Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

43 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, if we're just buying players because we need squad depth and options there's probably loads of players that fit that description and would cost a lot less than Tammy.

obviously there are ideas of where they want to play but we can all think of combinations, tactics and that and it will also depend on what other players we get in. 

When I think of Tammy and how he can set up with Buendia and Grealish, it's mouthwatering.  Also how he can work with Ollie is also mouth watering. Also Tammy and Ollie pushing each other for goals will be great and if we are unfortunate that one gets injured then we have the other.  If we dont have another option we could do a wolves and our season is over before it starts.

What I mean re my comment is people so fixated about whose going to be the starting XI and anything outside of that is not considered is bizarre now that we are trying to step up to the next level.  We are starting to add depth to the squad that on the RW we have choice of Buendia or Traore, two quality options but then maybe Buendia can go centrally and Traore on the right.  It's good to have these options, quality options to choose and that's what I mean.

I think having Tammy and Ollie, is really good to have those as options to include in our attacking and even better if Wes gets up to speed.  It's one thing we struggled with last season both in terms of running out of energy second half of the season, injury to Jack left us limited with options and then just in games when things arent going our way we looked to the bench and had no quality to replace and nobody to push the players currently holding the shirt.  Tammy and Ollie can fight for the shirt, it will be great.  We may even try 44-2 occasionally, who knows?  it would be unlike Smith but if we are losing in games we can throw on an extra striker......

My point is getting these players in with ideas of how they can mix but I'm not focused exactly on a fixed position and who gets it. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

My point is this Alvarez kid for example is a far better fit than Tammy. A player just as comfortable upfront As on the wing.  And he comes in at 25mill cheaper and quite probably a higher talent ceiling.

We don't need Tammy, he clearly isn't as good as Ollie, so he isn't competition, he would just be a decent back up goalscorer. Wesley would actually contribute more to the team, even though he won't get as many goals. Tammy simply doesn't add much.

Just have to agree to disagree on Tammy.

I have no opinion on Alvarez.  Could be a sensation but could be a kid that cant handle the PL and take years to adapt if at all and sold for a small fee to some Spanish club in a couple of years time.  I think we know what we get with Tammy, you obviously dont think much, I think a lot.  Let's just agree to disagree.

57 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don’t see Tammy happening personally, it’s a lot of cash he won’t fancy moving to be a none automatic first 11 choice IMO.

A move to a team like West Ham makes more sense or even Spurs if they sell Kane.

but west ham he wouldnt be first choice either.  I think he'd love to come back to us and believe he can fight Ollie for the striker position and that's great for competition after having Davis last season as back up.  Quality alternatives fighting for top spot rather than main striker and then some third rate striker

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

You can say a lot of things with confidence but it's still just an opinion.

Without having Tammy up front for us in the Prem for the same amount of games as Ollie, it is impossible to say who is better or who would get more goals.

He's only 23 and has proved he can score goals at the highest level for Chelsea. He was Chelsea's top scorer last season and only dropped when Tuchel came in an preferred Werner who doesn't score many goals.

People seem obsessed with the notion he and Ollie can't play together and that Dean can't change up the system if he had the quality of players to allow him to. Watkins definitely didn't play the lone striker role before us.

I still back Ollie to be our main striker with or without Tammy's signing.

My main doubt is a 40 mil striker doesn't feel like the priority at the moment.

I agree with all apart from the last line, I know this has been debated a lot about an additional striker over the last few months of the season and people are one side or the other but I think we need another striker.  It's our weakest position now with only Ollie as a recognised striker, not knowing how Wes will come back and Davis out of favour.  If something happened to Ollie like a Ben Mee special then we are in big doo doo like Wolves last season.  We cant afford to have a bad season next season, we need to progress, no more so than to keep Jack the following season.  Spending all that money on Buendia, upgrading Jack's contract and we seem to be after another CAM re the links with ESR.  Then our main striker gets injured and we are struggling.  We competition, we need alternatives and we need it.  I always feel you need a quality GK and a quality striker, to have a chance of a good season, lose one and your season will likely to be poor.  Look how much difference Martinez made to us.  Look how much a good striker makes to so many teams.  We cant afford to lose Ollie without no quality alternative.  I know those agree will be nodding their heads now and those that have been disagreeing with be shaking their heads with their excuses.  I dont want a debate but I think getting in a quality striker to push and alternate with Ollie is a priority for me more than any other position because other positions can be covered.  As I said this is my view and I know we have debated over and over so no point debating again.  plus I'd love Tammy back, I think he would be awesome back here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rayk said:

Nick76, genuinely no issue at all, I completely agree with you about Tammy. You’ll have seen that from my posts.

How would you play both Tammy and Ollie.

How about this formation? (Not suggesting it every game but it's a way of getting them both in).

Watkins      Abraham

Grealish

Sanson     McGinn

Douglas Luiz

Targett    Mings    Konsa    Cash

Martinez

The 4-4-2 'diamond' formation hasn't been fashionable in recent years but it would allow both to be used together with Buendia from the bench if a formation change needed.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rayk said:

Nick76, genuinely no issue at all, I completely agree with you about Tammy. You’ll have seen that from my posts.

How would you play both Tammy and Ollie.

Depends on the game to be honest.  

They could be just be fighting for one shirt.  

You could play Ollie just a bit deeper off Tammy.  

You could play them as a front two, tell Tammy to stay centrally which is his natural position and then tell Ollie to float around him as he sees fit because Ollie never stops.  

I heard somebody say Ollie left forward, Tammy centrally and Jack as CAM and Buendia RW. I’m not sure how I feel about Ollie out left but I’m open to it if Ollie plays more in a Mane position than a Grealish position as left forward.

It gives us options depending on opposition, form, tactics and injuries.  

4 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

How about this formation? (Not suggesting it every game but it's a way of getting them both in).

Watkins      Abraham

Grealish

Sanson     McGinn

Douglas Luiz

Targett    Mings    Konsa    Cash

Martinez

The 4-4-2 'diamond' formation hasn't been fashionable in recent years but it would allow both to be used together with Buendia from the bench if a formation change needed.

BUENDIAAAAAAAA, definitely no plans for him being a super sub, he's a 100%  starter for me buddy.

I don't think we will sign Abraham, but if we were to do so we don't have to squeeze both him and Watkins in the starting line up, we're allowed good players on the bench, and to rotate players, in fact if we do sign another forward whoever it may be that will the whole point of signing them in the first place.

• Like 3

If Jack stays I fully expect Buendia to push him all the way in every metric for attacking players. I think quite a few people haven’t realised what a coup singing him was. Putting an Alvarez or ESR between them as a 10 is just taking the p*ss - in a really good way. 

Starting to suspect ESR is actually first choice (if unlikely) and Alvarez is plan B. 

I’m expecting 4 more incoming, a 10, a DCM, a CB and a keeper. 

Edit: Tammy makes no sense at all to me, unless Wes was going and he was happy to be back up, which he won’t be. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

The fact Watkins got so few injuries and suspensions last season is a fluke that might not be repeated. Much as I hope Wes will be able to deputise if needed, I think he may need a loan to get his match sharpness back... depending on how the preseason goes. Davies needs a loan or a move away.

The thing that impressed me most about Tammy is even when we were playing poorly he could conjure a goal out of almost nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

I don’t see Tammy happening personally, it’s a lot of cash he won’t fancy moving to be a none automatic first 11 choice IMO.

A move to a team like West Ham makes more sense or even Spurs if they sell Kane.

Now we all know that ain't true

image.png.1eeb2f368a238fc214980c9a92817082.png