Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I doubt us signing youth is done since we let a fair few go recently.

I'm not sure we will spend that much on youngsters though, as other have said 30 mill is alot for a youngster, an awful lot..

Yes - you're probably better pay  £100k for a 15 year old ! 

Sarr is only eighteen, played over twenty games last season in Ligue one, Metz fans rate him as their players, he's already been capped by Senagal's full international side, and is being linked to a lot of clubs, he's seemingly one of the most wanted young players in France if not Europe. I don't think he''d cost £30m, but wouldn't be surprised at £20m plus, given how highly rated he appears to be, doubtful we or anyone else would get him for as little as £10m.

Also despite his young age I don't think he'd be classed as a youth signing, we wouldn't be signing him to play for our U23s, he'd come straight into the first team squad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Yes - you're probably better pay  £100k for a 15 year old ! 

It's a big big difference and you could buy god knows how many before it totals to 30 millions all it means is you have to wait a little while longer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Wolves are a different story, because of Mendes sometimes they do business but the team doesn’t seem to be benefiting from. It’s a case of to give you this player, sell this and buy this or something like that.

What a mad system; an agent dictating who a club can buy and under what circumstances. The system is so broken really. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Fair point but didnt Wolves also pay £30 mil for Fabio Silva? 
I’d be surprised if we were in for him at that price but willing to put trust in the recruitment team if it’s true and they think he is worth it.

Mentioned on the Wolves thread. 

Benfica, Sporting etc all wanted the transfer investigating. He was worth nowhere near that. Porto were in covid financial trouble. Mendes got Silva signed for a grossly inflated fee (and pocketed about 6 million as well). 

Thats the wrong side of having an agent involved in transfers. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

We don’t but the coaching and medical staff should have some idea.

That will most likely dictate what we sign in terms of a striking option.

Should also ease your optimist/pessimist internal mental turmoil 🙂

I’ll be fine 😂

crazy madness GIF

15 minutes ago, useless said:

Sarr is only eighteen, played over twenty games last season in Ligue one, Metz fans rate him as their players, he's already been capped by Senagal's full international side, and is being linked to a lot of clubs, he's seemingly one of the most wanted young players in France if not Europe. I don't think he''d cost £30m, but wouldn't be surprised at £20m plus, given how highly rated he appears to be, doubtful we or anyone else would get him for as little as £10m.

Also despite his young age I don't think he'd be classed as a youth signing, we wouldn't be signing him to play for our U23s, he'd come straight into the first team squad.

I think you're right. Personally I'd loan him back if I signed him. Another season in France developing his game and body, while taking English lessons would be the best thing for him.

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

What a mad system; an agent dictating who a club can buy and under what circumstances. The system is so broken really. 

The young players wolves signed last season are all amongst the best wonderkids in Football Manager. They are amongst the best prospects in the world, but they're not ready yet, even in football manager they need 3 or 4 seasons to become quality Premier league players. As with any prospect they don't all make it. They sold good first teamers for world class emerging talents, it's a big risk that won't pay off for another couple of seasons at least. However if it does they will have a couple of genuine world class players. 

3 hours ago, Villarocker said:

We rate Chuckie highly so I can't see us spending £30m on someone else's 18 year old when we have our own breaking through. I think that's an agent trying to get his player a big deal. 

I think we need left back cover, centre back cover and a big starting defensive midfielder and a striker. No idea about the defenders and striker but I do fancy us to outbid the gooners again and bring in Sander Berge to play the DM role. 

I think we'll let Engels and Wesley go and, maybe one of Nakamba or Luiz. 

That's all well and good except Chuck isn't playing in the same position. He isn't a defensive minded player. If that's what we need, Chuck isn't that guy.

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really smart though isn’t dropping 15-20m on a striker that won’t be good enough for us in 12 months time.  We’ve either got to buy really raw or a fading star then.  If we buy a mid level striker we are just throwing money away.  

We shouldn’t be thinking second slot at all, that small team mentality (no disrespect).  Ollie is our main striker but we have to bring in somebody to compete with him and if he ends up taking Ollies spot over time so be it that can only be good for us.

