Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

7 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I reckon Tro is pretty humble. Verbose, but humble and often right. I share his anxiety about our soft midfield and the potential for it to reappear in the upcoming season. Hope I am wrong. We have lots of other attributes, but it was horrible watching us give the ball away and be overrun again and again in the second half of last year. And yes, sure there were reasons, but we need to have an answer if those reasons recur.

Thanks.

For my sins, if I make a point, I like to explain my thinking behind it, in order for someone else to agree or disagree. it allows for an opportunity to be challenged.....if I didn't do that, then I could be accused of arrogance.

However, I do get pretty miffed, when it is the same poster/s who never agrees with anything and pay more attention to me, than the post I am writing....then it starts to get personal.

7 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Lighten up old fella. Sure it was a cheap shot from me, then again you've yapped about the same issue for years. Perhaps you do not remember, but I share your concern myself, but I don't claim to know better than the manager. And I don't think Dean will won't the type of player we advocate. Furthermore I generally agree with you and respect your opinion. 

I don't yapp about anything, I respond to other posters and engage with them based on their posts and not on them.

but I accept your apology😀.....thats Arrogance.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Not feeling very positive TRO?

We have targets lined up, deals take time…

Who knows, most of them could be signing toward the very end of the window…

Thats true of course. But I am half expecting the "I'm happy with my squad" overtures soon !

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thats true of course. But I am half expecting the "I'm happy with my squad" overtures soon !

There's at least two conditions for this, that need to be considered:
1) Happy for where we are ... taking into account reality
2) Happy for where we might want to be, wishful thinking.

Edited by fruitvilla

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yeah, if that’s the case then fans are going to have to accept a likely position next season won’t be a European place and not whinge when we aren’t 5th or 6th most of the season or critical part of the season towards the end as we’ve discussed before.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

See I think if we hold the ball better in the final third in our upcoming season, I do believe pressure will be taken off midfield and beyond.

Survival season and becauseof a breakdown in midfield and wingers we were flooded, last season because we couldn't retain the ball better near opposition land our CDMs and midfield seen more action that the defence, why is that??? I believe it's because while we had difficulty retaining the ball, intercepting it higher up the pitch we still did it a fair bit better than the survival season.

I think it all has a knock on affect and we do things better up the top, then we won't be so flooded in the rest of the pitch. We just have to bring in better players to play further up field. Buendia and Jack and someone else to accompany them and we should keep the control furth up field muchuch better Jas. Watkins as well I'd another reason why our defense is not flooded as much anymore, his style of play and hounding defenders doesn't give them so much time on the ball before they see pressure. Basically we have to be getters of that ball once were in the final third, if we don't got the ball we have to go get it.

You make a point , I am not dismissing Dave....its valid alright.

I just don't think its enough...on its own.

Keeping the ball is great and an important feature, but when we lose it, my concern is we get it back, too deep, we concede too much territory...we then have to travel too far to strike, back.

an example was Italy's goal, where we(England) retreated and retreated and they got a corner, chaos and confusion reigned and the 2 centre backs got the goal.....Burnley, West Ham just the same for us.

We cannot keep defending that deep and expect European football....we have to dominate the ball earlier on the pitch,i.e midfield.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Yeah, if that’s the case then fans are going to have to accept a likely position next season won’t be a European place and not whinge when we aren’t 5th or 6th most of the season or critical part of the season towards the end as we’ve discussed before.

Yeah, I'm not holding out much hope for that. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I believe Buendia will make the difference, even if it's further upfield. 

He looks immense so far, great signing, I didn’t think he was that good. £33m looks a snip, Grealish and Buendia feeding Watkins, yes please 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I believe Buendia will make the difference, even if it's further upfield. 

Hopefully

Big part of why our defence improved last season - Ollie Watkins 

Crazy but true, if him and Buendia can press as a unit then it'll get better again 

• Like 4

I think we are a couple more seasons of investing and development away from pushing for 5th-6th, even if we bring in a DCM & ACM/wide player.

"Only" 10 points away from 6th last season but I expect Arsenal and Spurs to have less terrible seasons this year. Could change depending on Kane leaving of course.

• Like 1

If we are going with the " we are happy as we are" scenario, then Jack could possibly be off. Promises were made to him by NSWE, presumably about the level of incoming players. Cannot see Buendia and Young being the end of our business this summer.

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He looks immense so far, great signing, I didn’t think he was that good. £33m looks a snip, Grealish and Buendia feeding Watkins, yes please 

You’ve got a better eye than me if you can judge good value at 33 million from 2 friendly games against lower league opposition.

Were still 2 quality players short in my eyes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

I think we are a couple more seasons of investing and development away from pushing for 5th-6th, even if we bring in a DCM & ACM/wide player.

"Only" 10 points away from 6th last season but I expect Arsenal and Spurs to have less terrible seasons this year. Could change depending on Kane leaving of course.

Maybe a little off topic, but I don’t see Spurs or Arsenal improving too much. 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Hopefully

Big part of why our defence improved last season - Ollie Watkins 

Crazy but true, if him and Buendia can press as a unit then it'll get better again 

Very good point well made. Just watch Barca and Messi - they press from the front in swarms and try and get the ball back …. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/barcauniversal.com/barcelonas-pressing-intensity-over-the-years/amp/

The unique approach to football consist of 3 P’s: Possession, Position and Pressure. Each of these had its merits and when mastered together brought out the best of football. Generally, the teams which practice the positional play are associated with extravagant attacking prowess. However, defending is also a crucial aspect of this football.

According to Johan Cruyff, having the ball is the best form of defending. So to retrieve the ball when out of possession is essential. Effective pressing is the solution to this problem. Guardiola’s six-second rule perfectly describes the need for immediate pressing. The team must either retrieve the ball within six seconds of losing it or move back to defensive shape if time elapses or ball moves out the pressured zone.

Not sure how Bailey and Traore fit though into this system of high press … Suppose tracking back can be taught and worked on . 

• Like 1

No chance of being “happy as we are”, part of Jack signing a new contract will be the promise of further strengthening and better players coming in.

We’ve already bid for Bailey and should be making another offer soon. We bid for ESR. Literally no sign of our business being done or finished…

Dean and NSWE will want to kick on and give us the best possibility of finishing much higher up the league, we do that by signing better players…within our capabilities to do so of course…

Plenty going in behind the scenes, we haven’t got a clue.

No reason to get nervous or be so pessimistic.

• Like 1

I’ve been a fully paid up member of the ‘CDM general is essential’ club for as long as I can remember; it’s fundamental for a successful team, imo. However, I really don’t think Dean share’s this view. IIRC he has never had a physical destroyer type in any of his teams so I am starting to (very) reluctantly accept that this type of signing just ain’t gonna happen. 

As TRO said, some managers e.g. Rodgers, Moyes always like this type of player......Deano just isn’t one of them I don’t think. If this is the case I would love  to hear a tactical explanation from Dean as to why he doesn’t believe we need this type of CDM. Obvs never gonna happen but would be bloody fascinating to hear how his mind works. 

Still hoping though.......

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Maybe a little off topic, but I don’t see Spurs or Arsenal improving too much. 

I think they've both improved their squads already and spurs seem to be willing to move on a lot of dead wood. 

I think Everton look like they'll struggle to finish higher than last year and with Europe West ham should drop. But any thoughts of us leap frogging multiple teams because we signed Buendia and Young is very premature. 

17 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You ain’t seen nothing yet kid! 😆

• Haha 1