Jump to content

Summer transfer window 2021


zab6359
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Thank you @MaVilla I’ve just found that thread. I just found this which I think answers my question. I think (s)he’s basically saying we can afford Bailey on top of Buendia and Young and still possibly a further  £20 mil player but only if we sell one or two squad players. Not quite as good news as I wanted but actually shows that we’re not just ‘spending the Grealish money’ we do appear to be spending within our means, but unfortunately aren’t going to be splashing the cash wildly if we manage to keep JG. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, numbers aren’t my strong point!

 

That still leaves us about £10m spare (without any more outgoings and no major revenue increase), which basically allows you £30m player on £80k wage (£30m amortised over 5 years = £6m plus £4m wages),  Bailey for example.

However if you look closely, our 17/18 season will drop off from the calculations next year, and as it was a particulary bad year, it gives us another £10m or so to play with this summer.

Selling Hourihane for example for £5m, frees up another £7m (£5m profit on the sale as he has hardly any value left on our books and £2m wages). That allows you a £20m player on £60k wage.

So overall, it's not looking too bad, assuming we didn't go over last year.


 

 

 

 

 

cool, so basically, with zero player sales, we can:

1) Afford 30m for a player (Bailey or similar), with an available salary of circa 80k.

2) We will then have roughly 10m to spare?

3) Any players sales can be added to the total(s)

4) so if we maxed out expenditure this summer, without any sales, we can expect to spend no more than 73m ish (33m - Buendia, 30m - Bailey (or similar), 10m - other) ?

 

Is that a fair assessment?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

cool, so basically, with zero player sales, we can:

1) Afford 30m for a player (Bailey or similar), with an available salary of circa 80k.

2) We will then have roughly 10m to spare?

3) Any players sales can be added to the total(s)

4) so if we maxed out expenditure this summer, without any sales, we can expect to spend no more than 73m ish (33m - Buendia, 30m - Bailey (or similar), 10m - other) ?

 

Is that a fair assessment?

 

Yes pretty much. Although some of that spare money might have to reserved for improved contract for Jack and sanson which came in halfway last accounting period and who I didn't include in my calculations.

So realistically after signing Bailey, we will have to sell somebody like Hourihane or Elghazi to balance the books if we want further incomings.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

cool, so basically, with zero player sales, we can:

1) Afford 30m for a player (Bailey or similar), with an available salary of circa 80k.

2) We will then have roughly 10m to spare?

3) Any players sales can be added to the total(s)

4) so if we maxed out expenditure this summer, without any sales, we can expect to spend no more than 73m ish (33m - Buendia, 30m - Bailey (or similar), 10m - other) ?

 

Is that a fair assessment?

 

That’s how I read it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Yes pretty much. Although some of that spare money might have to reserved for improved contract for Jack and sanson which came in halfway last accounting period and who I didn't include in my calculations.

So realistically after signing Bailey, we will have to sell somebody like Hourihane or Elghazi to balance the books if we want further incomings.

FFPs a bitch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

Semi-relevant as they're players that have been suggested in here previous, but Palace are trucking along quite nicely this window in terms of freshening things up. Olise, Guehi and have just announced Andersen as well as being in for midfielders apparently. 

Andersen is a good signing, he would have been ideal for our 3rd CB spot. I know Fulham were awful last year but he looked impressive and became the club captain even though he was only on loan, not sure I've seen that happen before. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I'm not sure that transfers are accounted for that way.

It's our old friend amortisation and how contracts are valued that complicates things.

I wouldn't be surprised if with a bit of creativity we can spend a considerable sum.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


18 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

Andersen is a good signing, he would have been ideal for our 3rd CB spot. I know Fulham were awful last year but he looked impressive and became the club captain even though he was only on loan, not sure I've seen that happen before. 

Problem there is he wouldn't settle for being a reserve here as he could just do that at Lyon so going to Palace makes sense as they've released likes of Cahill and Sakho.

It's a difficult one to sign I think given how well Hause played so no guarentee they'll even come in if the regular two get injured. Expecting Lange to help the manager out here in next month really.

We simply can't gamble getting through to January with just Mings, Konsa and Hause though. Mings been playing non stop for a year and often pulls up at end of games so would be far too risky. Who'd even step in if we were missing two at the same time, Luiz or one of the young lads? Although a few of them are being loaned out now.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

I think we can spend a lot more but would need to redress the balance next year (unless we get into Europe). They’ve stretched the loss making period over several years due to COVID 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Problem there is he wouldn't settle for being a reserve as he could just do that at Lyon so going to Palace makes sense as they've released likes of Cahill and Sakho.

It's a difficult one to sign I think given how well Hause played so no guarentee they'll even come in if the regular two get injured. Expecting Lange to help the manager out here in next month really.

We simply can't gamble getting through to January with just Mings, Konsa and Hause though. Mings been playing non stop for a year and often pulls up at end of games so would be far too risky. Who'd even step in if we were missing two at the same time, Luiz or one of the young lads? Although a few of them are being loaned out now.

Good point, I forgot Cahill / Sakho had gone. He'll be straight in their first 11 in that case. 

Its a tricky spot to fill for us, we need someone good enough but who won't be demanding to be in the first 11 straight away. I'd imagine it will be a right footer who will play understudy to Konsa, and Hause will understudy Mings. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Celtic out of the CL, not sure what this means for Odsonne Edouard's price or if we are even interested.

Fans were going berserk during the match about him being useless on twitterverse.  Sounds like he had a nightmare or couldn’t be bothered (might mean he’s off)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fans were going berserk during the match about him being useless on twitterverse.  Sounds like he had a nightmare or couldn’t be bothered (might mean he’s off)

Sounds like he's been that way for a while from all reports

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Sounds like he's been that way for a while from all reports

Wow, I didn’t know that.  I saw his name trending on Twitter and post after post was very critical.  If he’s been like this for a while no wonder Rogers at Leicester passed on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Celtic out of the CL, not sure what this means for Odsonne Edouard's price or if we are even interested.

He's gone right off the boil. 

Showing worse form than Leigh Griffith's texting skills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter

I would be surprised to see us interested in a striker of Edouard's level. We play with one striker without fail and it's obvious Watkins is the man there. Anyone we brought in up front is either going to be a development buy or someone for the bench.

Tbh unless someone goes out I don't see us buying a striker. And even then we might push someone from the Academy in the gap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Wow, I didn’t know that.  I saw his name trending on Twitter and post after post was very critical.  If he’s been like this for a while no wonder Rogers at Leicester passed on him.

I think they passed on him because they weren’t willing to pay the fee Celtic were demanding thanks to that PSG clause.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Anyone been watching the Olympic football games? Any decent players/youngsters we could attract?

Cunha any good, for example?

Almada, Kubo? 

Edited by Jas10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â