While European extra games is a thing, rotation in the league is just as important for freshness, injuries, form and tactics. Plus having a back up striker concerns me if he gets injured.  

Being smart is not - having Grealish and Buendia creating all these chances and not putting them away.  I will keep pointing to Wolves this season and how their back ups did.  It killed their season before they started.  Also a poor season in that sense and then we’d definitely lose Grealish then.

I think we agree Nick.  We both want genuine competition for Ollie.

I don't want us to drop £20m on a journeyman "9" that, as you say, won't be good enough for where we want to be in 12 months time, but equally I don't think that we will bring in a "9" that will come in and displace Ollie on day 1.  I don't think we are there.  Frankly, I don't think many teams would be there after Ollie's first season!!  Spurs and Everton have similar conundrums when searching for back up "9"s.  Also similar, in many respects, to back up for Emi, if we go out and bring in a new GK.

We are buying back up but that back up needs to be as good as we can get with as high a cieling as we can get whilst also being able to contribute on day 1 as and when needed.

40 minutes ago, useless said:

Rather buy the next big thing for £20m at 18 than £60m at 21. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s a bad one, but one that helped them to go up and made a solid base. So I don’t think they can complain. 
But not it will hurt them if they don’t react. I don’t think Covid helped them too.

47 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The young players wolves signed last season are all amongst the best wonderkids in Football Manager. They are amongst the best prospects in the world, but they're not ready yet, even in football manager they need 3 or 4 seasons to become quality Premier league players. As with any prospect they don't all make it. They sold good first teamers for world class emerging talents, it's a big risk that won't pay off for another couple of seasons at least. However if it does they will have a couple of genuine world class players. 

Oh yeah, I’m not knocking the way Wolves are building for the future, I think with FFP and stuff it’s probably a prudent way to build. If a little risky. What I meant was that how did we get to a stage where one independent private agent is basically controlling the transfer dealings of an entire Premier League club… that’s the bit that’s seems mad to me.

3 big money signings I’m Buendia, McNeil and JWP.

2 smaller signings in Tuanzebe and Bertrand.

Speculative singing in Sarr.

Loan signing of Tammy.

Whoever is the next big Scandinavian player using Lange connections.

Wallop window done, get it done before they return to training. 

44 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

It’s a bad one, but one that helped them to go up and made a solid base. So I don’t think they can complain. 
But not it will hurt them if they don’t react. I don’t think Covid helped them too.

Yeah true, I doubt their fans are that worried about it. It just seems wrong that a whole club is at the whim of one manipulative bloke. 

I don't see why bringing in Chris Wood would be the worst thing in the world.

As has already been pointed out, a proven goalscorer like Tammy is not going to want to play second fiddle to Ollie, and we want Ollie thriving up front, not on the wing.

Wood scored 12 in the PL last season, and 14 before that, so he's probably one of the best backup strikers we could get, one I'd be fairly confident of being able to get to play every now and then rather than every game.

He might even be able to match those goalscoring totals when he's not playing for a bunch of shithousers, even as a sub. Realistically, how much more could you ask for when what you need is a stopgap when Ollie needs a rest or gets an injury?

Edited by His Name Is Death

21 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Oh yeah, I’m not knocking the way Wolves are building for the future, I think with FFP and stuff it’s probably a prudent way to build. If a little risky. What I meant was that how did we get to a stage where one independent private agent is basically controlling the transfer dealings of an entire Premier League club… that’s the bit that’s seems mad to me.

I agree with the agent stuff, even though it's beneficial to wolve as they would still be in the championship. But I don’t think it's good for the game. 

It is alway a risk selling good first team players and not properly replacing them, there is definitely a long term plan there. 

I would like Villa to sign similar prospects but without selling first teamers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Chris Wood is a very intelligent striker putting up decent numbers in one of the least creative clubs in the league.

Anyone turning up their nose at him needs to check their perspective. He would absolutely strengthen us and offer a really good alternative to Ollie up top.

At the reported 30m though? (pinch of salt required)