Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

40 minutes ago, eholm said:

I would love  to hear a tactical explanation from Dean as to why he doesn’t believe we need this type of CDM. Obvs never gonna happen but would be bloody fascinating to hear how his mind works. 

In short, ball retention and progression. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bobzy said:

Errors - none.  69th centile.

What? 😐 

Because a lot of people didn't make errors. "Errors" in this contact means mistakes leading to a goal. There is generally under 15 per team per season. 

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I know it’s funny how commentators go on about Newcastle fans liking a number 9, like it’s somehow unique that fans like the guy who scores the goals, but it is actually pretty unique that Aston Villa fans seem to worship our central defenders, and probably more than any other position on the pitch. 

AC Milan? 

48 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think European football is a massive ask next season in any case.

I agree, I just know the some of the comments from last season as we fell away and the “what could’ve been” comments when we had no chance then imo, so we’ll wait and see what the comments will be this season

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, eholm said:

I’ve been a fully paid up member of the ‘CDM general is essential’ club for as long as I can remember; it’s fundamental for a successful team, imo. However, I really don’t think Dean share’s this view. IIRC he has never had a physical destroyer type in any of his teams so I am starting to (very) reluctantly accept that this type of signing just ain’t gonna happen. 

As TRO said, some managers e.g. Rodgers, Moyes always like this type of player......Deano just isn’t one of them I don’t think. If this is the case I would love  to hear a tactical explanation from Dean as to why he doesn’t believe we need this type of CDM. Obvs never gonna happen but would be bloody fascinating to hear how his mind works. 

Still hoping though.......

I could go for this if it wasn't for the fact Smith played Nakamba a fair amount towards the back end of the season  and results improved. 

Also most other top teams play with at least 1, City brought back Fernandinho but also have Rodri, Liverpool's form picked up when Fabinho moved back into midfield, Kante etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Hopefully

Big part of why our defence improved last season - Ollie Watkins 

Crazy but true, if him and Buendia can press as a unit then it'll get better again 

Its not crazy, Ollie does a fair off the ball shift and I agree with you, but, I still say Emi M saved us on numerous occasions.

5 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I think we need the following to get through the season without a huge dropoff in form to give us the depth needed.

CB 

DM 

At a push a striker but can't see that personally

Seems our main priority at the moment is CAM/Winger.

32 minutes ago, Tez500 said:

I could go for this if it wasn't for the fact Smith played Nakamba a fair amount towards the back end of the season  and results improved. 

Also most other top teams play with at least 1, City brought back Fernandinho but also have Rodri, Liverpool's form picked up when Fabinho moved back into midfield, Kante etc.

its fundamental imo.

I thought Nakamba had improved his game when I saw him at the end of the season....fingers crossed this continues, his only question mark is his distribution.

but having only one of his type in the whole squad, I will turn a blind eye to his distribution and hope it gets better.

56 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Because Jose isn't proper manager🙄😂😂😂

I meant more about replacing that young kid and their disaster of a managerial search. They still finished 7th with mourinho failing and then having a kid in charge for a few games. 

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Seems our main priority at the moment is CAM/Winger.

yeah.

so we have Grealish, Buendia,Traore,ElGhazi, Philogene-Bidace, maybe Young for those roles....and possibly Bailey or McNeill.

is this smacking of Southgate and his full backs? and 2 strikers.

Look, I love wingers, but come on...lets have some balance.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

yeah.

so we have Grealish, Buendia,Traore,ElGhazi, Philogene-Bidace, maybe Young for those roles....and possibly Bailey or McNeill.

Indeed how many wingers do we need. We literally have no centre back backup. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

its fundamental imo.

I thought Nakamba had improved his game when I saw him at the end of the season....fingers crossed this continues, his only question mark is his distribution.

but having only one of his type in the whole squad, I will turn a blind eye to his distribution and hope it gets better.

I recall Dean explaining that it’s important to have different leaders in your team or squad and not just rely on one captain..

Our GK is captain material. Assured, confident. Influential, inspirational - a leader.

CB - Mings is another captain type (our true captain really, in terms of leadership and organisation).

Midfield - Who’s the leader? The inspiration? The commanding presence? McGinn…Na, nope, not really…

Forwards/winger - Jack is captain, but he does most of his talking on the pitch and leads by example.

CF - Ollie is fantastic, brings so much and another who leads by example. Maybe not a captain, but his work and attitude sets the standard for others…

We need a presence in midfield, it’s that missing link imo, the missing part of that spine…

Even if it’s a young player but they have the necessary quality and room for development and improvement… someone who isn’t panicked or flustered is what we really need. Not in a hurry and doesn’t give it away under pressure…

Examples, again, Sangare, Anguissa, Kamara. There’s got to be more out there that we can afford and integrate too…

Get this right and we are in business… a solid base to build on…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

yeah.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Southgate who played with Rice and Phillips but still could not control the midfield?

Oh FFS, don’t bring that name up again please!

1 hour ago, eholm said:

I’ve been a fully paid up member of the ‘CDM general is essential’ club for as long as I can remember; it’s fundamental for a successful team, imo. However, I really don’t think Dean share’s this view. IIRC he has never had a physical destroyer type in any of his teams so I am starting to (very) reluctantly accept that this type of signing just ain’t gonna happen. 

As TRO said, some managers e.g. Rodgers, Moyes always like this type of player......Deano just isn’t one of them I don’t think. If this is the case I would love  to hear a tactical explanation from Dean as to why he doesn’t believe we need this type of CDM. Obvs never gonna happen but would be bloody fascinating to hear how his mind works. 

Still hoping though.......

yes you have.

He doesn't share this view imo.....but I guess we will just have to wear it....If he can improve us by not addressing what we are suggesting, I will take my hat off to him.

The problem is, when we play and can clearly see the issue, its hard to keep stumm.

To quote a similarity, its like Man City playing with a false 9 ......would they not be more likely to meet their targets with a Kane,Haarland or Lewandowski. Pepe is the best around, but his team can still be improved....the type of players they have just mask the false 9, just like Jacks ability masks our issues( to a degree) in centre midfield, when he's out, it gets exposed more.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tez500 said:

We were 6th worst (tied) in the league for conceding shots, with only two of the relegated sides, Newcastle, Burnley and Leeds worse than us.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/8228/Stages/18685/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2020-2021

That would suggest that despite the clean sheets, Martinez in particular, overperformed. As much as I love the guy, I feel he needs an easier time next year, hence my desire for a defensively minded midfielder.

Whilst this stat in isolation doesn't look great, it doesn't really go into enough detail for it to really mean anything. For example, it doesn't state where on the pitch the shots are coming from. We could be setup defensively to allow the opposition to shoot from far out and to trust either the centre backs to block the shot or for Emi to save it. When changing the view of the defensive stats to 'Rating' we're 3rd best in the league. Though, i'm unsure how the rating is measured.