Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

For what it's worth the below link is a breakdown of Sarr's stats relative to other players in his position in the top 5 leagues in Europe. Quite impressive given his age, something else to have those defensive stats combined with carries in possession that aren't a million miles off what Jack's would be.

https://fbref.com/en/players/feb5d972/scout/365_euro/Pape-Matar-Sarr-Scouting-Report

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

According to this he is a box to box midfielder.... I have lost interest already, if it isn't a DCM then it can piss off.

Nah but he is more of a " Toure " type IMO.  I'd still welcome that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nah but he is more of a " Toure " type IMO.  I'd still welcome that.

Fine but if we are bringing in midfielders who play roles which we have plenty of players for already then someone current needs to go.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Fine but if we are bringing in midfielders who play roles which we have plenty of players for already then someone current needs to go.

Conor seems the obvious candidate.

Btw I like Pape Sarr's youtube video but yeah 30M seems a bit of a gamble on an 18 year old who plays for Metz.... and we have some full back positions to fill...

Still I trust or clubs staff, if they see it, then cool.

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Conor seems the obvious candidate.

Btw I like Pape Sarr's youtube video but yeah 30M seems a bit of a gamble on an 18 year old who plays for Metz.... and we have some full back positions to fill...

Still I trust or clubs staff, if they see it, then cool.

Conor is already surplus, we are talking about the ones who actually played for us this year.

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Decent player plenty of potential. I've got BT SPORT so watched a few French ligue 1 games. Personally I'd prefer K.Thuram or Kamara from Marseille. But Sarr isn't bad and can thrive and improve. Has a ridiculously powerful shot though.

Yeah but sarr is 2-3 years younger. I don't know much about Ligue 1 but from highlights I have seen from him he looks to have a lot of potential on the ball and as a defender. His highlights certainly looked more impressive than K. Thurams who looked very gangly. 

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

According to this he is a box to box midfielder.... I have lost interest already, if it isn't a DCM then it can piss off.

Dean Smith, Christian Purslow and Johan Lange in response :

who is that GIF

• Haha 1

Was I watching the right Pape Sarr "highlight" reel? He seemed to win the ball then get disposessed seconds later often. Wasn't he around same age when he started last season that Carney will be this season?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Dean Smith, Christian Purslow and Johan Lange in response :

who is that GIF

They can lick the sweat off my sack if they think they don’t need a DCM

We rate Chuckie highly so I can't see us spending £30m on someone else's 18 year old when we have our own breaking through. I think that's an agent trying to get his player a big deal. 

I think we need left back cover, centre back cover and a big starting defensive midfielder and a striker. No idea about the defenders and striker but I do fancy us to outbid the gooners again and bring in Sander Berge to play the DM role. 

I think we'll let Engels and Wesley go and, maybe one of Nakamba or Luiz. 

a thread here from a United fan who has pulled together a bunch of stats on DMs he considers to be some of the best or most promising in football. Some aren't really DMs but the thread itself is quite interesting.

Pape Sarr isn't far behind Ndidi, Tchouameni, Bissouma for defensive duels won. Is further behind in Interceptions and Recoveries but is most similar there to say Jorginho but again, similar to Bissouma. Pretty much shares a position with Kante for pressuring the opposition. Ranks alright for progressive runs, not many progressive passes but better or similar to Rice, Bissouma, Fabinho. Doesn't do a lot in the final third but again Bissouma's name isn't far away here either. Turnovers is quite poor, he's amongst the highest here, but the likes of Berge, Mctominay and Camavinga are all worse and two of those names pop up in here regularly.

A big pinch of salt in this as it's pulled together by a fan but the data is interesting nonetheless especially comparing Pape Sarrs name to ones more of us will actually have heard of.

• Like 1