Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

28 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Honestly think some people are never happy.

Out of 4 signings, 3 are top, top, top class. They'll be on big wages but what do you expect? We are growing and progressing much quicker than expected - even with losing JG

To Negative, to to negative, it's just not on that some people maybe concerned over some big wages when we aren't a top 6 team yet is it?

53 minutes ago, skarroki said:

the more I read opinions on Ings the more I assume people only watch Villa games? And ignore the opposition during said matches? Ings could be one of the best strikers we've had in my lifetime if he hits the form he did at Southampton 2 seasons ago, his skill, touch, control, finishing, he's got it all and is insanely hard working. If Tammy goes on to have the career that Ings has had he'll be delighted I'm sure. Right now I'd rather have the finished article up top with Watkins instead of another project to add to a team that was already the youngest in the Prem.

I said it when Southampton signed him he is the signing we should have made instead of Wesley, he's clinical in front of goal and is a 20+ goals a season forward when everything falls in to place for him.

• Like 3

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ings is a much better striker than Tammy. So on that basis I’d rather have Ings for the next 2-3 seasons than Tammy. 

Right, had enough of this, ' time to call the firing line squad' for you lot, no madness allowed.

Tammy could out score Ings and put in better performances and people on VT would still say Ings is better because he's at Villa now.

people have there Ings Thongs on and Ings Teddy on the bed already i see 🤣..

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Right, had enough of this, ' time to call the firing line squad' for you lot, no madness allowed.

Tammy could out score Ings and put in better performances and people on VT would still say Ings is better because he's at Villa now.

The only reason people didn’t speak about signing Ings over Tammy is the former didn’t seem realistic. Tammy on the other hand did.  What does that tell you?

I honestly though Ings was going to Spurs.

Edit: what the **** is an Ings thong? 🤣 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

The Ings thong is better than the Tammy thong.  It’s much more likely to slip Into the right place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

A few mill more could of give us Tammy and. Not saying Ings Isnt good but he's 29 while Tammy is a few year younger and is a great striker.

For that little bit more if it's true what I read on Southampton forum of Ings being on 100k plus before coming to us then for me this was a no brainer at all in signing Tammy over Ings.

It’s kind of strange that Tammy was available for £34m and no team in the premier league were willing to shell that out.  

Only Roma are willing to pay it.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

A few mill more could of give us Tammy and. Not saying Ings Isnt good but he's 29 while Tammy is a few year younger and is a great striker.

For that little bit more if it's true what I read on Southampton forum of Ings being on 100k plus before coming to us then for me this was a no brainer at all in signing Tammy over Ings.

Tammy is half the striker Ings is. If we sign Tammy he is only good enough for the bench as he can only play as out and out striker and is a poacher. 

We Sign Ings he plays if he is fit enough, can play Striker or second striker, works his arse off and still scores more than Tammy, while playing for an inferior team. 

Ings being able to play both striker roles and Watkins being able to play off both flanks, and both being great at pressing, both having a good touch, and capable of holding up the ball means what this partnership could offer us if they click is nuts. You get Ollie working the channels, Ings dropping off linking up and making late runs into the box. Pressing as a pair high-up the pitch means opposition defenders with never get a moments rest, one lapse and there are two lethal finishers ready to dispossess them.

I love Tammy. But the truth is his is not at Ings level. When Ings was his age he had already scored 20 goals in a season in the Premier league for Burnley (who got relegated). He went to Liverpool as back up to Suarez and got seriously injured. 

Ings is quality. We are lucky to have him. 25m and 100 to 120k a week is a bargain for him. His age is the only real question mark, but even so he is surely good for 2 good seasons, probably 3 and possibly even 4. Serious injuries are just down to bad luck. 

Even when he hits 33 to 35 he could still be a good striker as he is intelligent, has some skill, good movement and a fine finisher. Maybe not a starter (at that age) but a good back up for sure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thug said:

We had Tammy.

He scored 26 goals for us, and was a huge part of our promotion.

