Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

I imagined how good his opposition was based on the information you provided.

It's only now where you've specifically focused on Luiz and how HIS OWN perfomance should indicate his level of ability rather than just listing players on the other team that Doug shared a pitch with.

I find everything amusing by the way (Because I once sat at a bus stop with some old fogies who were amused by mundane things at an elite level.)

Sorry, thought most football fans were educated, know where the players played and who they were playing against.

Just now, QldVilla said:

Sorry, thought most football fans were educated, know where the players played and who they were playing against.

Most football fans judge players on their ability to play football rather than the names on the opposing team sheet .

How on earth would I know Luiz had a good Olympics by looking at the Spain line up ?     You basically said Luiz is good enough for a Club like Villa because Spain had X, Y and Z in the team ? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Right, had enough of this, ' time to call the firing line squad' for you lot, no madness allowed.

Tammy could out score Ings and put in better performances and people on VT would still say Ings is better because he's at Villa now.

people have there Ings Thongs on and Ings Teddy on the bed already i see 🤣..

I suppose we'll find out if that's true when that actually happens. Until then, it's a pointless hypothetical.

The fact is, Ings is proven at this level, has a far better track record, is a more rounded and complete player and brings that vital wisdom and experience that comes with age. Tammy, as much as I love the guy and would always be thrilled to see him here again, just isn't the player we need right now.

Ings could genuinely elevate us into the Europa League, and I don't think that's an unreasonable suggestion. I'm not sure Tammy would, not yet at least.

• Like 1

Not bothered about the striker drama, but i dont think bailey and buendia are enough , i think combined it may paper over the fact we lost Grealish but we needed to add further to our team on top of grealish, so we need another top baller AM/CM area.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Traore fails 9 times out of 10, which you won't see in his highlight reel. The odd time he makes something stick isn't worth him constantly losing the ball and never tracking back. Young is far better

agree to disagree on this one. i think 9/10 times he fails is unfair.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Not bothered about the striker drama, but i dont think bailey and buendia are enough , i think combined it may paper over the fact we lost Grealish but we needed to add further to our team on top of grealish, so we need another top baller AM/CM area.

Absolutely. 

I think the club knows this though, especially as Buendia was brought in to play with Grealish. Ings and Bailey alone are not enough to replace Jack. They need another baller out on the left or through the middle depending where Bailey and Buendia play. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Absolutely. 

I think the club knows this though, especially as Buendia was brought in to play with Grealish. Ings and Bailey alone are not enough to replace Jack. They need another baller out on the left or through the middle depending where Bailey and Buendia play. 

I don’t think they’ll be prioritising an attacking player. We’ve signed 3 players to replace 1 as it stands (Purslow said they identified Buendia as part of Grealish’s replacement strategy - I think we knew Grealish was leaving some time ago).  Looks like Bidace is being lined up to feature as well.

I think DCM will be the position we look to strengthen in - and hopefully we bring in another centre back too. Those positions are far more important than yet more bodies going forward; simply because we lack players there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I don’t think they’ll be prioritising an attacking player. We’ve signed 3 players to replace 1 as it stands (Purslow said they identified Buendia as part of Grealish’s replacement strategy - I think we knew Grealish was leaving some time ago).  Looks like Bidace is being lined up to feature as well.

I think DCM will be the position we look to strengthen in - and hopefully we bring in another centre back too. Those positions are far more important than yet more bodies going forward; simply because we lack players there. 

Not sure I agree. We don’t actually have a player that plays on the left of a front 3 in the squad. 

That and a DCM will be the priorities.

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not sure I agree. We don’t actually have a player that plays on the left of a front 3 in the squad. 

That and a DCM will be the priorities.

Bailey will play on the left.  It seems that Bidace can (does?) play there, Watkins can play there and we have El Ghazi as squad filler too.

Whereas DCM we have Nakamba (Luiz if you want to count him as such). I actually forgot we brought in Tuanzebe on loan, so maybe CB is sorted for now. 

Edit: Young can play wide left too. 

Edited by bobzy

I'd like another attacking player tbh. As much as El Ghazi did well for us last year in terms of goals, I think his general play from out wide is quite limited and halts attacks too often. If we're going to be having periods of this season with AEG starting then that has me a little worried. One more forward would be perfect imo. 

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree with you.

I would have rather us used the money on getting Tammy here.

I'm not inspired by the signing of Ings in all honesty.

Ings can play with Watkins as they are different players. Tammy is a lead the line forward who wouldn't work well with Watkins as well as Ings. 

Also Tammy scored under his xG for last two seasons (by 3.5 goals) so he's not a great finisher and is on par with Watkins in that department. Ings over last two seasons outscored his xG (by 10 goals). Ings is a much better goal scorer than Tammy and Watkins has much higher off the ball work rate than Tammy. 

