Jump to content

Summer transfer window 2021


zab6359
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He was horrific in 5-5 vs Forest but maybe one off and Hourihane was revolving door in defence in front of him. Do you think he wants to move from one bench to another? I doubt it 

I remember that match, I doubt he’ll want to move from one bench to another but he has become stale at Man Utd. He needs to move on for the sake of his career, be it to us or another team

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

You have Traore with 13 goal involvements in 2300 mins with no pre season who you think is rubbish but you want to sign a kid after watching one game because he's fast besides the fact he signed 5 year deal with new club in October 2020. You couldn't make it up

Traore is rubbish. Which is why we’ve signed someone that will take his place already. 

The comment about Doku was tongue in cheek. But did you see the bit where he runs fast? Yeh, that’s something Traore can’t do either. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He was horrific in 5-5 vs Forest but maybe one off and Hourihane was revolving door in defence in front of him. Do you think he wants to move from one bench to another? I doubt it 

11 players are allowed on the pitch at anyone time, so the rest of the match day squad have to sit on the bench. Over the course of the season however we will use many more than 11 players. The higher you look up the table the stronger the squads are and probably you’ll find the more players those teams use during the season. Part of the proses of advancing up the table is to build a strong squad with players on the bench that are, as far as possible as good as those starting. You know the reasons, injury, suspensions, loss of form etc.

Managing the squad is part of the job for coaches these days, a very important part. Recent history tells us that failure to build and manage a quality squad restricts progress, MON was an old style manager, whose failure to manage the squad properly resulted in our season petering out every year at around about March. Just last season we saw that the injury to Jack cost us massively. I’m not saying we can have another Jack on the bench but with a stronger squad perhaps we could have given Jack the odd game off and kept him fit. Or at least been able to mitigate his absence more. 

It’s not 1981 when squads were smaller. We were the best team in the league then but also we got lucky with injuries. Even back then only using 13 players in a season was remarkable. It’s a squad game now. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

11 players are allowed on the pitch at anyone time, so the rest of the match day squad have to sit on the bench. Over the course of the season however we will use many more than 11 players. The higher you look up the table the stronger the squads are and probably you’ll find the more players those teams use during the season. Part of the proses of advancing up the table is to build a strong squad with players on the bench that are, as far as possible as good as those starting. You know the reasons, injury, suspensions, loss of form etc.

Managing the squad is part of the job for coaches these days, a very important part. Recent history tells us that failure to build and manage a quality squad restricts progress, MON was an old style manager, whose failure to manage the squad properly resulted in our season petering out every year at around about March. Just last season we saw that the injury to Jack cost us massively. I’m not saying we can have another Jack on the bench but with a stronger squad perhaps we could have given Jack the odd game off and kept him fit. Or at least been able to mitigate his absence more. 

It’s not 1981 when squads were smaller. We were the best team in the league then but also we got lucky with injuries. Even back then only using 13 players in a season was remarkable. It’s a squad game now. 

Liverpool when they won the league 2 seasons ago the player 11th for most minutes played 2000 mins. Last season for Villa 11th most minutes was El Ghazi on 1600 mins and we didn't have European games and hardly any cup games. Liverpool won the league with less rotation than us last season

Edited by Kiwivillan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Traore is rubbish. Which is why we’ve signed someone that will take his place already. 

The comment about Doku was tongue in cheek. But did you see the bit where he runs fast? Yeh, that’s something Traore can’t do either. 

I've been pretty vocal on him being the wrong signing from day one, but I think he's done better than I expected. Not really rubbish as he's had some good matches and important goals. I'd say he's been pretty average, but I guess average is what you get for £ 17 million these days. Even though I still find it absurd we paid £ 17 million for him. Lyon took us to the cleaners. 

He is still not what we need for the right wing, so hopefully he'll be a rotation option from now on. 

