Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

40 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m afraid you’re probably right. We could keep Jack and sign two Leon Baileys and I don’t think we’d get into Europe without a quality no.6.

We don’t protect the back 4 enough and still allow too many shots at Martinez in goal. 

That’s why we’ll be signing JWP. He’s the most obvious solution to our problem. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I didn't watch the game. I'm also basing my opinion of Nakamba's improved passing from last season and the stats from FBREF. In our starting 11 there's at least 7 players who are more creative than him. Nakamba's job is to win the ball (which he does very very well)  and then give it to one of the more creative players which he does.

He struggles with 'progressive' passing. He obviously knows this and plays within his limitations. 

The debate is whether Will Hughes' passing is 'way better than his' - it isn't. It might be better (debatable)  but it's not 'way' better.

You should have clarified the debate for me before, I was just replying to your post suggesting anyone that thinks Nakamba isn't good at passing is perpetuating a myth and refusing to judge him past the 19/20 season.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You should have clarified the debate for me before, I was just replying to your post suggesting anyone that thinks Nakamba isn't good at passing is perpetuating a myth and refusing to judge him on the 19/20 season.

Pretty sure I bolded the bit I was responding to. My bad I didn't. 

2 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Right back isn't he?

Nah. Maybe he's right footed and used to be, but got pushed to the other side to accommodate Hayden too. This season I watched quite a bit of u23s and he was always on the left.

44 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m afraid you’re probably right. We could keep Jack and sign two Leon Baileys and I don’t think we’d get into Europe without a quality no.6.

We don’t protect the back 4 enough and still allow too many shots at Martinez in goal. 

You don’t think that Douglas Luiz is a quality number 6?

27 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Nope, I'm basing it on now and I agree his passing has improved massively. 

Didn't you notice on the weekend how  many easy forward passes he ignored? Or the hospital pass in our own box? Or the shit touches where he would have lost the ball in the PL? I know it was only a friendly so I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt as he's already improved loads. 

We really need to get past the arrogance of assuming someone must be forming an opinion from a time you thought he was shit, rather than just not agreeing with you. Because if we go down that route and you genuinely think Nakamba is better at passing than Hughes I could just as easily say you clearly watch no football at all. 

As for the argument that as a team we're better with a more defensively minded guy that keeps it simple, I think that's a perfectly reasonable opinion even if I don't agree. 

just as a matter of interest....Do you agree that on many occasions last season we had an issue stopping the ball from storming through our midfield in to our danger zone?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

That’s why we’ll be signing JWP. He’s the most obvious solution to our problem. 

disappointed we haven't so far....but I must be patient.

21 minutes ago, RicRic said:

We really should have signed Weston Mckinnie when we had the slight chance 🤔 who is out there to fill that gap which ultimately means replacing Douglas Luiz 

Thats not necesarily true....it means Dougie would have to fight for his place.

Just now, TRO said:

just as a matter of interest....Do you agree that on many occasions last season we had an issue stopping the ball from storming through our midfield in to our danger zone?

Absolutely. I also noticed a few occasions on the weekend where it happened just as easily with Nakamba there because he pressed way to aggressively and they waltzed through. I often don't think McGinn or Luiz work anywhere near hard enough to get back when they have been passed either.

For me most of the problems seem to come from lack of positional discipline and the player tasked with sitting there not doing so, rather than inability to close a player down or tackle. I like to think with the addition of Buendia pressing from the front and a fast winger like Bailey then Luiz could be absolutely lethal staying deep (ie no wandering) and playing longer passes.

Luiz didn't improve near as much as I expected last season, but I think he was the victim of playing a double pivot where neither of them would stay back. I thought he was way better in a 4-3-3 as he knew he was expected to sit and we also saw much more of him coming deep to get the ball. Add to that Barkley being in front...

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You don’t think that Douglas Luiz is a quality number 6?

I don't think he is a No6.....His attributes in my humble opinion are not commensurate with a No6 as I define a No6.

I think its unfortunate for him, he is played there, because he will inevitably be appraised as one.....FWIW I don't think John McGinn is a No 6 either.

Just now, TRO said:

I don't think he is a No6.....His attributes in my humble opinion are not commensurate with a No6 as I define a No6.

I think its unfortunate for him, he is played there, because he will inevitably be appraised as one.....FWIW I don't think John McGinn is a No 6 either.

I'm surprised you don't see a number 6 as a CB considering how long you've been following the game!

5 minutes ago, sne said:

No real surprise that Juventus was a more desirable prospect than Villa was, or that that the Leeds boy Phillips wanted to stay at Leeds, or that Leicester is a more desirable destination than we are and so on and so on.

This whole Smith doesn't understand how a midfield work or that he doesn't value defensive players is nonsense. We've clearly tried to sign one in Phillips (and Weston McKennie who' at least has intensity and workrate)) and I'm certain other targets as well.

We are not in a position where we can just point and sign players, even with PL money. Players we have signed or are linked with are players who are looking to move on and see us as a step or an interesting next move. 

The number of world class DCM's or world class talent DCM's is not that big, and the ones willing to come here is even less. I'm certain that if a player who meets this criteria appears we will be all over it. In the meantime we are adjusting other areas in the squad.

Can't believe how people can be expecting things to happen so fast considering where we were even a year ago. Teams we are competing with have had years and years to build their squads. We are in our 3rd semi-rebuild in 3 years ffs. Finally in a position where we can add the right pieces and build without panic but it's not good enough, unless we play in Europe asap it's a huge failure apparently. 

Absolute state of it.

but what comes first the chicken or the egg.

If we don't sign one we possibly miss out on Europe, unless unlike me you think we can do without one.....and we have to be in europe to sign a decent one.

How did many of the other clubs in the prem outside the top 6 do it....Its defeatest, to say we can't sign one...maybe Dean simply doesn't want to, perhaps we should consider that.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yep, Deano said all along they’d have a proper look at everyone in pre-season before making final decisions.

Ash Young was an opportunity signing imo, and Buendia a top target regardless.

After the Bristol game I think things will start happening recruitment wise in the midfield area - and there may also be two lists of targets, one for Villa today and a Villa post-Grealish. They probably look quite different. 

I don’t anyone disagrees with you about getting in a new 6 either. 

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

I cant see him in that position for us tbh and im not sure how much he would contribute to our overall quality and pushing for Europe

25 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I don't see Ndidi, Romeu or Rice as being particularly good with the ball. All tidy enough, but I certainly wouldn't consider them playmakers.

I guess that's where the main difference on them being difficult to find comes in, because some people would not agree with your assessment of those players. 

Funny how we all see these things differently! 

yes it is.

but you have just focused on play making.....in those positions, i would focus on defending....that said.....I would not expect a CDM to have the touch or ball control of say  Jack Grealish.

If you want the very Best, you need to study Busquets, who can do both.....but not all CDM's are that good, so compromise needs to be employed....doesn't mean lesser versions who are still great are not out there or would suffice.

They ONLY have to be better than Luiz or Nakamba, for us to improve........we are not targeting a champions league place.