Jump to content

Summer transfer window 2021


zab6359
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Chris Wood is a very intelligent striker putting up decent numbers in one of the least creative clubs in the league.

Anyone turning up their nose at him needs to check their perspective. He would absolutely strengthen us and offer a really good alternative to Ollie up top.

At the reported 30m though? (pinch of salt required)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Oh yeah, I’m not knocking the way Wolves are building for the future, I think with FFP and stuff it’s probably a prudent way to build. If a little risky. What I meant was that how did we get to a stage where one independent private agent is basically controlling the transfer dealings of an entire Premier League club… that’s the bit that’s seems mad to me.

Wolves were a mid table nothing championship team.  Mendes managed to get them the likes of Neves, Boly, Jota to get them out  championship, an enticing opportunity. If you offered wolves fans that  ultimatum 4 years ago they'd accept. 

Fosun are an investment portfolio. They could not care less about the club or the players. As a result they will now break even, by selling a Mendes player for huge money each season and buy a young Mendes player for Premier league exposure (whilst he lines his pockets) . The clubs value will grow thus proving a ROI for their investors. 

Although our owners are fantastic, they aren't just going to spend 1b on players, and are already pouring finances into the youth system to make us sustainable. We will probably start doing the same but at a much higher level. Sell a star player occasionally if a crazy offer comes in, supplement with youth players and excellent recruitment. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing with this Sarr kid and his fee and talk of why pay that for such a young player is this- if we are paying that for him (if the talk is true), then we're not paying for a youth academy prospect, we're paying for a player who has played consistent first team games in Ligue 1.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

That's all well and good except Chuck isn't playing in the same position. He isn't a defensive minded player. If that's what we need, Chuck isn't that guy.

I don't agree he is mainly a central midfielder but can also play defensive or attacking midfield as well.

Chuk can be that guy if Smith make him that guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Chris Wood is a very intelligent striker putting up decent numbers in one of the least creative clubs in the league.

Anyone turning up their nose at him needs to check their perspective. He would absolutely strengthen us and offer a really good alternative to Ollie up top.

I don't think Wood is the right player for the team. I believe we need someone more dynamic. Now if we sold Wesley and Loaned out Davis he would be a great guy to bring on and lump balls forward. But we'll still need that dynamic striker similar to Watkins.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a separate note, I would be fine going into the season with what we have upfront as Louie Barry is also knocking at the door, Wesley has a whole summer and preseason to get fit and develop his game and will be super fresh, if he were to be thrown in, he'd need 4 or 5 games to get properly match fit and sharp, but I think he could make a real impact with Buendia and Jack supplying as he's a good finisher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I don't think Wood is the right player for the team. I believe we need someone more dynamic. Now if we sold Wesley and Loaned out Davis he would be a great guy to bring on and lump balls forward. But we'll still need that dynamic striker similar to Watkins.

Of course that would be great, but I'd argue that a player as dynamic as Watkins won't want to join us if they're only going to serve as an alternative to him.

And, who knows, maybe Wood would become a bit more dynamic himself under a different system?

Edited by His Name Is Death
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
13 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Wolves were a mid table nothing championship team.  Mendes managed to get them the likes of Neves, Boly, Jota to get them out  championship, an enticing opportunity. If you offered wolves fans that  ultimatum 4 years ago they'd accept. 

Fosun are an investment portfolio. They could not care less about the club or the players. As a result they will now break even, by selling a Mendes player for huge money each season and buy a young Mendes player for Premier league exposure (whilst he lines his pockets) . The clubs value will grow thus proving a ROI for their investors. 

Although our owners are fantastic, they aren't just going to spend 1b on players, and are already pouring finances into the youth system to make us sustainable. We will probably start doing the same but at a much higher level. Sell a star player occasionally if a crazy offer comes in, supplement with youth players and excellent recruitment. 

 

Yeah I know, totally agree that Wolves fans will be ecstatic with where the are, but the system itself seems broken to me if a whole club is hamstrung by one person. What if he decides to turn off the supply of players? What if his demands become unreasonable? I’m sure it’s an evil the Wolves fans are happy to bear, but it just seems wrong to me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah I know, totally agree that Wolves fans will be ecstatic with where the are, but the system itself seems broken to me if a whole club is hamstrung by one person. What if he decides to turn off the supply of players? What if his demands become unreasonable? I’m sure it’s an evil the Wolves fans are happy to bear, but it just seems wrong to me.

