Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Agent will be linking him to anyone he can get away with to try and drum up interest

Struggled at Everton, we won't touch him 

probably, not exciting if it were true but on a 1 year deal at least it would shut up the we need a striker people.

1 hour ago, abdulaziz1 said:

So no first team for Chelsea to no first team for Villa?

I’d agree if he was a left back, but I think the ride side is tricky at the moment. But of course if we’re offloading Guilbert then we’ll definitely have a look at him.

If the scouts rate him highly I would be happy to get rid of Guilbert and have him and Kessler as backup.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Agent will be linking him to anyone he can get away with to try and drum up interest

Struggled at Everton, we won't touch him 

He'd agree to be a backup though.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

He'd agree to be a backup though.

Because he's not good enough 

11 games 0 starts 0 goals for Everton last year

Not sure why anyone would want him here and think he would do anything better for us 

In the lull between signings and before the Euros starts, it gives one time to wonder if Villa are in the process of putting together the poshest team ever!

If we signed Ward-Prowse and Loftus-Cheek they would join Philogene-Bidace, Campton-Sturridge and Abldeen-Goddridge on the Villa books. I am sure the referees would double check the line-ups to make sure we were not fielding too many players!😀

If you want a young, exciting, attacking team you don't bring in the likes of Chris Wood and Josh King.

Just can't see either of these being anything but made up shit.

EDIT - the rumours, not the players.

Although they are fairly shit.

Edited by jacketspuds
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Chris Wood and Josh King. Laughable. 

Just now, jacketspuds said:

If you want a young, exciting, attacking team you don't bring in the likes of Chris Wood and Josh King.

Just can't see either of these being anything but made up shit.

The Office Reaction GIF

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Buendia plays on the right, and just like Jack likes to drift inside. This why I keep banging on about runners. One inside right the other inside left, drifting inside and linking up, and occasionally switching wings. You get Ollie making runs in front of them. Then two 8's taking turns to run beyond them in the middle with the fullbacks overlapping wide to provide the width.

You have these two wide, then even if you decide to bring on a number 10 you look at bringing on Traore as a shadow striker, as we won't need a number 10 to be a creator but a scorer.

from what I've read, it seems that Buendia was brought in as a Barkley replacement at that #10 role.

13 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

You can remove defence and Watkins leaves 5 positions. Say Grealish and Buendia cover 2 that leaves 3 positions. We have Traore El Ghazi Luiz McGinn Sanson Nakamba. Ramsey and Carney as well potentially unless sent on loan. We're more likely to sign cover for striker, wide attacking, fullbacks and centre halves than stocking up on more central midfielders unless some mentioned are moved on. 

this is also kind of where I'm at. I think we have to look at some departures before adding in certain positions

1 hour ago, allani said:

Centre Midfield - no.  I just don't think that any the teams above us (apart from maybe Leeds) would be interested in buying Nakamba, Luiz, Sanson, Ramsay or McGinn and putting them straight into their starting line-up.  As a trio I don't think any combination of those players is as good as those that the other teams we are challenging are.  There is potential there but we lost a lot of points last season because we lost the midfield battle and / or left our defence too exposed.

Attacking Midfield - OMG yes.  With Jack and Buendia I think we will be one of the most threatening teams in the league in that position.  Probably not far behind Man City and Liverpool.

So for me - we have quantity in midfield but not enough quality.  A really good central midfielder would probably allow us to use Luiz and McGinn / Sanson more effectively than we did last season.  Ramsay needs to go out on loan and prove himself for a season and should be replaced in the squad by Carney.  Nakamba will probably have a role to play in certain matches.  I really do think that this is the one position that we really need to nail this summer because if we get that right I think we have every chance of mounting a serious challenge this summer and finishing ahead of (at least some of) Leeds, West Ham, Everton and one of two of Spurs (especially if Kane goes), Arsenal and maybe Leicester.

