Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Fwiw James turns 24 in a few months so it's not like he's a youngster. He might look like a kid but he's really not.

With an entire world of players available, if we settled on James to improve us something has gone very wrong. No chance we’d be after him, imo. 

• Like 1

Elephant in the room with dissing players like James and McNeil etc is smiths focus on a British core, then knowing the league, and THEN to look at players in the big 5 leagues… where James falls down is playing time in comparison … obviously YouTube vids and cold stats paint a differing picture, but a whole other level of complex data will also be in play which may mean that he isn’t too far behind - he says clutching at straws just in case this link isn’t BS 

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I remember when he said he didn't rate Grealish. 

Half this forum was saying that and not as long ago as people might like to think. Start of 2019-20 there was a good selection saying he wasn’t actually good enough. It’s a funny old game.

7 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Daniel James would be a good signing. Hard working, good pressuring the ball, tracks back. would work well with Ollie Watkins. I’m all for it at the right price.

Yeah doesn’t really excite me but I’m surprised at how opposed people are.

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Sangare & Anguissa are excellent DM candidates… their stats are very impressive and either player seems gettable…

Sangare’s height (aerial prowess), physicality, quality on the ball and defensive contribution would be a huge help:

spacer.png

Boils my p*ss that we didn’t grab this lad last summer when was going (and went) for about €10m. He’d cost triple that now and probably still be worth it. 

Just now, Jas10 said:

Would be a fantastic signing, apparently Juventus are interested but I imagine they'll have to shift a couple players first.

Alssane Plea available reportedly for €15million … We’ve been linked before previously - could be an option 

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2021/alassane-plea-28-could-leave-gladbach-this-window/

Gladbach are looking for around €15m to part with Pléa, which would be an €8m loss on his initial signing, while the German club would prefer Pléa’s sale to losing fellow French striker Marcus Thuram (23). Pléa has contributed 37 goals and 20 assists across all competitions over 107 games for the Bundesliga side so far, including five goals in eight Champions’ League games last season.

More BS Clickbait no doubt but abut her name to dismiss argue over or covert… 

As one recent report noted, PSG is now open to permanent transfer offers for Rafinha.

The PSG talent has garnered plenty of transfer intrigue as of late, and now he can add two more clubs to his list of interested suitors. As noted by the Spanish-based outlet Fichajes.net, Premier League side Aston Villa and Serie A club Lazio are both showing an early interest in signing the Brazilian international.

https://psgtalk.com/2021/07/psg-mercato-rafinha-garnering-transfer-interest-from-lazio-and-aston-villa/

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

Really though? Would we be better off playing two 18ish year olds? Would those two be getting games for Man U?

Not saying I'm keen, but that statement seems a bit hyperbolic!

Dan James is a better option than them today, yeah I agree. But we as a club would be better off giving them games, Dan James is only ever going to be a bench option here and not a very effective one.

On last season's form, when AEG hit that purple patch yes I believe had they both been sat on Uniteds bench, they'd have used him over Dan James.

JPB and Barry? No probably not, but we should be looking to them over £20m+ on Dan James who will never do it. They have the potential, no point putting an expensive ineffective blocker in their way.

All for buying players for the XI, and young players with good potential to improve the XI or squad. But no point buying for the bench for players that will never hit a high level and putting them in the way of our youth. For example, I'd be disappointed by Todd Cantwell but I can see why we'd take him and would be a better move than Dan James.

• Like 1

I'm not interested in talking about rumours unless I have heard from Noel Whelan, Danny Mills and Jamie O'Hara first. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Danishlad said:

Daniel James would be a good signing. Hard working, good pressuring the ball, tracks back. would work well with Ollie Watkins. I’m all for it at the right price.

He was good at Swansea and good when he started up there, if our coaches can see where we can improve him and it improves us then as I've said before I'd support it.

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why are you putting any stock into whatever this rando clown on Twitter says when he has already proven himself to be just another bullshitter in a very long line of them? 

There are NO Villa ITK's anymore. The ship is too tight. Every now and then, little bits might leak and somebody will be right, but it's never going to be one guy. Unless that guy is John Percy, but even he is struggling to get anything concrete ahead of time these days. 

The last two itk were AV Transfers on twitter and Dean's son's mate. Both have now been muzzled... Perhaps literally🤔

Dan James isn't as bad as some are making him out to be.  He's better than El Ghazi and Trezeguet, but you don't progress by just upgrading your bench players, you need players better than or on the same level as your starters.  Buendia is at least on the same level as Jack and Bailey is an upgrade on Traore, but James isn't.  

We now have a squad with 3 elite level starters in Grealish, Buendia, and Martinez, with Watkins, Mings, Konsa, and McGinn (in the right set up) the next tier down.  We have a great spine of a squad, but we need another couple players on the level of the first group to make a serious challenge for Europe.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Dan James isn't as bad as some are making him out to be.  He's better than El Ghazi and Trezeguet, but you don't progress by just upgrading your bench players, you need players better than or on the same level as your starters.  Buendia is at least on the same level as Jack and Bailey is an upgrade on Traore, but James isn't.  

We now have a squad with 3 elite level starters in Grealish, Buendia, and Martinez, with Watkins, Mings, Konsa, and McGinn (in the right set up) the next tier down.  We have a great spine of a squad, but we need another couple players on the level of the first group to make a serious challenge for Europe.  

This is a good point: teams such as ourselves and particularly Everton are guilty of trying to break into the top six by buying players who were considered not good enough by top six clubs. If Daniel James is good enough to push us up to compete with the top six then united would be playing him week in week out.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

This is a good point: teams such as ourselves and particularly Everton are guilty of trying to break into the top six by buying players who were considered not good enough by top six clubs. If Daniel James is good enough to push us up to compete with the top six then united would be playing him week in week out.

(I'm not commenting on Dan James, my comments below are just about generally)

It's getting the balance right as well  because if a player plays regularly for a top six team, they arent going to come to us anyway and if they are playing for another club and a top six talent they arent likely want to come to us.  We either need to find talents that are just outside of the top six talent at the moment, up and coming and will be top six in the future or being misused or not a regular at a top six but can play there but for whatever reason are out of favour, a megastar infront of them or whatever.  I'm not totally on board with the phrase that if they arent playing for their current top six team that they arent a top six player, we have to judge each player individually.