Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

34 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I like the idea of signing Sarr, however is he ready to get chucked straight in? Or would he be as well as JWP or similar? Can't see us spending the best part of £50-60million on 2 CMs.

If we signed both then surely someone would be leaving, but who?

Sarr looks promising as a future DM for us and can be brought in to a positive environment without instant demands, nurtured, developed & brought into the team at a steady pace…

Can only have so many midfielders and limited squad size, need some depth in other positions…

3 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

Of course that would be great, but I'd argue that a player as dynamic as Watkins won't want to join us if they're only going to serve as an alternative to him.

And, who knows, maybe Wood would become a bit more dynamic himself under a different system?

Clearly, we are probably not going to be getting an Ollie mk 2 or Ollie + but are probably looking for a younger version who can develop into an Ollie mk 2 or Ollie + but also has enough about him to add something now.  Lukas Nmecha looks a great option - at 22 - if the mooted price is correct (at less than £10m) - or someone of this ilk.

Wood is an old fashioned "9" and this works brilliantly for Burnley but would not work for our style of play which has been built, to date, on Ollie's mobility and dynamism. He could be an interesting option if we were chasing a game - he has aerial strength - but wouldn't fit in if Ollie were injured or needed resting with our normal style of play.

Equally, a bit like Jack for us, he has more value to them and their way of playing than he does to nearly every other team in the division.

I just don't see it.

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

With respect, I don't think you've watched Wood play very much if you think he's just someone to lump balls forward to. His technique is fantastic, he times his runs extremely well to get in the right places for square balls and crosses, and he's a pretty deadly finisher. For reference, his goals to shots conversion rate is (sorry to say) a fair bit better than our Ollie.

I'm not saying he's a better player but he's certainly far more 'dynamic' and useful than you're implying.

You are describing a goal scorer and Wood's record, in a largely defensive team, is proof of that. Dynamic is probably the wrong word and a better word would be mobility.

10 minutes ago, allani said:

Watkins is our best striker at the moment but I think he finished as the 8th top goal-scorer?  If we are aiming to challenge the top 6 then he needs to be the 4th or 5th top goalscorer.

I agree with most of the post but I don't think this is necessarily true. The work Watkins does without the ball is worth so much to us and besides that, only 2 of the top 4 had a player outscore Watkins and one of them was only because of penalties. Chelsea's top scorer only got 7!

Edited by YouUnastanFren
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Barry works hard and has good pace and finishing. For me he is still a little too lightweight. But a summer in the gym could see him knocking on the door. He is 18 now this the age he should be looking to make a breakthrough.

I agree that he would benefit massively from a bit more of a physique.  I would personally expect to see him at BH next year - in the U-23s/training with the first team/first team bench cover with injuries but, as importantly working with Ollie Stevenson to build his physique (in the same way that Jack did).  Then for me, out on loan the following season and he comes back, hopefully, first team squad ready.

48 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Not really. It's actually a very conservative estimate since he scored more goals (12) for a poor Burnley side this season. Last season, 14. The two seasons before that, 10 each.

Are you now saying he wouldn't be likely to score 9-10 goals in a much better Villa side?

I don't know the stats on this so I am more than prepared to be corrected.  But surely he would be expected to play fewer minutes at Villa than he did at Burnley?  Whilst I could see the potential of Watkins moving into more of a 10 role if we signed Tammy for example (and I don't want to get involved in that "debate" again!), I am not sure that I see us playing Jack, Buendia, Ollie and Wood at the same time.  I got fed up with the "he's not going to sign so forget it you are insane" responses to suggestions that I have made in the past.  So I am genuinely trying to engage in discussion here - both in terms of how you think he might fit into the team and why you think he would score goals here.  I've probably not watched enough of Burnley to have a proper view but he strikes me as more of a target man (like a KD but who can actually score)?  Happy to discuss offline if you would prefer to answer without having to justify to the wider VT audience as well.

