Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I have to admit Fbref has become a bit of a thing for me recently as it’s good to compare players that were linked to. It’s also good as it gives you a nice comparison table at the bottom of similar players. 

as good as it is though I think it’s still down to watching the player closely, getting a feel for character and how they’d ‘fit in’ here. 

Watkins stats aren’t that great on Fbref but he’s been amazing for us and just fit. 

that’s down to the people in charge here doing their research so I just them to get it right more time than not. 

I do want us to widen our net a bit though so enjoy the links to that Flamengo guy, Alvarez, etc. Staying with tried and tested players in the league itself costs you more in the long run. I’m hoping for a bit of both really. 

I have to admit though I’m not onboard the ESR train though, tidy player but we can do better abroad. 

Would like Kamara, he seems quite dynamic and has a good range of passing but I also quit like Caqueret at Lyon too. He seems a bit more ‘Kante’ esque to me. Does the simple break up play stuff that’s vital and often overlooked for more flair players.

So, pre season starts tomorrow. We are 6 weeks away from the resumption of the PL and we still have a bit of work to do! 
My view is that we need a reserve GK (Gazzaniga was linked but that’s gone quiet), a young CB, a defensive midfielder and an ACM. We seem to be focusing on the ACM. I suspect we want to get him in asap and then we will see where we are. I suspect that anything else above that will be young players with potential such as Sarr and Alvarez but a lot will depend on how much the key players cost and maybe how many leave.

Should be an exciting few weeks. Hopefully we will get another signing this week purely based on the fact that it’s all gone a bit quiet!

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

What's the deal with Alvarez re work permit?

Posted this before in his thread:

Due to his sporting performance, Aston Villa would automatically obtain permission to register River Julian Alvarez's player for reaching the 15 points required by the new Premier League recruitment system for foreign players based on:

Matches with the senior and youth team (sub 20 juice) Ninth FIFA ranking.

League of origin, Argentina is classified as a first level league.

Quality of the selling team and its position in the league.

games played with the club.

In case of obtaining the player, the work permit does not count as a foreign quota.

A maximum quota of 3 foreign players under 21(Alvarez is 20 years old) that a club can sign is allowed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Not sure if people on here started using Fbref stats after I started using them, or people were always using them and I just never noticed.

@MotoMkali brought it to my attention

I don’t believe stats tell the whole story (so many factors to take into account including, league, opposition and team)

but it’s a very useful tool

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Not sure if people on here started using Fbref stats after I started using them, or people were always using them and I just never noticed.

Think I saw you use them. And got annoyed when who scored didn't have a start I wanted so I looked at fbref.

CB is probably the only position where we must sign someone as we only have 3 squad members that can play there and no one in the Academy that can really step up right now. ACM, DCM and GK are needed, but we can make do with what we currently have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

CB is probably the only position where we must sign someone as we only have 3 squad members that can play there and no one in the Academy that can really step up right now. ACM, DCM and GK are needed, but we can make do with what we currently have.

I agree but making do would concern me, we really need to push on and try to get into Europe. Need to strengthen where we can and take advantage of opportunities, especially to get better players in.

The top sides rarely stand still in this league, it’s easy to fall behind unless you keep buying and strengthening each season, refreshing the squad too. Usually pay the price for complacency.

I am excited by Buendia but I don’t think it’s enough… confident we’ll be spending fairly heavily though, more business to do.

I only see Young as a signing for the squad and to bring some experience and inspiration, hopefully he can bring some of Conte’s ideas in as tools for us to use. He gets his players super fit and demands a lot from them.

27 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

What's the deal with Alvarez re work permit?

I must admit, I’m quite desperate for us to sign this kid. Imo, it’s low risk and low fee, he could be an amazing talent.

Signing foreign players doesn’t frighten me as it seems to for many other ppl, it’s up to the scouting team to get the right ones in.

Could be a masterstroke of a signing that tends to be made by the more famous/successful/renowned clubs. If we could do it, it would be so positive for us. We could have a huge star on our hands…it’s worth taking such a “risk” (- as others would put it).

• Like 1

Kamara or Kepheren Thuram would be my picks for CDM. I may have said this once or twice before lol. 

Edit  - can someone have a look at his fbref thingy and see if it's good or not?. Thuram that is.

Edited by Sulberto21

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Back to Kamara, the stats and comparisons would suggest that he is a superior player to Soumare - who Leicester signed and seems popular/rated…

Does Soumare come straight in? Can't see Ndidi and Tielemans dropping out of central 2 unless they changing formations 

Does Soumare come straight in? Can't see Ndidi and Tielemans dropping out of central 2 unless they changing formations 

He's probably been signed in preparation for when one of them depart.

No idea, probably not. Can he drop into defence?

Man Poo have been linked to Ndidi, doubt it will happen as I’m sure Leicester would demand a monstrous fee a la Maguire.

They just continue to build a great squad over there…

Odegaard essentially confirming he isn't going back to Arsenal is all the more sweet considering the way some Arsenal fans acted upon missing signing Buendia as they said that they weren't that interested in him and Odegaard was their number 1 target.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Odegaard essentially confirming he isn't going back to Arsenal is all the more sweet considering the way some Arsenal fans acted upon missing signing Buendia as they said that they weren't that interested in him and Odegaard was their number 1 target.

Although this won't help anyone interested in any of Arsenal’s current 10s!

• Like 1