Targett

4. Mings

5. Cash

I didn't actually mean to just pick the defence, but these are the five players that sprang to mind when I thought about it. The improvement of our defence has been the foundation of our good season, and I have to assume Martinez and the calmness he provides is key to that.

As for the placement of the others, Konsa is our most consistently reliable defender, Targett's individual improvement is particularly impressive, Mings remains one of my favourite players for his overall presence and what he offers, and Cash has made an excellent start to life in the PL, almost like he's been here for years.

All five of them are interchangeable.

Fully agree with your comments....it's great to find some defenders in your selection. There has been an improvement in all of them and the new additions have settled in really well.

1- Grealish

2- Martinez

3- Targett

4- Watkins

5- Konsa

Cash unlucky to miss out and if he hadn't been left so exposed in a few of our games I think he'd be into that top 5, 

These 6 have been our best consistent performers who are on the starting XI whiteboard in permanent marker. We've got some great players who I haven't listed but I don't think they're playing at their best, the likes of McGinn, Dougie and Mings have had dips in form that would have been catastrophic if the rest of the side hadn't been playing so brilliantly. Barkley hasn't played and looked sharp in enough games to be included.

All in my opinion, of course. 

• Like 1

Like others have said, it's completely unfair to have Jack anywhere near this vote. He walks it. 

Aside from that, it would be...

1. Watkins (I think he's been brilliant and changed the way we play)
2. Konsa
3. Cash
4. Martinez
5. Targett

• Like 2

If I was grading them so far on league performance

A+ Jack, Martinez

A - Mings, Cash, Konsa, Targett, Watkins

A- - Dougie, Bertrand

B - McGinn, Hause, El Ghazi, Trez, 

C - Elmo, Nakamba, Barkley, Conor, Ramsey

D - Davis

Not played enough to vote Neil Taylor

The last 2 are the only Villa players not to play over 100 minutes so far

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A+ Jack, Martinez

A- - Dougie, Bertrand

D - Davis

You missed Lansbury again!!  :)

2 hours ago, John said:

I think they have done it as a team and that it's very hard to leave anyone out, or to place anyone higher than another. That said, I would go: Jack, Martinez, Watkins, Mings and Douglas. 

Interesting...no Targett or Cash?

19 hours ago, MaVilla said:

A tough one as a fair few players have done very well, but i would say:

1. Grealish

2. Martinez

3. Watkins

4. Targett & Cash

5. Konsa

I also think Traore has done well considering he has only played 18 games (but less than 1000 minutes), as he continues to settle i think he will prove a very good signing also.

ditto

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

A+ Jack, Martinez

A- - Dougie, Bertrand

D - Davis

I agree with these grades. As a proud parent I’m happy with this report. 

I’ll have a word with Barkley tonight and tell him to pull his finger out more, or he loses his PlayStation again. 

I should also say how brilliant it is to have a team like this. Everyone of them has improved and we finally work as a team, there’s no negative attitudes as far as I can tell and they’re all very likeable. Onwards and upwards for this current crop of Villa boys!

Edited by It's Your Round

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I agree with these grades. As a proud parent I’m happy with this report. 

I’ll have a word with Barkley tonight and tell him to pull his finger out more, or he loses his PlayStation again. 

I should also say how brilliant it is to have a team like this. Everyone of them has improved and we finally work as a team, there’s no negative attitudes as far as I can tell and they’re all very likeable. Onwards and upwards for this current crop of Villa boys!

Makes you proud doesn't it?

Grealish aside and not including the kids who did amazing vs Pool - here is everyone in order of best vs not so good/lack of match time.

Targett
Watkins
Konsa
Cash
Martinez
Traore
Luiz
Mings
El Ghazi
Barkley
Trez
McGinn
Nakamba
Ramsey
Davies
Elmo

On 05/02/2021 at 01:29, tonyh29 said:

Jack is the best player in the premier league this season so it can’t be anyone other than him 

Martinez would get second place though 

This. Any other answer than Jack Grealish is the wrong answer. 

9 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Grealish aside and not including the kids who did amazing vs Pool - here is everyone in order of best vs not so good/lack of match time.

Targett
Watkins
Konsa
Cash
Martinez
Traore
Luiz
Mings
El Ghazi
Barkley
Trez
McGinn