Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 hours ago, Big Salad said:

With Bremen being relegated I think we could slide in and get Josh Sargent for a decent price; can play on the wing and up front and continues to improve.

Sargent would certainly offer us extreme workrate and pressure from the front similar to Ollie, but I'm not convinced he's ever going to be enough of a goalscorer to be a top forward, unless he's in system like Liverpool or City where he's the hardworking foil for goalscorers around him. Young still but I haven't seen that killer instinct from him yet.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Villaphil said:

Ibrahimovic led Utd to a League Cup and Europa League trophy at the same age.  He provides cover in all manner of places and fills the dressing room with winning experience.

Given the current squad, I’d be starting him on the wing (ahead of AEG) with Jack in the middle.

Sorry but Ibra was a world class player. A guy who is well known for his professionalism. Ashley Young was a good winger who was converted into a solid left back. Sorry but no thanks, leave him to the to the bottom feeders.

16 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Could you imagine? The shirt wouldn't stay retired for long.

If there was one player, I could sign....its him.

Everyone keeps banging on about our Owners and the ambitions of the club then want us to sign Bertrand, Ashley Young and Ross Turnbull! I think we are too used to thinking small time! 

Villa are building for the future. How is signing past it players, and players that clearly lack the physical qualities to succeed in the Premier league.

The other thing that annoys me is the 'we have Targett so we only need cover.' Now i like Targett, but he is limited, and his limitations restrict our tactics. He has good technique, solid in the tackle, decent in air (for a fullback), and found real consistency. Lots to admire for sure. But no top team would sign him because he is too slow and doesn't have the natural fitness to tear up and down the touchline relentlessly for a full 90. Used as traditional fullback he has shown quality. Used as a modern fullback he has shown to be a liability. A good season doesn't make a top player. He needs competition, and Villa need a speedy, energetic alternative.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

VT have not only rejected him but they have a mind altering device that has eradicated any memory of him. Like the twiddly thing in Men In Black. I’m awaiting a knock on the door from a stranger with his sonic screwdriver at any minute. 

It could be Amazon or one of these two guys.....:D

John Barrowman teases Doctor Who future as Captain Jack Harkness image.jpeg.dccb12b640fd5dd9edf3bbab0119ada2.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah Bremen have got this winger too.  Absolute rocket of a shot, but his name escapes me.

"And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find..
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh, no, no, no...
I'm a rocket man....

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b607imuw8jgk6e0gvd75 

Rocket man!!....

...burning out his fuse up here alone...

Tuanzebe looks to be going out on loan for the whole season so that's one off the list. I do think we'll be signing a Centre Back this summer.

49 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Everyone keeps banging on about our Owners and the ambitions of the club then want us to sign Bertrand, Ashley Young and Ross Turnbull! I think we are too used to thinking small time! 

Villa are building for the future. How is signing past it players, and players that clearly lack the physical qualities to succeed in the Premier league.

The other thing that annoys me is the 'we have Targett so we only need cover.' Now i like Targett, but he is limited, and his limitations restrict our tactics. He has good technique, solid in the tackle, decent in air (for a fullback), and found real consistency. Lots to admire for sure. But no top team would sign him because he is too slow and doesn't have the natural fitness to tear up and down the touchline relentlessly for a full 90. Used as traditional fullback he has shown quality. Used as a modern fullback he has shown to be a liability. A good season doesn't make a top player. He needs competition, and Villa need a speedy, energetic alternative.

They’ve also shown they’re not ready to spunk £20m up the wall for a left back that may not be any better than the current incumbent. (What I like to call an ‘O’Neill’)

Maybe they’ve decided to give Targett another season, see if he continues on his development and then look again at that position next season or the one after that.  Instead directing investment to areas with a great need than back up LB ?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

This!  Signing players for the bench is how you stand still or go backward in the Premier League.  Last summer many of us were scratching our heads at the Matty Cash signing thinking "Why do we need another right back? We have Guilbert, Elmo, and Konsa can fill in there if needed!"  His performance this season showed just how much of an upgrade he was for us in that position.  Also last summer, a left back was seen as a priority signing by most of the fan base because of the mixed feelings about Targett and Taylor.  Fast forward a year and everyone only wants to sign someone to sit on the bench...  We need to keep signing players better than who we already have starting, if we have ambition.  It only becomes difficult when you have a genuinely world class player starting in your team, then you need to change your strategy around a bit.  The only players we will struggle to do that will are Jack and Martinez.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

They’ve also shown they’re not ready to spunk £20m up the wall for a left back that may not be any better than the current incumbent. (What I like to call an ‘O’Neill’)

Maybe they’ve decided to give Targett another season, see if he continues on his development and then look again at that position next season or the one after that.  Instead directing investment to areas with a great need than back up LB ?