Ings is a much better signing than Tammy and shows this club is very well run and everything is very well planned.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Ings can play with Watkins as they are different players. Tammy is a lead the line forward who wouldn't work well with Watkins as well as Ings. 

Also Tammy scored under his xG for last two seasons (by 3.5 goals) so he's not a great finisher and is on par with Watkins in that department. Ings over last two seasons outscored his xG (by 10 goals). Ings is a much better goal scorer than Tammy and Watkins has much higher off the ball work rate than Tammy. 

Ings is a much better signing than Tammy and shows this club is very well run and everything is very well planned.

I think Ings has been bought (well, also been bought) because he’s very good at pressing from the front. Absolute pest of a player. Same as Watkins who was awesome at that last season.

Abraham just doesn’t do that as well as those two. 

Given that we tried to sign Smith Rowe but failed with that bid, I expect that we will try and sign another player with a similar game to him, we obviously didn't bid for him for the sake of it, we must have wanted a player of his type with a gameplan in mind, and it's not as if any of the players we've signed since are similar to him, in fact since we failed to buy Smith Rowe our closest player to him has left.

I think people have to get used to the idea of us having good players on the bench, first eleven is about the best team, not the best eleven players.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tomav84 said:

shot creating actions per 90

Luiz = 1.49

JWP = 2.21

tackle success rate

Luiz = 29.5%

JWP = 39.2%

interceptions

Luiz = 33

JWP = 44

pressure success rate

luiz = 25.9%

JWP = 32.9%

i could go on....

Please, go on, because you’ve listed is mostly garbage.

You haven’t excluded dead ball shot creating actions (as per my original point), you’ve made a bad statistical comparison on interceptions, and you’ve literally just chosen stats where he’s slightly higher.

Shot creating actions pass live per 90:

Luiz: 1.36

JWP: 1.03

Interceptions per 90:

Luiz: 1.07

JWP: 1.16

Dribbles per 90:

Luiz: 0.78

JWP: 0.39

Dribble success %:

Luiz: 72.7

JWP: 65.2

Pass completion %:

Luiz: 84.8

JWP: 80.8

Long pass completion %:

Luiz: 74.8

JWP: 43.0

I could go on...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Most football fans judge players on their ability to play football rather than the names on the opposing team sheet .

How on earth would I know Luiz had a good Olympics by looking at the Spain line up ?     You basically said Luiz is good enough for a Club like Villa because Spain had X, Y and Z in the team ? 

No, you made assumptions based on the comments I made in order to make a smart @*$# comment.

The comment was made that Luiz wasn't good enough for the squad, either was McGinn or even Sanson, with no explanation, evidence etc.

My point was they are all international players, Sanson had CL experience, while McGinn is a Scottish international and Luiz has played back to back tournaments at the highest level, but none are good enough for the Villa midfield?

My comment was never that Luiz had a good Olympics by looking up the Spain line up, it was something you inferred, my comment was around the players he played against, quality international players, in which he played well and helped Brazil win a gold medal, while watching every game.

You keep going back to this contradictory statement, without actually thinking it through to its logical end: 'Most football fans judge players on their ability to play football rather than the names on the opposing team sheet' . The example I used was of how well he has been playing, not why he was good enough because he played against them. There's a difference between Luiz was playing against joe bloggs down the street and should be in the Villa squad and Luiz has been playing really well as a back up in the copa america and had a tremendous tournament at the olympics and bossed the midfield in the final against players x, y, z from Spain, so how can you say he isn't good enough for the Villa squad?

Midfielders not good enough for Villa, do not have outstanding games in the midfield in an Olympic final against the quality attacking threat of this Spain team, the players names were used to highlight the strength and quality of the team he played against.

You misinterpreted my comments.

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Bailey will play on the left.  It seems that Bidace can (does?) play there, Watkins can play there and we have El Ghazi as squad filler too.

Whereas DCM we have Nakamba (Luiz if you want to count him as such). I actually forgot we brought in Tuanzebe on loan, so maybe CB is sorted for now. 

Edit: Young can play wide left too. 

Bailey will play on the right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree with you.

I would have rather us used the money on getting Tammy here.

I'm not inspired by the signing of Ings in all honesty.

You kept on and on about signing the Kosavan, but you aren't inspired by the signing of Ings who would have been top of Levy's list to replace Kane if he went to Citeh and we hadn't of got in there first?

• Like 2

Just now, QldVilla said:

You misinterpreted my comments.

Nah.  There's nothing to misinterpret here ...

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Your talking about players who play for their country. Some like Sanson have CL experience.

Luiz was playing against Pau Torres, Olmo, Oyarzabel, Gil and Arsenio in the Olympic final against Spain, but not good enough for the Villa midfield?

The important bit about Luiz playing well against these players never came until much later sadly .

• Like 2