I agree with you but Wolves fans thinks he's God the way they talk about him, like he can do no wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

On a separate note, I would be fine going into the season with what we have upfront as Louie Barry is also knocking at the door, Wesley has a whole summer and preseason to get fit and develop his game and will be super fresh, if he were to be thrown in, he'd need 4 or 5 games to get properly match fit and sharp, but I think he could make a real impact with Buendia and Jack supplying as he's a good finisher.

I think Barry will more likely break through this season but as a wide forward mate. Young is the 1 from the academy that I think is most suited to eventually breakthrough as a st, similar style to Ollie, quick, strong, skilful and physically mature beyond his years, maybe loan young out this season and see if he is ready next season. 

I would like to get someone like daka that can play across the front and be a suitable backup to Ollie. It would be an incredible front line having Ollie with 3 out of Jack, buendia, daka or traore behind him

Edited by Villa Stu
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I agree with you but Wolves fans thinks he's God the way they talk about him, like he can do no wrong.

I’m sure they do, but I think it’ll all end in tears!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
10 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I don't think Wood is the right player for the team. I believe we need someone more dynamic. Now if we sold Wesley and Loaned out Davis he would be a great guy to bring on and lump balls forward. But we'll still need that dynamic striker similar to Watkins.

With respect, I don't think you've watched Wood play very much if you think he's just someone to lump balls forward to. His technique is fantastic, he times his runs extremely well to get in the right places for square balls and crosses, and he's a pretty deadly finisher. For reference, his goals to shots conversion rate is (sorry to say) a fair bit better than our Ollie.

I'm not saying he's a better player but he's certainly far more 'dynamic' and useful than you're implying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Of course that would be great, but I'd argue that a player as dynamic as Watkins won't want to join us if they're only going to serve as an alternative to him.

And, who knows, maybe Wood would become a bit more dynamic himself under a different system?

Have to disagree on both points. Edouard is going to Leicester as backup for Vardy. We need runners up top as apart from Watkins we don't have any. Pace and energy is the remit for me. Such players can always be found.

Wood is 31 year old Big lump of a striker, he is isn't going to suddenly become more mobile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Have to disagree on both points. Edouard is going to Leicester as backup for Vardy. We need runners up top as apart from Watkins we don't have any. Pace and energy is the remit for me. Such players can always be found.

Wood is 31 year old Big lump of a striker, he is isn't going to suddenly become more mobile.

He’s 29 to be fair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

With respect, I don't think you've watched Wood play very much if you think he's just someone to lump balls forward to. His technique is fantastic, he times his runs extremely well to get in the right places for square balls and crosses, and he's a pretty deadly finisher. For reference, his goals to shots conversion rate is (sorry to say) a fair bit better than our Ollie.

I'm not saying he's a better player but he's certainly far more 'dynamic' and useful than you're implying.

Does he have energy to burn and pace to run in behind? I haven't seen that. He's a good target man, but with the creativity we now have we need a Runner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
Just now, Philosopher said:

Does he have energy to burn and pace to run in behind? I haven't seen that. He's a good target man, but with the creativity we now have we need a Runner.

Pace is one of the most expensive traits in the transfer market.

People are complaining about 25-30m for the likes of Wood. Fair enough, but get ready to pay literally double that if you want a player who's a sharp shooter AND fast on the break. I highly doubt we're willing to spend anything like that on 1 player with wages etc on top.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

I think Barry will more likely break through this season but as a wide forward mate. Young is the 1 from the academy that I think is most suited to eventually breakthrough as a st, similar style to Ollie, quick, strong, skilful and physically mature beyond his years, maybe loan young out this season and see if he is ready next season. 

I would like to get someone like daka that can play across the front and be a suitable backup to Ollie. It would be an incredible front line having Ollie with 3 out of Jack, buendia, daka or traore behind him

Barry works hard and has good pace and finishing. For me he is still a little too lightweight. But a summer in the gym could see him knocking on the door. He is 18 now this the age he should be looking to make a breakthrough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Pace is one of the most expensive traits in the transfer market.

People are complaining about 25-30m for the likes of Wood. Fair enough, but get ready to pay literally double that if you want a player who's a sharp shooter AND fast on the break. I highly doubt we're willing to spend anything like that on 1 player with wages etc on top.

They can be found. There are plenty around. Another target man , when we have two is not the answer.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Barry works hard and has good pace and finishing. For me he is still a little too lightweight. But a summer in the gym could see him knocking on the door. He is 18 now this the age he should be looking to make a breakthrough.

I agree with you mate, just think his style, pace, control on the ball, vision and skills will make him an outstanding wide forward. He has been brilliant there for the academy. Brings players in, assists and still gets a bag load of goals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â