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I think his skill and creativity is not at the standard to be top class there. But as a centre forward his movement, pace, workrate and finishing can make him world class. As a wide player he look like a fast striker playing wide, rather than a natural wideman to me.

Works for Liverpool but you have to adjust your team accordingly.

3 hours ago, Villa Stu said:

Long term maybe, but this season I can see him getting most of his game time as a wide forward especially after excelling there in the academy. Disagree that he looks like a fast st playing wide, IMO he has taken his game to another level whilst playing there. I think he needs to bulk up a bit to play st

Most of the young strikers start wide if they are thrust in early - Greenwood is a classic example.  If they have reasonable pace, there is less pressure to score goals out there and less requirement for a physique to hold up the ball.

Edited by barry'sboots
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’m sure Sanson will help in this regard and who know? He may well take McGinns place as the starter…

They’re quite similar but I believe Sanson is technically superior.

I think I would prefer Sanson or McGinn playing in the Barkley role next season rather than where McGinn played last season.  I just don't think that McGinn is imposing enough to play in a deeper role - his best pressing last season was done high up the pitch (Spurs springs to mind?).

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Burnley play in a very different way to us.  I would've thought Christian Benteke would thrive in a much better Liverpool side; but he didn't.

Chris Wood has none of the attributes that make our forward line exciting.  He doesn't press, he doesn't run with the ball, he doesn't look to find people in the channels, he doesn't come particularly deep to win the ball.  What he does very well is know where to position himself in the box, bully defenders and win the aerial battles.

So, personally, no - I don't think he'd do as well at Villa as he has done at Burnley.  I also think we'd be a worse side for having him in the team.  Would possibly work in a "last 20 minutes, throw the big guy on and try something different" sort of way, but I'd rather spend money on someone who could develop with us and fit into our system than risking a fair amount on someone approaching the twilight of their career who doesn't, on paper, look like a good fit.

We’re not signing Wood, can we please move on?

Thanks

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, allani said:

I think I would prefer Sanson or McGinn playing in the Barkley role next season rather than where McGinn played last season.  I just don't think that McGinn is imposing enough to play in a deeper role - his best pressing last season was done high up the pitch (Spurs springs to mind?).

I don’t think McGinn has enough quality or technical prowess to play there.

It will be Jack, Buendia or even Traore and possibly interchanging. You need to be highly skilled and talented to excel in that CAM position.

McGinn & Sanson are your typical box to box midfielders.

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Mostly agree except for the fast striker as a wide man. That how he looks to me. He needs to bulk up and be more robust to play senior level. And the wide play is to make him a more rounded player learn where his wingers want him to run. He will probably play wide for the seniors as well as cf once makes his breakthrough. Long term is definitely a striker.

I think he looks like a modern day wide forward mate, not a winger. Yes long term he will be a st but I think he will breakthrough as a wide forward and get most of his first team game time there until he bulks up

56 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I think it’s a fantastic idea, gives Nakamba and Doug the chance to step it up a level without the added pressure of a big name big price experienced 27 year old who’s expecting to play every game but some real talent coming through to improve or replace them.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I agree with most of the post but I don't think this is necessarily true. The work Watkins does without the ball is worth so much to us and besides that, only 2 of the top 4 had a player outscore Watkins and one of them was only because of penalties. Chelsea's top scorer only got 7!

Haha.  Yeah I knew that someone would come back at me with that!  And it is a very fair point.  Ollie's value is definitely not all about the goals he scores and it is no coincidence that our attacking midfielders have (I am almost certain but haven't checked the stats for definitive proof!) scored more than any players in those roles for us have for many a season.  However, my point really is that Ollie's position should not be guaranteed - he needs to be challenged and he needs to have the option to be rested so that he can play at his intense level.  As we have found with Jack, when you only have 1 option then it becomes harder for them to play every minute of every game without getting injured and if they are out for a while you can massively struggle.  Buendia takes a huge load of pressure off Jack (and vice-versa).  I am convinced Ollie will score more goals next season too (even if he doesn't play as many minutes) but we need to be able to give him a break every now and again!!

• Like 1