I don't think that we need to offload players to do so (we'd have 5 players fighting for 3 places {depending on formation} - plus Carney getting sub appearances here and there - unless he steps up almost immediately and commands a more regular role in which case we hit gold - because he could become one of the best players in the league in my opinion, the only question is how long it will take him to get there).  With suspensions, ability to rest / rotate and having different options to suit different opposition that does not seem too many.

I guess it all really depends on where we are planning on playing Buendia. Because if we are playing him at the #10 role, that leaves us only 2 midfield roles for the rest of the squad -- If we go 4-3-3, Buendia drops into that midfield 3, and would play as the #10 in the 4-2-3-1. Plus McGinn is undroppable in Dean's eyes. 

If we're playing him on the wing, like Jack, then it would make more sense but we'd still have to figure out the #10 role with both Traore & Buendia being "key" signings over the last year for that right wing position. 

• Like 1

Just read on Goal.com that Chelsea are chasing Achraf Hakimi and if they end up winning his signature, then we're a likely destination for highly-rated academy product Tino Livramento. And yes, please.

I highly doubt we hold any interest whatsoever in Livramento, we already have Hayden who's the same age and highly rated, plus Livramento is more of wing-back/right-winger which doesn't make sense from our point of view either.

26 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

from what I've read, it seems that Buendia was brought in as a Barkley replacement at that #10 role.

this is also kind of where I'm at. I think we have to look at some departures before adding in certain positions

Are there any quotes from the manager or staff. As far as I know Smith prefers 2 8's and a 6. So believe this is just him getting back to how he wants to play. Barkley was supposed to be an 8 or a 10 when he came but we soon found out he's about as defensive as a paper bag, so he was a rubbish 8.

Clearly Nakamba isn't meant to be a first team regular and he's our only out and out 6. We then have 4 or 5 numbers 8's, so how do we accommodate a 10 or two. Then on top of all that of our current 2 right wingers, Trezguet is out till Christmas. So Clearly we needed another right winger.

To me it makes more sense to that he was signed to play right wing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Are there any quotes from the manager or staff. As far as I know Smith prefers 2 8's and a 6. So believe this is just him getting back to how he wants to play. Barkley was supposed to be an 8 or a 10 when he came but we soon found out he's about as defensive as a paper bag, so he was a rubbish 8.

Clearly Nakamba isn't meant to be a first team regular and he's our only out and out 6. We then have 4 or 5 numbers 8's, so how do we accommodate a 10 or two. Then on top of all that of our current 2 right wingers, Trezguet is out till Christmas. So Clearly we needed another right winger.

the athletic's Norwich correspondent's article mentioned that he was signed by us to play as a #10 (don't know how reliable that should be taken but he seems to be more plugged in at that club than gregg evans is with us so I am paying attention to it). Will be interested to see when official quotes from Dean / CS come out. 

I agree that we needed another winger but I would find it curious that we signed Traore last summer and already splashed the money to replace him in the XI. Who knows at this point though

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I guess it all really depends on where we are planning on playing Buendia. Because if we are playing him at the #10 role, that leaves us only 2 midfield roles for the rest of the squad -- If we go 4-3-3, Buendia drops into that midfield 3, and would play as the #10 in the 4-2-3-1. Plus McGinn is undroppable in Dean's eyes. 

If we're playing him on the wing, like Jack, then it would make more sense but we'd still have to figure out the #10 role with both Traore & Buendia being "key" signings over the last year for that right wing position. 

True.  I assume that Traore will become more of a super-sub next season.  But it will be nice to have some real options and to close the gap between the quality of the first XI and the bench.  One (maybe two if I am being greedy) more signings that go straight into the starting line-up and I genuinely think we are as close to being a serious challenger as we have been since the mid-90s.  At a time when several of the teams above us seem to be really struggling to maintain their positions.  Exciting times for sure.  Particularly when we are only probably 2-3 seasons away from our academy really beginning to pay off!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

With Jack and Buendia maybe we'll play them more as wide attacking midfielders rather than wingers?  Potential that we may lose some width that way - but I see both of them as cutting in to try and create chances rather than trying to beat their man on the outside and trying to whip in a cross for the centre forward.