Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

55 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Perfect. I mean.. all of those really. You/Fbref just expressed it much better than myself. 

I do have a slight reservation in we have both McGinn and Buendia in the line-up that we could be dominated by teams with decent heading ability in midfield. 

Most teams these days, even the ones at the bottom of the league, seem to play out from the back and try and keep the ball on the deck. Of course there are still aerial duels but not like it used to be. The lack of height in midfield isn't that much of a concern to me these days.

Maybe on set pieces it comes into play more but then Emi will be taking free-kicks and the likes of McGinn, Sanson, Luiz or Nakamba can sit outside the box to have a shot from knock-downs whilst defensively our full-backs are decent in size, our CB's should match the oppositions and then the likes of Ollie and Jack are decent in size. 

20 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Most teams these days, even the ones at the bottom of the league, seem to play out from the back and try and keep the ball on the deck. Of course there are still aerial duels but not like it used to be. The lack of height in midfield isn't that much of a concern to me these days.

Maybe on set pieces it comes into play more but then Emi will be taking free-kicks and the likes of McGinn, Sanson, Luiz or Nakamba can sit outside the box to have a shot from knock-downs whilst defensively our full-backs are decent in size, our CB's should match the oppositions and then the likes of Ollie and Jack are decent in size. 

in general, headed goals constitute around 15% -20% of all goals scored, it has varied over the last 10 years between those figures.

The Euro's was closer to 20%, so it can be gleaned the trend is that headed goals are on the up.

also dangerous crossfield balls can be cut out by midfielders with aerial prowess, just another tool in the tool box.

It could be affected by the looming health and safety executive interest.

Ps it might be noted, Italy's goal came from a failure to win aerial duels.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Perfect. I mean.. all of those really. You/Fbref just expressed it much better than myself. 

I do have a slight reservation in we have both McGinn and Buendia in the line-up that we could be dominated by teams with decent heading ability in midfield. 

Allardyce's Bolton aren't in PL anymore. Football has moved on and most of the DCMs in PL that people rave about are short. I think Kanté is 5'9"

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Allardyce's Bolton aren't in PL anymore. Football has moved on and most of the DCMs in PL that people rave about are short. I think Kanté is 5'9"

He's 5ft 5 he's **** tiny. 

This Small GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by Steero113
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Sergio Romero on a free?

No brainier if on affordable wages or wages a backup keeper should be on , if he’s  happy to play cup games only that is?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Kante is 5’6

16 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I have to say this transfer window is as of today ugly. Twitter is an absolute cesspool these days - the so called fans piling in/begging/bad mouthing other fans bases around transfers and some of the braini-dead arguments is embarrasing and Villa fans are amongst the worst as as bad as any I can see these days.

I think I am just going to keep away until after the window shuts.

Running the Fish Pun gauntlet and "benni mcarthy/Miguel etc is a joy in comparison!

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I have to say this transfer window is as of today ugly. Twitter is an absolute cesspool these days - the so called fans piling in/begging/bad mouthing other fans bases around transfers and some of the braini-dead arguments is embarrasing and Villa fans are amongst the worst as as bad as any I can see these days.

I think I am just going to keep away until after the window shuts.

I think Villa fans only seem worse because you're more inclined to be embarrassed by your own clubs fans behaviour. You'll also see more villa tweets than any other I'd imagine so get to see the worst. I don't think we're much different from any other club. 

Having said that I stopped using Twitter a couple years back because it had seemed to descend into a mess and I've not missed it. Anything worth reading ends up here within 30 minutes villa related anyway, and a lot of stuff not worth reading seems to be making its way over this season. 

On the bright side - if we have signed 7 players and spent £150m - we'd pretty much know there weren't any more incoming.

As we've only signed 2 - the floodgates are yet to open !!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I think Villa fans only seem worse because you're more inclined to be embarrassed by your own clubs fans behaviour. You'll also see more villa tweets than any other I'd imagine so get to see the worst. I don't think we're much different from any other club. 

Having said that I stopped using Twitter a couple years back because it had seemed to descend into a mess and I've not missed it. Anything worth reading ends up here within 30 minutes villa related anyway, and a lot of stuff not worth reading seems to be making its way over this season. 

Indeed in years gone by. I d look for rumours on here - then hope over to NewsNow to see if anyone was running the story.

Now most of the rubbish is elsewhere and I check here for credible news !!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Indeed in years gone by. I d look for rumours on here - then hope over to NewsNow to see if anyone was running the story.

Now most of the rubbish is elsewhere and I check here for credible news !!!!

That was my transfer window workflow, as well.  Now, the amount of stories with pretend quotes in the headlines -- '''Take my money now': Reactions as Villa prepare superstar offer" (only for the story to be about a new hot dog brand at VP) mean I have to avoid all online content other than VT.

It's scary to be reliant on VT: but between the fishpuns, nork gifs and occasional couch statistician with OCD, it's a decent place to be. 

• Like 1

If we end up with a pretty big hole to fill on our attacking left side in the next few days, I would love us to bid for Allan Saint-Maximin.  The state Newcastle are in, I’m sure they’d be tempted if a sizeable offer was made.

Pedro Neto would have been a good option also but believe he’s still recovering from his terrible knee cap injury and not training yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If we end up with a pretty big hole to fill on our attacking left side in the next few days, I would love us to bid for Allan Saint-Maximin.  The state Newcastle are in, I’m sure they’d be tempted if a sizeable offer was made.

Pedro Neto would have been a good option also but believe he’s still recovering from his terrible knee cap injury and not training yet.

We wont 

• Like 3