Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Just now, Jas10 said:

If Jack is really off… I hope we don’t blow our budget and overpay for British based “names”… we genuinely need to improve and upgrade the team as a whole and strike good deals where we can. Would hate for us to waste funds…

Who's on your wishlist, Jas? 

So, 120m to spend, for me:

• 35m - LW or CAM - depending on where Bailey/Buendia are planned to play. (ie: Kamada, ASM, McNeil, Brandt, Damsgaard etc)
  • 30m - DM (6)
  • 35m - JWP
  • 20m - DC & GK as needed. (or freebies, whatever)
Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I'll defer to folks with more knowledge of Serie A. I thought he was highly regarded, even before the Euros. 

A hot prospect, sure. But so few goals and assists, over the course of a season, is a concern…

Attacking stats are poor on fbref (excellent defensively).

But who knows? So young and could turn out to be amazing…

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

With it being so close to the start of the new season and our record pretty poor without Grealish my guess is we will go for PL experience and being so late will most certainly overpay for players too.

I think we should get Nathan Baker back.

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

So, 120m to spend, for me:

• 35m - LW or CAM - depending on where Bailey/Buendia are planned to play. (ie: Kamada, ASM, McNeil, Brandt, Damsgaard etc)
  • 30m - DM (6)
  • 35m - JWP
  • 20m - DC & GK as needed. (or freebies, whatever)

So you think we need JWP and another DM? Surely we have enough in Luiz and Marv? 

Just now, Herman22 said:

So you think we need JWP and another DM? Surely we have enough in Luiz and Marv? 

Luiz has 2 years on his contract, and has been hot and cold, Nakamba isnt a top 6 DM.

I would love to see:

NEW DM - JWP

Bailey - Buendia - NEW

Watkins

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Luiz has 2 years on his contract, and has been hot and cold, Nakamba isnt a top 6 DM.

I would love to see:

NEW DM - JWP

Bailey - Buendia - NEW

Watkins

I think Luiz is better further forward. He should be fighting with McGinn and Sanson for a start as a more advanced centre midfielder. But having players like Bailey and Buendia gives great flexibility. 

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I would love to see:

NEW DM - JWP

Bailey - Buendia - NEW

Watkins

So a complete new attack then bar Watkins going into the season? You crazy. McGinn, Samson, Luiz, Nakamba, Traore and EG will all feature.

Gonna be hard to get deals done with this huge fee after coming in, assuming now it's pay over the odds for proved premier players or its get value on high risk similar to bailey

Edited by pete101

Probably cost 35 plus but would love Oyarzabal from Sociedad. Thank would be an exceptional signing and still only 24 years old. Very hard I'm sure but just a thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Who's on your wishlist, Jas? 

I know it sounds silly, but I’ve still not completely given up hope on Jack staying yet…

We would be in a great position and ready to kick on…

Unfortunately, if the worst happens, it’s going to set us back heavily, at least in the short term…

Will be an unpredictable season, we have no idea how well our players will perform or gel…

Names? I can suggest a few names but I’m not sure if they align with the strategy of the club… it’s up to Lange and co to really pull off some amazing deals now and not blow or waste our budget.

My dream signing will always be Milinkovic-Savic… it’s just not going to happen but it would actually be worth spending big on a player of such high quality.

More realistically? Kamada would be a smart signing.

De Arrascaeta, Alvarez… sure

So much attacking talent out there. The fact that we can lure Bailey here is exciting so we could set our sights higher than initially thought… how about a Berardi or Locatelli? Olmo? Oyarzabal? Maybe too ambitious…

There are a lot of players that can help us out there… hope we broaden our horizons and find the best ones for us…

But I have a feeling we’re less likely to be taking “perceived risks” right now and that worries me a little… the problem is we have don’t have a massive amount of time left…

I’m not against buying British based players, it’s the lack of value that worries me. You can get much better players at much better prices from the other top leagues…

We need a DM or physical presence with quality on the ball in MF such as Sangare, Anguissa, Kamara, Tchouameni or Zakaria…

These players would cost less, contribute more and be better value than a JWP. But if we could somehow get JWP for around £30-35m, I’m not against it… but why bring in players who are similar or not much better than what we have? Take the free kicks away (a valuable weapon), and he is not an exceptional player… unless he can play as a DM, what’s the point?

Personally, I would be upset if we blew our funds on JWP, Tammy & Tuanzebe. That doesn’t really strengthen or enhance our first XI and would certainly not fill the void left by Jack. His attacking ability, dribbling, creativity, attacking output…. it’s going to be hard to replace that and it would probably be better if that was shared out amongst a few quality players rather than just one. Thereby, making us a better team and more effective attacking force… we can’t keep being overly reliant on one player…

Good to have Bailey and Buendia with us… that’s a start…

I’d rather we avoid the obvious names and clamour for them and wisely identify and sign the best players at the best value that can make us a force… what’s the point in having a scouting team otherwise?

• Like 3

According to Transfermarkt JWP has played 5 out of 322 games for Southampton at DCM. I have him pegged more as a CM or DLP so not sure why we need him since we already have Luiz, Sanson, McGinn and Ramsey there.

He might be an improvement on these guys but he certainly isn't the back 4 protector that people are calling for, he's not very strong or powerful and I've found him more of a attacking threat than a defensive rock.

For the money he'd cost I certainly hope we are not in for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Gonna be hard to get deals done with this huge fee after coming in, assuming now it's pay over the odds for proved premier players or its get value on high risk similar to bailey

I’d prefer us to take the “risks” as some say/believe.

There are so many talented players that could be bought for good value. Why overspend on “names” or PL based players?

You could sign 3-4 potential stars with potential world class talent. Rather than blow 100m on 2 British based “names”…

• Like 3