Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Honestly, we all were...  Anyone who claims otherwise is a liar.  He was a monster player for Man City when he broke into their first team and we thought we got a bargain for both the large fee & Ireland for Jimmy Milner.  Oh, boy...  We were all wrong, weren't we?

Not that it matters but I never wanted him and was gutted with the terms of that whole deal, I’d suggest MoN felt the same way too.

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If he was left footed then I could see it but there's no way we buy a RB from chelsea

At 18 we don't even loan him 

He only has one year left on his professional contract. Chelsea are trying to buy Hakimi from Inter to play RWB. They have James and Azpilicueta there too. His route in to the first team is stuck.

If he wont sign a new contract (and agree to be loaned out) Chelsea will likely off load him this year to get some kind of money + sell-on clause to him.

It's been stated many times that we're being very aggressive about adding quality to our youth ranks in any way possible. Look at the outlays recently on Shakpoke, Barry, Swinkels and Bogarde. This would be more of the same.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wes said:

He only has one year left on his professional contract. Chelsea are trying to buy Hakimi from Inter to play RWB. They have James and Azpilicueta there too. His route in to the first team is stuck.

If he wont sign a new contract (and agree to be loaned out) Chelsea will likely off load him this year to get some kind of money + sell-on clause to him.

It's been stated many times that we're being very aggressive about adding quality to our youth ranks in any way possible. Look at the outlays recently on Shakpoke, Barry, Swinkels and Bogarde. This would be more of the same.

So no first team for Chelsea to no first team for Villa?

I’d agree if he was a left back, but I think the ride side is tricky at the moment. But ofcourse if we’re offloading Guilbert then we’ll definitely have a look at him.

2 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Did i say better than viera/pogba ??? Ill wait 🤔

To be fair you did say similar to Viera/Pogba but more consistent than Pogba. Which does read as though 'better than Pogba' as we'd all consider consistency to be a key attribute of any player.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

I also want to know where we would fit in another midfielder into our squad. Are we planning on playing Buendia in the Barkley role or will he work more out wide?

All I see is that we have Nakamba, Luiz, Sanson, Ramsay, (and Carney if we count him for the senior team only next year) for one position in midfield -- seeing as McGinn is undroppable from Dean's point of view.  Are we going to be able to shift one or two of these players or loan them out? 

OK first off, this is a general comment about our midfield and yours just happened to be the one I picked to respond to.  I think we are probably all agreed that the target for next season seems to be to challenge for the Top 8.  So we need to consider whether our current team / squad is of that quality.

Goalkeeper - Yes

Right Back - Not sure.  I don't see Cashy being a target for any of the teams that finished above us.  But I do like him and think that he got exposed last season because Traore isn't great defensively.  I certainly don't see him as a major issue.

Centre Backs - I would say we are OK (assuming no injuries).  Still unsure about Mings but for his (too frequent) moments of madness I think he is a good organiser and motivator.

Left Back - Yes, wasn't sold before but this season I think Targett has been right up there.

Centre Midfield - no.  I just don't think that any the teams above us (apart from maybe Leeds) would be interested in buying Nakamba, Luiz, Sanson, Ramsay or McGinn and putting them straight into their starting line-up.  As a trio I don't think any combination of those players is as good as those that the other teams we are challenging are.  There is potential there but we lost a lot of points last season because we lost the midfield battle and / or left our defence too exposed.

Attacking Midfield - OMG yes.  With Jack and Buendia I think we will be one of the most threatening teams in the league in that position.  Probably not far behind Man City and Liverpool.

Striker - I think yes.

So for me - we have quantity in midfield but not enough quality.  A really good central midfielder would probably allow us to use Luiz and McGinn / Sanson more effectively than we did last season.  Ramsay needs to go out on loan and prove himself for a season and should be replaced in the squad by Carney.  Nakamba will probably have a role to play in certain matches.  I really do think that this is the one position that we really need to nail this summer because if we get that right I think we have every chance of mounting a serious challenge this summer and finishing ahead of (at least some of) Leeds, West Ham, Everton and one of two of Spurs (especially if Kane goes), Arsenal and maybe Leicester.

I don't think that we need to offload players to do so (we'd have 5 players fighting for 3 places {depending on formation} - plus Carney getting sub appearances here and there - unless he steps up almost immediately and commands a more regular role in which case we hit gold - because he could become one of the best players in the league in my opinion, the only question is how long it will take him to get there).  With suspensions, ability to rest / rotate and having different options to suit different opposition that does not seem too many.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not that it matters but I never wanted him and was gutted with the terms of that whole deal, I’d suggest MoN felt the same way too.

I felt the Ireland deal was highly dubious, and didn't think he would fit in. Losing Milner and to top it off added a prick to the dressing room, disaster.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

If he was left footed then I could see it but there's no way we buy a RB from chelsea

Maybe they see him developing further forward as a winger ? Or maybe we need completion for Kessler ? Having two highly rated kids fighting for a position will only improve us. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

If he was left footed then I could see it but there's no way we buy a RB from Chelsea

As others have said - he has a year left on his contract so likely to be a transfer not loan.

TransferMarkt.co.uk have him listed as a right midfield, who can play RB. Chelsea have him as a wing back. For what that is worth.

Looking at a couple of Chelsea fan sites - they aren't happy he could leave cheaply (like many, it could be any youth team player they haven't seen is amazing); he's very fast and skilful. Likened to Lamptey (Tariq, not Nii). And he's played in every England age group up to U20.

Honestly, if the club think he might make it - sign him and we'll keep the best ones.

• Like 2