Where have they shown this? I'm sure they're looking at talented young left backs. Targett certainly won't (nor should be) thrown to the wayside for a new LB. Targett will still go into preseason as the first choice regardless of who we sign, and it will be up to the new signing to show he deserves to start ahead of Targett. 

It's about competition, and keeping players on their toes, while looking to progress the club. Stop gaps don't serve any real purpose unless you have a young player in that position you are EXTREMELY confident about, or a quality player that is out injured for 4 months of the season or more. Otherwise they're simply acts of desperation, because of a lack of a better option.

Villa have a f ton of options right now.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

I think Smith as manager who has stated he either wants British or familiarity with the Prem which shortens the list and tempers ambitions in terms of suggesting wild exotic names players. Buendia has shown we are a force to be reckoned with. I’m not criticising nor saying Smith is not ambitious but he has a type of player he wants at the moment which some may feel are small fry and show a lack of ambition. 

Edited by thabucks

17 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

With an unlimited budget then sure. But it doesn't work that way in reality. 

With limited funding, not every player you sign can go straight into your first team. Sometimes you need to sign players simply to fill a gap at times which allows you to prioritise other positions. 

As a master builder I can tell you that if a builder does a stop gap job, half the time it won't last for as long as you want it to, if by chance it does then it will probably be neglected till it becomes a major.problem again and need more work to correct t than in the first place. Stop gaps cost you more in the longer term.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

I think Smith as manager who has stated he either wants British or familiarity with the Prem which shortens the list and tempers ambitions in terms of suggesting wild exotic names players. Buendia has shown we are a force to be reckoned with. I’m not criticising nor saying Smith is not ambitious but he has a type of player he wants at the moment which some may feel are small fry  

My post wasn't directed at Smith or the club. I don’t believe any of the players I mentioned are genuinely being looked at. Over 30s are simply not part of our strategy, unless the cost and quality are high, like Heaton. The Heaton deal backfired, and actually became an example of the dangers of signing aging players. At 31 plus player 2 games a week will lead to injury and there is alway a heightened risk of injury. Bertrand for example has a history of knee and hamstring injuries. 

5 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Ashley Young is 35, no way we should sign him. A premier league team looking to get into Europe should never be looking at a 35 year old. 

Giroud and Cavani are 34, Fenandinho is 36. Some players just have the capacity to play at the highest level longer than others. Similarly, some are shot by their late 20's.

As cover on either side of the pitch, I think it makes sense whilst the youngsters can get a season on-loan under their belts.

• Like 2

On 14/06/2021 at 16:41, Mazrim said:

Again, you're missing my point. I know, and appreciate what a defensive midfielder does. I'm saying Phillips, although tenacious and busy, was not particularly effective in that role. His tackling was clumsy and he often gave free kicks away. Luckily, and strangely, he was up the pitch when he did it. His assist was class though.

I thought you both were in agreement:

• TRO was saying we need a "6" and Phillips exhibited the kind of characteristics in the Croatia game that we need.
  • Your response was that England do need a "6" - but one of Rice or Phillips - and then a more progressive player (an "8") alongside, rather than two "6"s with one asked to push further forward and do a job that he is not necessarily comfortable doing.

I couldn't agree more.

-------------------- Phillips/Rice (6) -------------------

------------ Mount/Bellingham (8) -----------------

---------------------------- Mount/Jack (10) ---------

That would be a much more balanced midfield imho.

I comparable terms, Villa could look like (after the window):

-------------- Bissoma or Sarr (6) ------------------- possibly with Nakamba as cover (or Luiz could drop back in)

-------------- Luiz/JWP (8) -----------------------------

--------------------------------- SJM/Sanson (10) ---

• Confused 1