Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens blazing a transfer trail at Aston Villa after £300 million spend - Ashley Preece - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Does make sense to strike while iron is hot. Spurs and Arsenal needed Government Loans to keep afloat last season. We can outspend them and now we know FFP is scrapped we have a realistic chance of getting to the top 4. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I'm absolutely howling with laughter reading r/soccer and r/gunners right now.  Can you imagine pulling this signing off and singing this song at the Emirates next season?  

"Grealish on the left,

Buendia on the riiiiiiiiiiiight,

and ESR middle,

makes you Gooner lot cry!!!!!"

So much salt on Reddit. Lovely.

37 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens blazing a transfer trail at Aston Villa after £300 million spend - Ashley Preece - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Does make sense to strike while iron is hot. Spurs and Arsenal needed Government Loans to keep afloat last season. We can outspend them and now we know FFP is scrapped we have a realistic chance of getting to the top 4. 

I love this.  Proper ambition and sensing that we are already a bit ahead of the journey now we could take another major step. Going to be a more exciting summer than I was initially expecting I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

When did I say replace him. It's about getting competition for places in every position and increasing the quality of the first team and squad, whether that's from player improving or better players coming. Increased competition mean having to work harder to keep your place and thus pushing players to improve. If the competition is too tough then a better player will emerge. 

I'm sorry if you don't understand this concept, I'm also sorry if you misconstrue what I'm saying and i apologise if you feel I'm am targeting you even if you aren't the only person to endorse a move for Bertrand or Young. 

Long live Dean Smith!

The idea of only buying players that strengthen your first 11 is a good one, but only works in certain circumstances. In my opinion Targett is one of the best left backs in the league, and he's not some journeyman in his mid 30s we need to replace, he's signed up for the long term.

We don't need to replace him, we don't even really need proper competition for him until we're playing 50 games a year in Europe, what we need is someone decent enough to play 5-10 games next season and give him a rest from time to time. If we had a backup left back already we wouldn't be signing anyone, because Targett is our man there. 

We could go out and spend all of our remaining budget on a young, highly regarded left back that will be expecting first team football and give him and Targett 20 games each next season, or get a short term backup signed cheaply, for the actual reason we need, allowing us to spend our money where we have more pressing priorities.

Next season, when our more pressing positions have been filled, maybe we can revisit our need for a left back

All the talk of "all the big teams have multiple players for each position" is all well and good but they're playing 50/60 games a year, a bit part player there could easily play 30 matches, we can't offer players that yet 

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Jeez, I don't know which way to look.

Stats are honestly fantastic. 2.7 dribbles, 40 passes 84% accuracy. 2.2 Tackles 1.6 interceptions. He'd be a great signing if we could get him For cheap. 

• Like 1

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Stats are honestly fantastic. 2.7 dribbles, 40 passes 84% accuracy. 2.2 Tackles 1.6 interceptions. He'd be a great signing if we could get him For cheap. 

Yes,.he's been mentioned on here before along with Bissouma. 

17 hours ago, skarroki said:

I don't understand why someone being good competition for places has to be under 24 though? And why worry about resale value on players who we'll bring in for free and have no intention of selling? 

We're being run by intelligent football people now this isn't a sell to buy, young and hungry club anymore. Equally we're not top 4, we can't sign 2 people of equal quality for each position for where we are as a side, even Liverpool don't have that as their injury crisis in defence showed. Who comes in if Robertson or TAA are injured? There's 2, maybe 3 sides in the league, possibly Europe that can boast 22 players that are good enough to play every game. 

I know the points you're making I just don't get the logic

Like said 3 times already speed and energy. A left back better suited to overlapping on a regular basis, to put it bluntly. A large part of the reason Targett had a good season is the more measured attacking intent. He basically was played like a traditional fullback that defends first and rarely gets beyond the winger to the byline. 

Young at 35 won't  be able to do this. And he isn't going to be as good as Targett let alone better. So how is that competition?

They're not good enough to be competition for Targett, they're in decline, and will want higher wages as they are on a free. They probably also want hefty signing on fees.

It's not logical.

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 1