Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Honestly don't see Wes, Davis or Traore as competent backup going in to next season.

If the stars align then Wes might get up to speed towards then new year, but that's a big if considering the injury, the time he's been out and frankly his ability to begin with.

Davis isn't a PL quality attacker currently and I'd be surprised if he isn't sent out on loan. Traoré has played the odd games as forward in his career but the bulk of those games came back in 14/15 in the Dutch division with Vitesse. He is a RW and would not be able to do any of the things we depend on Watkins to do when he plays.

Think we risk being hamstrung if we fail to bring in another attacker next season but I get if the money has to be spent in other areas.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, weedman said:

I think it depends on Wes, if he's OK then we should be OK with Davis and Traore as extra backups but if he's not going to get back properly then we'll need a first choice backup. The only people that would really know are the coaching staff so I'm confident that they'll do the right thing either way though 

Barry and Young towards the end of the season too hopefully 

We have the same in a few positions, the youngster isn't quite ready, we have 1st choice settled already, we need support and cover but we don't need a £50m world beater 

I think we'll get everybody back in to training and have a proper look at them all, fitness, development and then make some decisions 

I really wouldn't be surprised if we explored the loan market or got some other older guys that we only need for 1 or 2 years and then can replace from the academy 

That market will take time to open up 

The big money should be spent on a central midfielder, that's the key position for us now 

• Like 1

If we are getting a centre half in we could do a lot worse than Jean-Clair Todibo from Barca.

Looks like he's going Nice for under £10m.

They're ones to keep an eye on. Got some backing and been picking up some very good players the last few years.

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned him but think Lucas Paqueta at Lyon would suit us as Barkleys replacement, he only signed for Lyon last season but weirdly nothing of any links or even transfer speculation for him.  It all seems to be about his teammate Aouar. 

I think Dougie is close to Paqueta judging by some insta pics whilst on Brazil duty 

7 minutes ago, burchy said:

would suit us as Barkleys replacement, he only signed for Lyon last season

Buendia looks like Barkley replacement and your guy probably on 4-5 year contract so doubt we're after 

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not beyond the realms of possibility that like other clubs, we too, will be watching the euros and Copa America etc to see if anything catches our eye.

Think those days are over.  Too much scouting and analytics these days. Euros just give the selling club an opportunity to increase the price a little if the player shines at the tournament.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Think those days are over.  Too much scouting and analytics these days. Euros just give the selling club an opportunity to increase the price a little if the player shines at the tournament.

wouldn't that also work the opposite direction if an otherwise good player has a poor run in the international tournaments?

Aston Villa are set to hold talks with the agent of Argentina international Julian Alvarez this week as the £15 million-rated River Plate winger eyes a move to European football, as reported by Calciomercato.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/06/21/report-aston-villa-will-hold-talks-to-sign-15m-copa-america-ace-higuain-loves-him/

obligatory YouTube vid …

Edited by thabucks

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Is it now easier to pick up non EU talent cos Brexit or something?

I believe so yes. Others smarter than me have done really helpful threads - I think there’s one in the other football section 

• Like 1