Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I disagree that Buendia is a "punt". Strengthening the midfield is more of a priority than strengthening our strikers, to which we already have 3 when we only play with 1.  So spending a huge amount of our transfer budget on a striker seems illogical to me. 

He’s a £33m punt vs Tammy for £40m.

11 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

We aren't spending £40m on a back up striker. Buendia was needed, we lacked creativity.

I agree we aren’t spending 40m on a back up striker.  Tammy is an alternative and Tammy and Ollie will fight for the shirt.  Why some Villa fans only think of 11 players is bizarre in a squad game at the top level.  We don’t buy back up we buy an alternative.

We have to start thinking like a top 6 or 8 team if we are going to realise that position.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

Buendia has been signed to play on the right, that's where he played most of his games last season. We've been bidding for Smith Rowe to play where Barkley was playing last season as that's where Smith Rowe mostly plays. What will be interesting to see is who we go for if as is likely to be the case we're unsuccesful in our pursuit of Smith Rowe, because we obviously aren't trying to sign him for the sake of it, we want an attacking midfield whether it be him or someone else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If you say so. 
Either way, I don't think we're going to be spending £40m on a striker this window for good reason. 

Not a very good reason then 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Watkins will start every game up front if fit and not suspended like last season. We're not signing Tammy to provide competition and he wouldn't want to come "to fight for the shirt"

Agree to disagree.

Just now, nick76 said:

Not a very good reason then 🤷🏻‍♂️

Priorities sir. As I said, loan with view to buy would be the best scenario, giving us this window to bolster our midfield which is by far the weakest point in our team (imo). 

I wouldn't be disappointed if we bought Tammy, far from it, just don't think now is the time to do it when our limited funding is needed more elsewhere. Though, you may disagree with that, which is fine. 

Just now, PieFacE said:

Priorities sir. As I said, loan with view to buy would be the best scenario, giving us this window to bolster our midfield which is by far the weakest point in our team (imo). 

I wouldn't be disappointed if we bought Tammy, far from it, just don't think now is the time to do it when our limited funding is needed more elsewhere. Though, you may disagree with that, which is fine. 

I would like the first paragraph

Second paragraph, I do think it’s a priority!

Why don’t we just play 4-4-2 with Tammy and Ollie up front. Jack and Beundia wide. SJM and Luiz central. You can still play overlapping wingbacks and inverted wingers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

Why don’t we just play 4-4-2 with Tammy and Ollie up front. Jack and Beundia wide. SJM and Luiz central. You can still play overlapping wingbacks and inverted wingers.

Because it's not 1996 anymore :P 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rayk said:

Why don't you understand why Smith doesn't and won't play 442?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

You think he'd be starting over Antonio?

100%, Antonio would probably go back to being a wide forward also he has hardly been prolific over his career.

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Watkins will start every game up front if fit and not suspended, like last season. We're not signing Tammy for 40m to provide competition and he wouldn't want to come "to fight for the shirt".

100% correct