Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

16 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Young won't be starting matches and he'll want stoooopid money. We won't pay those wages for a sub when FFP is a consideration.

Silly season!

I don't think he'll be wanting stupid money if he is in negotiations with Burnley and Watford!!

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Giroud and Cavani are 34, Fenandinho is 36. Some players just have the capacity to play at the highest level longer than others. Similarly, some are shot by their late 20's.

As cover on either side of the pitch, I think it makes sense whilst the youngsters can get a season on-loan under their belts.

And all three are players whose games have never relied on pace. They are all players that no longer offer the same workrate. There is a certain type of player that can play until their mid to late 30s. Players whom have excellent technique, and intelligence, that can play their position in a way that doesn't require running 10kms per game, or long sprints. Ronaldo keeps his bursts of speed to 10 to 20 yards in and around the 18 yard box. He plays as hybrid target man / trequartista / fox in the box. 

Fullback is a position that requires high fitness levels and at least reasonable speed (which Targett struggles with). We don't need right back cover. Left back cover is little to no use. Cover at left back when Targett played every prem game, and both Hause and Mings can play there. Competition and a Viable alternative with pace and energy is what is needed. 

33 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Nail on the head here. We clearly don't have an unlimited budget, and the money required to sign a player better than last seasons player of the year would mean not being able to strengthen other areas adequately. Not every signing has to be direct and long term competition, Young would plug a gap, allow us to sign players in areas with a greater need of improvement, and allow Targett and the youth team left backs another 12 months development time with a dependable back up if required. Then in 12 months time if left back is a priority, we can always go out and sign a replacement for Targett. I doub't we'd have to do that though, for me Targett has been on an upward trajectory ever since joining the club, even in his ropey first season (which was in a struggling side). I think next year he will improve even further.

A little more eloquent than my post but yes, this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Ashley Young is 35, no way we should sign him. A premier league team looking to get into Europe should never be looking at a 35 year old. 

How old is Cavani, just out of interest?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, macandally said:

How old is Cavani, just out of interest?

Let also be clear on something, guys like Cavani, Ronaldo, Ibrahomovic, and Fernandinho as well as being world class and consummate professionals are exceptions to the rule. Over 90% of top division footballers aren't good enough once they hit 33 / 34.

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Let also be clear on something, guys like Cavani, Ronaldo, Ibrahomovic, and Fernandinho as well as being world class and consummate professionals are exceptions to the rule. Over 90% of top division footballers aren't good enough once they hit 33 / 34.

I do not disagree.  However I would hope that our scouting team do their diligence before signing players and therefore, they will have watched Youngs performances last year, in a league that has a total different pace of game to the Premier League and come to an informed decision.

Not just discounted him on age.

• Like 3

If we want to go on a decent cup run then a player like Young could be useful as well. Yes you could say we should be blooding the youngsters in the cups but you don't really win them like that, plus there will naturally be opportunity for them anyway and you want some experienced heads in there to help them out.  

https://theathletic.com/2654984/2021/06/16/exclusive-arsenal-reject-25m-offer-from-aston-villa-for-emile-smith-rowe/

It's not by gregg evans before anyone shoots it down...

Aston Villa have made their latest move to bolster Dean Smith’s squad ahead of the new Premier League season by submitting a bid to Arsenal for England Under-21 midfielder Emile Smith Rowe.

Villa’s offer for the 20-year-old — believed to be worth in the region of £25 million — has been rejected by the North London side, who are in the process of trying to renew his contract and have no intention of selling.

A product of Arsenal’s Hale End academy, Smith Rowe broke into their first team last December and established himself as an influential presence in one of the creative attacking midfield roles.

Negotiations to extend a deal which expires in June 2023 opened in April and although that gives them the benefit of time, the club will be keen to secure his long-term future as swiftly as possible.

Smith Rowe joined Arsenal at the age of 10 and rose through the youth system before spells on loan at RB Leipzig and Huddersfield Town. He scored four goals in 33 appearances across all competitions for Mikel Arteta’s men in 2020-21 and his homegrown status is especially important.

Villa came 11th, three places and six points behind Arsenal, on their second campaign back in the English top flight and are intent on further strengthening the group of players at Smith’s disposal.

They have already completed the signing of Emiliano Buendia from Norwich City for around £33 million, rising to £38 million with add-ons, and the business into Villa Park is likely to continue.

Whether or not they manage to acquire Smith Rowe, the pursuit gives an indication of the 1982 European Cup winners’ wealth and ambition under co-owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, the_eristic said:

Sargent would certainly offer us extreme workrate and pressure from the front similar to Ollie, but I'm not convinced he's ever going to be enough of a goalscorer to be a top forward, unless he's in system like Liverpool or City where he's the hardworking foil for goalscorers around him. Young still but I haven't seen that killer instinct from him yet.

That's a fair assessment, and for what it's worth, I'm not sure anybody is quite sure about him yet. His workrate led to Florian Kohfeldt (Werder Bremen) saying he was too important to the team to drop, and while it's also clear that Gregg Berhalter (USA) rates him very highly in that respect, it kind of seems we're reaching the point that we can't wait on him to enter a purple patch instead of blooding other options (especially with Daryl Dike's recent run of form). I like his attributes and would love to see him come good, but I think he's got to get out of Bremen and then get Bremen out of his head before we really see what he can offer.

I'm just as curious about Matthew Hoppe (Schalke), who is a different sort of player but seems to have a knack for finding the right spaces and finishing his chances—that killer instinct you spoke of. I think both are decent options with Bundesliga experience who might benefit from an environment where they can mature and gain experience without the pressure of being their club's main goalscorer. Hoppe already exploded onto the scene with some huge goals earlier this year and I think Sargent could do the same given the right opportunity—but both suffer from playing for teams that are just awful. Sargent reportedly has a lot of interest from Top 4-chasing sides in the Bundesliga (Mönchengladbach, Frankfurt, Leverkusen, Stuttgart, that I can think of), but I could see us being a good place for him to develop. But if Dean Smith is looking for sure things, I just don't know.

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Wow, statement of intent.

Suggests that they see Jack on the left and that we are still looking for an ACM.

I am hoping that Pereira can still be acquired??  Maybe with Olise as back up!! Greedy, I know!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Maybe Jack is going and we're buying his replacements before everyone knows we need to. 🤔

I don’t think he is going BUT this is exactly what we should do. Either we have more talent with him or we have done our best to cover the gap. Hopefully the former!

£25m is a bit on the low side for a hot Arsenal prospect though, not sure how serious we are about him…