Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

No to Tuanzebe, certainly as a DM we don't need projects there. We have two already in Luiz and Nakamba.

If we sign another DM, they need to be clear of what we have already. Not injury ridden CBs who haven't strung a few games together in the best part of 2.5 Seasons.

As a backup to Konsa... Maybe, I'd be OK with that from our point of view... But I don't think it would be right for his development; he needs games, he wouldn't get them playing bit part for us any more than he would have playing bit part for Man United the past two years. He should be targeting a Watford, Bournemouth or ideally for him, Brighton with their 3 CBs he'd slot in nicely and have others to fall back on, other than him and Webster both wanting to be the RCB.

If we got him to backup Konsa and played Tuanzebe-Hause in the early cup rounds and he was there in the event of injury. I'd be happy enough with it, he's an upgrade on Engels, but don't think it's right for his career.

Edited by HalfTimePost

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Good point and worth remembering. Mings was the last "little Villa are getting mugged" story we had to endure, with Bournemouth fans and the usual sports media laughing at us, oh how they laughed.

Not laughing as much nowadays are they.

TBH, non-Villa supporters seem to still think he's shit.  Did you see how much flack he got during the Euros?  He didn't put a foot in wrong and still was getting hounded to be dropped.

• Like 3

Didn't realise he was only still 26!

Shakespeare has experience with the player and I can only guess that if he did come in it was with a specific plan in mind/job he would do for us.

Of course a bigger name would be more enticing but willing to trust the recruitment team and back him to come good - Always great to be pleasantly surprised at someone's success than underwhelmed by big name/big money. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shirtman said:

My first proper post !!!

I see Will Hughes has refused a new contract at Watford and is training with their Under 23s.

I think he might have lost his way of late, but was a real talent when he burst on the scene 8 or 9 years ago.

Still only 26 and managed/ coached by Craig Shakespeare, when latter was at Watford.

Picked up rumours on here we might be interested.

Welcome to the madhouse.

I’d be disappointed if we are after him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I wouldn't. He's a massive upgrade on Hourihane and Lansbury.

Lansbury is gone mate. Hourihane is now back-up for the back-up subs essentially. We have McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba, Sanson, Ramsey all competing for 3 midfield slots. Hughes adds nothing to that

I'd definitely bring in a higher quality CM or DM if we can, but they'd need to be vastly better than Will Hughes to bother

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your time here

23 minutes ago, Shirtman said:

My first proper post !!!

I see Will Hughes has refused a new contract at Watford and is training with their Under 23s.

I think he might have lost his way of late, but was a real talent when he burst on the scene 8 or 9 years ago.

Still only 26 and managed/ coached by Craig Shakespeare, when latter was at Watford.

If someone like Hughes is available on a cut-price deal I'd be all for it. My only concern is stunting opportunities for our youth players in similar positions, but if they end up out on loan and Hourihane leaves, he's competing with the other 4 and would be good competition. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shirtman said:

My first proper post !!!

Right, fish pun please for your second post

31 minutes ago, Shirtman said:

My first proper post !!!

No fish puns or gifs

2/10 for effort -  wnb

welcome to the site 😁

• Like 1