Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

14 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

the athletic's Norwich correspondent's article mentioned that he was signed by us to play as a #10 (don't know how reliable that should be taken but he seems to be more plugged in at that club than gregg evans is with us so I am paying attention to it). Will be interested to see when official quotes from Dean / CS come out. 

I agree that we needed another winger but I would find it curious that we signed Traore last summer and already splashed the money to replace him in the XI. Who knows at this point though

So how would a Norwich correspondent know how Villa want to play Buendia? They're just speculating, like I am to be fair. Traore is a good player, but for me it's clear he isn't top quality. If we have ambition to be in Europe, if we want to play entertaining attacking football, a better than Traore is needed. 

It's probably worth pointing out that more often than not 'No.10' style players play out wide, for some reason it's our fans that seem to have an obssession with playing a no.10 in central midfield. Grealish pretty much operates as No.10 for us from the left hand side, and Buendia did the same for Norwich from the right hand side.

38 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

wonder if we are looking at CB depth that he would be worth a look

Wouldn't be against it. He was a bit error prone last season but he was playing in a shit team that was constantly under pressure. He's come on leaps and bounds since leaving City. Wouldn't hurt to have him as 4th choice for 10m.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I hope its a no for Josh King. Would be kind of against our young buy policy. He is on a free but surely we could do better?

For free, and if it avoids having to spend millions on an alternative reliable backup, I can see it making sense. Only if they have major doubts about Wesley though.  Short term 1-2 year contract if they're waiting to see how Wesley progresses may make sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

With Jack and Buendia maybe we'll play them more as wide attacking midfielders rather than wingers?  Potential that we may lose some width that way - but I see both of them as cutting in to try and create chances rather than trying to beat their man on the outside and trying to whip in a cross for the centre forward.

I can see Traore being the one down the middle. He has played as a central striker previously and could make the runs in behind.

Both Jack and Emi will start wide and drift in so makes sense to me to keep them apart and they can learn to stay out of each others way.

We bought Emi off the back of excellent seasons on the right wing, don't fix what isn't broke.

• Like 2

It's not like 29 is geriatric. Don't think we're against signing 1 or 2 experienced players. Also Chris Wood is an excellent player and can provide us something different. It's not like we have 2 mini Watkins waiting on the bench. It's literally just Davis and Wesley who are both inferior versions of Wood.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

For free, and if it avoids having to spend millions on an alternative reliable backup, I can see it making sense. Only if they have major doubts about Wesley though.  Short term 1-2 year contract if they're waiting to see how Wesley progresses may make sense.

But he's not a reliable back up

Because he's shit 

• Like 1

We won't be signing either of Wood or King, I doubt those two would be keen on joining us given their ages both would want first team football, never mind whether we'd want to sign them or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

With Jack and Buendia maybe we'll play them more as wide attacking midfielders rather than wingers?  Potential that we may lose some width that way - but I see both of them as cutting in to try and create chances rather than trying to beat their man on the outside and trying to whip in a cross for the centre forward.

Yup. That's modern wing play. Wingers move inside, fullbacks overlap and provide the width.

1 hour ago, allani said:

We play attacking mids not orthodox wingers 

King has had a constant trickle of minor injuries during the last 2 seasons. Nothing major but still a red flag for me for a guy his age. Once the injuries start coming... I imagine it's not been many weeks where he's been able to train or perform at a 100% in the last 2 years.

20/21 Back Injury Nov 11, 2020 Dec 13, 2020 32 days 7AFC Bournemouth
20/21 Thigh Problems Oct 20, 2020 Oct 23, 2020 3 days 1AFC Bournemouth
20/21 Thigh Problems Oct 1, 2020 Oct 12, 2020 11 days 1AFC Bournemouth
20/21 Thigh Problems Sep 10, 2020 Sep 25, 2020 15 days 4AFC Bournemouth
19/20 Hamstring Injury Jul 10, 2020 Jul 14, 2020 4 days 1AFC Bournemouth
19/20 Ankle Injury Jun 21, 2020 Jun 30, 2020 9 days 1AFC Bournemouth
19/20 Hamstring Injury Mar 1, 2020 May 31, 2020 91 days 1AFC Bournemouth
19/20 Muscle fiber tear Dec 28, 2019 Feb 8, 2020 42 days 8AFC Bournemouth
19/20 Ankle Injury Dec 15, 2019 Dec 20, 2019 5 days -
19/20 Hamstring Injury Nov 20, 2019 Dec 13, 2019 23 days 4AFC Bournemouth

He only got the odd minutes for Everton and half the time he wasn't even in the match day squad and I'd wager if he was forced to play more often and more minutes he'd soon get injured. Hope there is nothing in this link.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MachoFantastico said:

The King rumours as got to be media BS, at least I seriously hope so. Appreciate that we don't know how well Wesley will cope since is injury but we could do so much better as a backup. 

Peak lazy sports journalism

Wasn't aware he'd been injured/shit most of last season.  Retract my comments about him making sense on a free. Media rubbish (edit: he being King)

Edited by MrBlack

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

So how would a Norwich correspondent know how Villa want to play Buendia? They're just speculating, like I am to be fair. Traore is a good player, but for me it's clear he isn't top quality. If we have ambition to be in Europe, if we want to play entertaining attacking football, a better than Traore is needed. 

Wait What Reaction GIF by Willie Jones

• Like 4