I'm still waiting for that classical RW option with good work rate, than can beat a man and turn on the pace before wipping in a cross. I don't think that's Buendia either. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Even though I still find it absurd we paid £ 17 million for him. Lyon took us to the cleaners

That's just ridiculous especially when the likes of Joelinton and Haller were signed for 40m each

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's just ridiculous especially when the likes of Joelinton and Haller were signed for 40m each

It's not. You are just picking extremes. You can find bad people, even if they aren't quite as bad as Hitler and Stalin. 

Or if it makes it easier I can find 2-3 of the biggest bargains that season and point out how cheap they were relative to Traore? 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's not. You are just picking extremes. You can find bad people, even if they aren't quite as bad as Hitler and Stalin. 

Or if it makes it easier I can find 2-3 of the biggest bargains that season and point out how cheap they were relative to Traore? 

Traore literally won us games with his goals and assists but you're mentioning Hitler. Vine Ok GIF

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Traore literally won us games with his goals and assists but you're mentioning Hitler. Vine Ok GIF

If that's your take from that, Kiwi, then you missed the point on this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

If that's your take from that, Kiwi, then you missed the point on this one.

I get the point. Traore was a bargain for me that had 13 goal involvement in 2300 minutes. I'd say that's relatively high in the PL last season

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I get the point. Traore was a bargain for me that had 13 goal involvement in 2300 minutes. I'd say that's relatively high in the PL last season

Probably lost the ball 2300 times too. We’ll be a much better/solid team when he’s not in it. Which to be honest, won’t be a lot this season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's not. You are just picking extremes. You can find bad people, even if they aren't quite as bad as Hitler and Stalin. 

Or if it makes it easier I can find 2-3 of the biggest bargains that season and point out how cheap they were relative to Traore? 

When you use the phrase "took us to the cleaners" you are inviting the comparison with transfers where clubs actually got taken to the cleaners like Haller and Joelinton.

 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Probably lost the ball 2300 times too. We’ll be a much better/solid team when he’s not in it. Which to be honest, won’t be a lot this season. 

Only in your imagination

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Probably lost the ball 2300 times too. We’ll be a much better/solid team when he’s not in it. Which to be honest, won’t be a lot this season. 

If the player you are talking about here was Barkley, then it would be a decent assessment.

Traore, though? I'm inclined to disagree

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I get the point. Traore was a bargain for me that had 13 goal involvement in 2300 minutes. I'd say that's relatively high in the PL last season

You quite literally didn’t.  Still observable.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Liverpool when they won the league 2 seasons ago the player 11th for most minutes played 2000 mins. Last season for Villa 11th most minutes was El Ghazi on 1600 mins and we didn't have European games and hardly any cup games. Liverpool won the league with less rotation than us last season

Yeah ok we’ll stick with a squad of 11. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Liverpool when they won the league 2 seasons ago the player 11th for most minutes played 2000 mins. Last season for Villa 11th most minutes was El Ghazi on 1600 mins and we didn't have European games and hardly any cup games. Liverpool won the league with less rotation than us last season

Yeah ok we’ll stick with a squad of 11. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Probably lost the ball 2300 times too. We’ll be a much better/solid team when he’s not in it. Which to be honest, won’t be a lot this season. 

People are piling on here but while exaggerated, Delphino was right. He was dispossessed a lot...

From players playing on the right, Traore was dispossessed the 7th most in the league last season, 24 times.

He was 2nd for unsuccessful touches with 64.

That said, Salah was the worst in the league on both counts. So doesn't tell the whole story.

Traore also joint top with Raphina for unsuccessful dribbles on 43 (Salah one behind on 42, Mahrez 4th on 30).

So, a lot of good players lose the ball a lot, but considering the amount of play we put through the left instead of the right, Traore can be wasteful. His defensive and pressing game can be poor too. Great at times, there was a goal he created towards end of season specifically by pressing high and fast - but as with everything he does, is inconsistent. 

I'm glad he plays for Villa but also glad he'll be a maverick impact sub this season.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â