Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

I think it’s a fantastic idea, gives Nakamba and Doug the chance to step it up a level without the added pressure of a big name big price experienced 27 year old who’s expecting to play every game but some real talent coming through to improve or replace them.

Sold! 😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

It’s always best to believe it’s true, regardless of any evidence, then run with it as much as possible, leaving hundreds of pages full of fish, tits and gifs in your wake. 

Welcome Sarr!

It's full of fish, tits and the Villa,

oh villa talk is wonderful

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Sarr following Villa on Insta and liking Grealish MOM post as well as Buendia signing post...

👀

He doesn't seem to be following Villa from what I can see. He is however following PSG, Lyon, Real, Barca and City.

49 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I also think a big part is McGinn really flagging from 70th minute mark, starts playing careless passes and can't press like he does first half so we start dropping deeper if we're winning the game.

DS really needs to have more confidence in the squad next season to actually sub him off in games when this starts happening.

Luiz came on v Spurs and did a great job in helping us win so if he's going to be rotated more next season we really have no excuse for McGinn being this unsubbed option if he's on the bench a bit more next season and Nakamba also obvious sub if he's still at the club.

I’m sure Sanson will help in this regard and who know? He may well take McGinns place as the starter…

They’re quite similar but I believe Sanson is technically superior.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Burnley play in a very different way to us.  I would've thought Christian Benteke would thrive in a much better Liverpool side; but he didn't.

Chris Wood has none of the attributes that make our forward line exciting.  He doesn't press, he doesn't run with the ball, he doesn't look to find people in the channels, he doesn't come particularly deep to win the ball.  What he does very well is know where to position himself in the box, bully defenders and win the aerial battles.

So, personally, no - I don't think he'd do as well at Villa as he has done at Burnley.  I also think we'd be a worse side for having him in the team.  Would possibly work in a "last 20 minutes, throw the big guy on and try something different" sort of way, but I'd rather spend money on someone who could develop with us and fit into our system than risking a fair amount on someone approaching the twilight of their career who doesn't, on paper, look like a good fit.

It's not a virtue that we only have 1 way of playing. Players who fit our system are great, but we also need players that give us the option of playing a different way effectively.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

We need someone better than Watkins.

Not to put Woods down or anything but the whole idea of upgrading a squad is to bring better in than what you have already. The whole idea of making upgrades ontop of what you have has a purpose or few and one of those is you bring better in so that the already existent players have to up there game even more. It does make sure that players who are there already don't get abit set in there ways and keep trying to evolve and consistently improve so the new players then have people breathing down there backs.

Watkins is better than Woods and if we bought him here it'd be a strange one. We'd be buying worse not better and I do not know how Watkins is going to or be expected to improve off that move. The fact he wouldn't feel he has someone fighting to jump in his place could make him feel less bothered over time and some bad habits may creep in.

We need someone else who can play the way he does but in a different way, who can also score as he does and make Watkins feel his place is threatened.

That's all anyway if we choose to bring someone in after giving Wes a chance, Davis is certainly never going to make Watkins place feel threatened. I think Barry could down the line, if we started giving Barry minutes and he actually puts some of those stunning performances in he has done for the youth side and also scored some goal, Watkins would have a legitimate threat breathing down his kneck.

I know that you will be knocked for this.  But I agree with you.  A back up striker who is happy to sit on the bench and get 15 minutes at the death is not what we need.  Watkins is our best striker at the moment but I think he finished as the 8th top goal-scorer?  If we are aiming to challenge the top 6 then he needs to be the 4th or 5th top goalscorer.  I think he will score more goals this season (assuming he stays injury free) because Buendia is a (hopefully!) such a great signing and will create extra chances for him.  So I am not sure we need to sign someone better than Watkins (as I think Watkins next season will be better than Watkins this season) but we do need someone who can play alongside him (if we are behind and are trying to put real pressure on the opposition penalty area), who will keep him on his toes and who can either come on as a sub and / or start a few matches when we have a number of fixtures within a short period of time so that Watkins keeps fit and sharp.  His energy and running are immense but there were definitely a few matches last season when he looked a bit "leggy" (and justifiably so!).  So the new striker would have a big role to play throughout the season not just a back-up role.  Even more so if Watkins did get injured - and just look at how many times he got kicked last season (especially to the back of his calf) when he was holding the ball up - it is very likely that at some point one of those will put him out for a few weeks regardless of how fit he is.  Yes it will give Smith some more headaches over selection but that is a GOOD thing.  I know people are worried about the cost of a player of similar status / potential to Ollie.  However, there really is little point upgrading our midfield as well as we seem to be - if Ollie then gets injured.  There is no-one else at the club who would realistically get 15 plus goals up front next season.  Wesley's fitness is suspect, KD is playing in the wrong division, Bertie is our magic enigma cutting in from wide and not a striker who can stand up to mauling he'd get from centre backs, AEG is decent at arriving late and finding space in the box rather than leading a line.  Barrie looks like a great finisher but he's still pretty small physically and would have lumps kicked out of him by most centre backs - he looks more suited to coming on down the left and letting Jack drift inside.  I've momentarily forgotten the name of the guy who led the line in the FA Youth Cup.  He looked very good.  But I think he needs a year of "big boy" football in the lower leagues to suss out what role he can play here.

All of which means that you are right - he shouldn't be looking for a back-up.  We should be looking for someone who will challenge Ollie and is capable of replacing him without massively detracting from the quality of our attack.  It will cost money and maybe ideally we'd be better to strengthen other areas this summer and wait until another year when we can "afford" to devote more of the transfer kitty to a striker.  I'd definitely rather we bought a midfielder first and then a striker.  But if our options next season are Ollie, Wes and KD then we are taking a hell of a risk.  Of course is Wes has fully recovered from his injury, is unlikely to suffer a repeat, maybe he is the answer.  But I'm far from convinced and would far rather we gave him a chance to go out on loan, play more often and hopefully get some goals before coming back (possibly in Jan) to stake his claim here - or if it doesn't work out so well, at least try and earn a decent move next summer.  Also I genuinely think that the Board and the Owners know that this summer is a massive opportunity.  Some of the so-called big teams are struggling financially, have lost a load of respect over the super league (I suspect fan protests to continue at some of the clubs next season) and have huge holes in their budget for next season because they are not in the Champions League, or Europe.  This gives us a much better chance of snapping up players that might not be "expected" to sign for us.  Would Buendia have held out for Arsenal if they were playing Champions League football next season?  Whilst Smith and Purslow have talked about a quieter transfer window - I still think that if someone's name cropped up who they thought was out of our league but fitted our recruitment model then they would find a way of at least talking to the owners about it.  And I am convinced that our Christian has a couple of FFP "loop-holes" that he has spotted and is just waiting to take advantage of should it be necessary!

• Thanks 1