If Smith preferred to spend £30m on Ings instead of £33m on a much younger Tammy, I can only assume that either there is something that we didn’t like about his personality, or Smith just doesn’t rate him, or maybe Tammy just doesn’t want to be here.

Any one of those reasons is enough to make Ings the better signing.  

Aside from that, I’ve long thought that Danny Ings is the best finisher in the premier league after Harry Kane.  I’m delighted with this signing.  I really wouldn’t worry about the age, he’s good for another 3 seasons easily.  £10m per season for a top, top striker is a good deal.

Ings would have got 30/40 goals in that promotion side. Tammy did well but that's at Championship level.

Ings got 22 in a shorter season against defenders miles ahead of the Championship. 

I agree with you, Ings is a pure finisher but with a game to back up that one brutal talent he has. 

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 1

Just a CM and I’d be thrilled. I do think CM is our weakest link. Defence is stable enough (not a huge fan of Mings but let’s see what he can do after a strong euros and some more responsibility), going forward we are very potent now, it’s just in the middle. I don’t really think McGinn or Douglas Luiz showed much last season and Sanson is a bit of an unknown at this point. One quality midfielder to take McGinn’s place and we will be in a very very strong position. 

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Just a CM and I’d be thrilled. I do think CM is our weakest link. Defence is stable enough (not a huge fan of Mings but let’s see what he can do after a strong euros and some more responsibility), going forward we are very potent now, it’s just in the middle. I don’t really think McGinn or Douglas Luiz showed much last season and Sanson is a bit of an unknown at this point. One quality midfielder to take McGinn’s place and we will be in a very very strong position. 

Your talking about players who play for their country. Some like Sanson have CL experience.

Luiz was playing against Pau Torres, Olmo, Oyarzabel, Gil and Arsenio in the Olympic final against Spain, but not good enough for the Villa midfield?

Just now, QldVilla said:

Luiz was playing against Pau Torres, Olmo, Oyarzabel, Gil and Arsenio in the Olympic final against Spain, but not good enough for the Villa midfield?

Don't think I've ever seen somebody use a player's opposing line up as an indicator of their ability before. That's genuinely tickled me.😁

9 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Don't think I've ever seen somebody use a player's opposing line up as an indicator of their ability before. That's genuinely tickled me.😁

Really, they've been using it as an excuse for Grealish leaving etc etc, he needs to play with better players around him to become better.

The same analogy exists that an ordinary player would look ordinary playing against world class players.

Just now, QldVilla said:

Really, they've been using it as an excuse for Grealish leaving etc etc, he needs to play with better players around him to become better.

The same analogy exists that an ordinary player would look ordinary playing against world class players.

Yeah but I have no idea if Luiz played well from you merely listing who he played against . It was just funny to me imagining a scout sending back a report saying "well he shared the pitch with some top players last week"

Just now, Brumerican said:

Yeah but I have no idea if Luiz played well from you merely listing who he played against . It was just funny to me imagining a scout sending back a report saying "well he shared the pitch with some top players last week"

I have no control over what you imagined, I wasn't delivering a scout report.

I did watch all his games, including his appearances for Brazil in Copa America. He was very good at the Olympics, controlled the midfield and delivered some world class passes. He is also back up in the Brazil national team to Casemiro and Fabinho, maybe you've heard of them?

Amazing you don't find people making general comments with no sound evidence as amusing.

Just now, QldVilla said:

I have no control over what you imagined, I wasn't delivering a scout report.

I did watch all his games, including his appearances for Brazil in Copa America. He was very good at the Olympics, controlled the midfield and delivered some world class passes. He is also back up in the Brazil national team to Casemiro and Fabinho, maybe you've heard of them?

Amazing you don't find people making general comments with no sound evidence as amusing.

I imagined how good his opposition was based on the information you provided.

It's only now where you've specifically focused on Luiz and how HIS OWN perfomance should indicate his level of ability rather than just listing players on the other team that Doug shared a pitch with.

I find everything amusing by the way (Because I once sat at a bus stop with some old fogies who were amused by mundane things at an elite level.)

• Like 2