Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

52 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

The most shocking thing about that graphic is actually that Adam Lyth was unbeaten at the end of the days play whilst staying ahead of the required rate. 

Miracles people, miracles. 

Text :84408 is quite something too😜

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Some of our worst ever business in the last decade or so. It wasn’t Helenius’s fault with his personal issues. Tonev aside from being a racist was also utter tosh. 

The scouts had a grudge.

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Some of our worst ever business in the last decade or so. It wasn’t Helenius’s fault with his personal issues. Tonev aside from being a racist was also utter tosh. 

Yeah shame about Okore too, I think he had a bright future but that injury really knackered him. He’s still only 28 and is playing in the Chinese super league.

Edited by alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Wild! Tonev was one of the worst players I can remember, while Okore arrived as one of the most hyped prospects around and was really promising before his knee got wrecked. Bacuna looked solid enough for a while and scored those unforgettable free kicks, then he became jack of no trades and his attitude seemed like it fell off a cliff (though tbf whose didn't in those days?). Never really saw Helenius after the pantsing due to his mystery illness and can't really remember Tony Moon even playing again after his debut.

1 hour ago, the_eristic said:

Wild! Tonev was one of the worst players I can remember, while Okore arrived as one of the most hyped prospects around and was really promising before his knee got wrecked. Bacuna looked solid enough for a while and scored those unforgettable free kicks, then he became jack of no trades and his attitude seemed like it fell off a cliff (though tbf whose didn't in those days?). Never really saw Helenius after the pantsing due to his mystery illness and can't really remember Tony Moon even playing again after his debut.

Do you think his mystery illness was actually that his dick had been ripped off during the pantsing?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Tonev was an utter disaster! Unbelievably, recommended by Stan too!

Edited by Jas10

10 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Yeah sorry about that.

😆 Meant Petrov mate 

On 7 June 2013, Tonev signed for Aston Villaas their first signing of the pre-season. He was recommended by former international teammate Stiliyan Petrov, a development coach at the club.[4] He made his debut on 13 August, replacing Karim El Ahmadi for the final eight minutes of a 2–1 defeat away to Chelsea,[5] making 17 Premier Leagueappearances in total throughout the season.

Edited by Jas10
  • Haha 1

Okore, Bacuna & even Luna (that Arsenal goal) contributed something at least…

Helenius had personal/health issues…

I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing when Lambert started signing players, aghast at the sight of Bowery, Bennett and co.

Richardson, Senderos… my god.

Carlos Sanchez was abysmal too…

I know Lerner had practically given up n tightened the pursestrings but still…

What a pile of shit…

Thankfully we’re a long way away from those days how, we suffered enough dross on both the playing & management side, oh and also ownership too 😅

Dear oh dear…

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Well there's 5 worse than engels in one window 

Don’t think Engels was such a bad signing, didn’t/hasn’t work(ed) out in the end but he seemed fairly competent at first…

We have a wide selection of terrible and embarrassing signings to review 🤣

We’ve wasted so much money over the years…

McCormack 🤦‍♂️ 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Okore was a good signing despite his injury. He was a good centre back for 2 seasons. 

Yeah, that was one I was actually excited about… guess it was a case of wrong place, wrong time for him. A shame.

• Like 1

My main memory of okore was a "fan" in the upper holte getting a slap for booing him off and shouting get on with it you poof there's nothing wrong with you as he hobbled off having done his ligaments 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Okore, Bacuna & even Luna (that Arsenal goal) contributed something at least…

Helenius had personal/health issues…

I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing when Lambert started signing players, aghast at the sight of Bowery, Bennett and co.

Richardson, Senderos… my god.

Carlos Sanchez was abysmal too…

I know Lerner had practically given up n tightened the pursestrings but still…

What a pile of shit…

Thankfully we’re a long way away from those days how, we suffered enough dross on both the playing & management side, oh and also ownership too 😅

Dear oh dear…

I feel like there's a world of difference between our scouting right now and our scouting with these guys and I'm not just saying that because of the obviously different outcomes. Like, I could make a decent case for a lot of our signings just based on their easily available online stats. I don't think I could say the same for a lot of the guys we bought during that era. The obvious the exception imo was the French contingent we got during our relegation season.(who did eventually turn out well)

I have a gut feeling there wasn't much due diligence done with a lot of our signings and its not just a case of our scouts putting in the effort and getting it wrong. I can believe Petrov or at least one person in our scouting system thinking the likes of Tonev or Bowery were good. but I refuse to believe everyone in our scouting system did, or at least properly evaluated them and thought they could do a good job. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Tonev purely based on Petrov's recommendation and nothing else. I've read some stories of players getting signed by clubs purely on other people's recommendations without anyone from their side ever actually seeing them play. Wonder how many times something like this happens at the high level.

All the Okore talk made me have to do a Google.

Almost forgot he existed, never realised he now plays in China for Changchun Yatai.

Was extremely highly rated around the time we signed him, and did a number on Chelsea in the CL didn't he?

• Like 1