Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

Would love to see us go for Xaver Schlager - read an article about him a while ago will see if I can find it. I think he’s only 23 and would bring the physicality we need in midfield 

Xaver article

Thanks in no small part to Xaver Schlager, Wolfsburg have UEFA Champions League football to look forward to and Austria are into the UEFA Euro 2020 knockout rounds. bundesliga.com pieces together his story...

Xaver Schlager
Position: Midfielder
Club: Wolfsburg

Key stats

Schlager, born in Linz, was only 12 when he was invited into the RB Salzburg academy, and he rose through the ranks seamlessly before being given his first taste of professional football in Austria's second division, at Liefering, when he was only 17.

He spent two seasons on loan at Liefering before returning to Salzburg, with whom he debuted on 10 May 2016 – still just 18. Four Austrian Bundesliga titles and four Austrian cups later, Schlager took the next step in his career, switching one Bundesliga for another and joining Wolfsburg – just as Salzburg finally ended their long wait for UEFA Champions League qualification, succeeding at the 11th time of asking.

Watch: Wolfsburg's game with Xaver Schlager at its core

"I saw for myself how, when you think too much about it, it can affect your performances," Schlager said of the four close calls he and Salzburg had with qualification which, each year, seemed to be increasingly inevitable, but – each time – ended in bitter disappointment. He made amends in only his second season with the Wolves, however.

With 428 challenges won, Schlager was the third most successful tackler in the Bundesliga in 2020/21, behind Stuttgart's Wataru Endo and Bielefeld's Fabian Klos. In addition, the 5'8" battle-axe scored two and set up a further four as he inspired Wolfsburg to a return to the Champions League, linking the defence and the attack with his lung-busting runs. He moved past 20 senior international caps at the UEFA 2020 Euros.

Plays a bit like: Bastian Schweinsteiger

Think of a modern, German box-to-box midfielder and you would have to think of Bastian Schweinsteiger.

The former Bayern Munich and Manchester United man was the beating heart of the Germany national team from 2004 to 2014, when he crowned his career with victory at the FIFA World Cup

Like Bastian Schweinsteiger, Schlager is capable of running the midfield.

Comfortable on the ball, creative and a playmaker par excellence, 'Schweini's' venomous shot from distance meant he also chipped in with his fair share of – largely spectacular – goals. Schlager shares Schweini uncanny ability to set the tone from a deep-lying position and make wise moves into space, opening opponents up and creating gaps for his teammates to exploit.

Did you know?

Schlager is a big Arsenal fan and named Thierry Henry as one of his favourite players when he was growing up. He was also attracted to coaching at an early age, and says Pep Guardiola is his role model, especially the team he formed at Barcelona: "He was formidable, I look back at videos of him today and wonder how they did it, it was amazing."

Like his former Wolfsburg coach Oliver Glasner, Schlager donates a proportion of his salary to the Common Goal initiative.

What they're saying

"I don't think I'd like to come against me as an opponent – I might not have the best technique, but I work hard, I'm uncomfortable and I like to do things as quick as possible." – Schlager

"I'd like to get forward myself from time to time, but with the speed Xaver goes at, I just stay where I am so we're covered defensively. We now know the runs each of us is going to make and don't have to talk so much, it just works." – Wolfsburg midfield partner Maximilian Arnold

"I love players who can play in many different positions, and that's definitely the case with him. I'm absolutely convinced of his quality." – Austria coach Franco Foda

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Haha, well played.

What I meant is, how much it will boost our ability to spend even more money than we originally intended.

Would this depend on the payment structure?

For example, it is was a lump sum of 100 mill, or 75 mill up front, does it majorly improve our FFP standing, and ability to spend say 200 - 250mill?

For FFP the players cost is spread over the years in their contract. If we buy a player for £40m on a 4 year contract he’d go down as costing £10m this year. 

So in theory, with £100m coming in you could then go out and buy 10 £40m players on 4 year deals. 

The only catch being you’d have to find that £100m again for the next four seasons as well.

Obviously we’re not going to spend like that but it definitely gives us a lot more flexibility in our spending strategy. 

Just now, theboyangel said:

Sadly, without Jack our attraction as a club/employer dips for prospective players. 

However, onwards and upwards with reinforcements, which has been great to date under the current regime.

Agreed villa will never learn 

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Well well im here trying to relax and enjoy my holiday in Jamaica but im sad right now my boy Grealish wont be at VP he kept me buzzing that lad did but let me not get too down and we need a huge signing to try and fill that gap , however i dont think anyone can but we should have asked that Oil club for bernardo silva or maybe even Sterling to cushion the blow. I wont be satisfied with Ward-Prowse or Todd Cantwell absolutely no way , we need someone with the same skill levels as JG like the two man city players i mentioned above , we can still go places if we were to sign someone of that ilk imo , i just hope we get it right. 

Prepare to be disappointed. You think Sterling or Silva would come to Villa? 

10 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

Agreed villa will never learn 

I’ve been around when we lost Yorke, Barry, Milner, et al.

We never ever learn, and we never break the cycle.

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The rules have been made to make it that we can't break the cycle though.

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I don't think that's fair, I think they've tried everything to keep Jack. I also think this time it's different, we are at the beginning of an upward curve that started at 16th (ish) in the Championship and will take us back ot the heights again.

• Like 2