Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

This.

Buendia is a better signing every day of the week. Stealing ESR from Arsenal is a bigger statement.

If we take ESR off of them and he gets into the England squad for the World Cup for example, the message that sends to young talent is insane.

Agree, it just puts us on another plane, one where you think that going back for Saka in future windows is a thing and not just fantasy. 

Olise for £8m is great business.

However, with Eze out till Jan and now Zaha allegedly wanting to move to Arsenal* I can see why for Olise thinks they represent a great opportunity for him. He will be a number 1 starter for atleast half the season. He would be on the bench and fighting for that chance nearly anywhere else in the Prem.

*More importantly, Zaha to Arsenal adds more cover to one of the positions ESR plays for them, a guaranteed starter too. Nice to see them investing our ESR money early before he makes the move

38 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Do people really think that Smith-Rowe is a bigger signing than Buendia? I'd rather have Buendia any day of the week if we could only have one of the two.

Depends how you define a bigger signing I guess?

I think Buendia is a better player. But signing Smith-Rowe is bigger statement of intent. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, beachboys1 said:

wsomeone on twitter not happy with the amount of youngsters and not first team buys

Dominating, love it for a centre back.

24 minutes ago, Creeper said:

Anyone else think that some of our targets are waiting to see if Jack signs a new deal before joining/entering talks?

I think it could be a factor even if it’s not actually being stated. I’d imagine that behind the scenes we’re very confident that he will sign a new deal.

The message going out to potential signings is very much being packaged as, in my opinion, join the Villa project and be part of our journey to the top. Come to the new Villa and grow your career with us. Look at our world class facilities and look at the squad we’ve already got and are going to build on. Come to us and play alongside Jack, Ollie, Super John McGinn and the two Emis. Walk them past the European Cup and tell them we’re not stopping at one of those. Did Arsenal, Man City or Spurs show you theirs? Etc. Etc. 

Apparently the recruitment team are very thorough and professional. Researching the players and their families and properly engaging with them. We’re not messing about here. Money and brains all working together. 

54 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Daichi Kamada

De Arrascaeta

Julian Brandt

All in the same bracket of "attainability" as ESR and miles above Olise in terms of quality and experience. 

Kamada is a good shout.

De Arrascaeta is a bit of a niche pick.

Julian Brandt? He's one of the best players in the Bundesliga full stop - not just in the AMC role. We'd have nearly as much chance of convincing Messi to join us on a free as getting him. Dortmund would want well in excess of 50m, and it's highly, highly unlikely he'd ever join us. Certainly not without European football, but I'd say he would want to be seriously competing for major trophies.

Edited by est1874

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Difficult to determine from the articles.  I read somewhere that he is a central midfielder that is a tough tackler and is also capable of playing as a DCM, so reads like an 8 that can play 6?  I understand that you want a proper 6??  

Not sure Really, its down to interpretation.

i.e whats the difference between a deep lying playmaker and a central defensive midfielder?.......to me you have to be a hybrid of both......The best ones usually are.

If we have any ambition to progress, and I believe we do.......some of these targets need to have more attributes in their armoury, than some of our fringe players.

We may not be able to sign Busquets or Kante( too old now anyway).....but thats the level, we need to aim to get close to.

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Do you genuinely expect us to sign Smith-Rowe? As in, probability-wise, do you think it's more likely he will join us than stay where he is?

It's 50/50 either he joins us or he stays

I think people on here are underrating Smith Rowe, if we were to sign him it would be a massive signing, he turned Arsenal's season around, their form was very good since he came into the side and it wasn't just a coincident, he was their standout performer, I bet he came close to making the England squad for the Euros, he's just unlucky that at the moment England happen to have an  higher than usual amount of very good players of a similar style to him, any other time he probably would have made it, in terms of English playmakers in his age group there's probably only Foden that is better or more highly rated.

I'd be amazed if we managed to sign him; in the Smith Rowe thread there's people laughing at the idea of us signing Maddison, well if you'd have asked me at the start of the window who I thought we'd have a better chance of signing  out of Smith Rowe and Maddison, I would have said Maddison.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

This.

Buendia is a better signing every day of the week. Stealing ESR from Arsenal is a bigger statement.

If we take ESR off of them and he gets into the England squad for the World Cup for example, the message that sends to young talent is insane.

ESR is an exceptional talent, of that I am sure.....England prospect for sure.

but I don't want to big him up too much, before we sign him.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I think people on here are underrating Smith Rowe, if we were to sign him it would be a massive signing, he turned Arsenal's season around, their form was very good since he came into the side and it wasn't just a coincident, he was their standout performer, I bet he came close to making the England squad for the Euros, he's just unlucky that at the moment England happen to have an  higher than usual amount of very good players of a similar style to him, any other time he probably would have made it, in terms of English playmakers in his age group there's probably only Foden that is better or more highly rated.

I'd be amazed if we managed to sign him; in the Smith Rowe thread there's people laughing at the idea of us signing Maddison, well if you'd have asked me at the start of the window who I thought we'd have a better chance of signing  out of Smith Rowe and Maddison, I would have said Maddison.

Totally agree.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

in terms of English playmakers in his age group there's probably only Foden that is better or more highly rated.

So pretty much a donkey then? Because Foden is crap (compared to what people claim he is). He's so overrated. Foden is a fairly average player. I'd feel confident is saying he wouldn't be the best player at any team outside the 3 and Newcastle in the prem. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Kamada is a good shout.

Julian Brandt? He's one of the best players in the Bundesliga full stop - not just in the AMC role. We'd have nearly as much chance of convincing Messi to join us on a free as getting him. Dortmund would want well in excess of 50m, and it's highly, highly unlikely he'd ever join us. Certainly not without European football, but I'd say he would want to be seriously competing for major trophies.

Brandt doesn't play. They have Reus, and Formerly sancho now Malen in the 2 behind the striker and they play with a flat midfield Brandt is apparently available for 40 million and he'd be a fantastic signing imo. 

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

Daichi Kamada

De Arrascaeta

Julian Brandt

All in the same bracket of "attainability" as ESR and miles above Olise in terms of quality and experience. 

If I'm honest, I think the players you have mentioned are actually more attainable than ESR. From the outside looking in anyway. ( Maybe aside from Brandt)

Would love any of them.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Kamada is a good shout.

I wouldn't rule us out of signing anyone at present, ( within reason).....I think the word has got around in football circles, that we have serious owners, who are putting their money, behind very competent staff.

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

So pretty much a donkey then? Because Foden is crap (compared to what people claim he is). He's so overrated. Foden is a fairly average player. I'd feel confident is saying he wouldn't be the best player at any team outside the 3 and Newcastle in the prem. 

I think he’s awesome, he was outstanding in the 2020 Carabao Cup Final. He ran the show that day, it’s hard to believe he’s only 21, it feels like he’s been around for ages 

• Like 1