Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

21 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Major surgery is not required but we have to strengthen in a sensible & considered way… you can always improve…

If Mansour is saying that Citeh need a couple of quality additions to maintain their position, then I am damn sure that we do if we have aspirations to push on!

I believe that the owners - from what I have seen - are very ambitious and I personally hope that they see this window as an opportunity to really capitalise on the market conditions and create a really good squad that can compete in the race for the 5th (outside of the current top 4) to 10th spot and ideally at the top end of this.  I think we have showed, at times this year, that we are not far off this and with a few quality additions, particularly in the front 6, and some good back up/squad additions, we could be in that hunt.

Like most of us, I suspect, I am also really desperate to see Jack stay and I don't think he will if he doesn't feel that the owners are looking to build a squad capable of challenging for the CL over the next couple of years. This, for me, is a bit like Spurs leveraging off the good fortune of finding Kane (at nil cost) to get themselves competitive but then, through poor recruitment and mismanagement, throwing away that ace and going backwards and seeing Kane wanting to leave.

7 hours ago, Enda said:

Listen, I don't care about his style of play. You referred to a 29 year old as a dinosaur.

As a man in his 30s, I have reported you to the Crown Prosecution Service.

I didn't make any reference whatsoever to his age it was all about his Jurassic style of play I slept easy no knocks at the door!

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'll keep posting it. Nakamba played 6 full games. We won 5 drew 1 including wins over Arsenal Leeds Spurs Chelsea 

I get that you like Nakamba!  I have said that I don't dislike him and he has certainly done well this year in circumstances where we were, in possession terms, "under the cosh" but it is an area where I think we can upgrade - I have explained previously that I think, to go to the next level, we need a "Nakamba" that can do more.  I think a lot on here (not all, I accept) feel similar.

15 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

The reason he didn't play more I'm convinced is Smith doesn't want to play out and out DCM unless vs certain opponents, injuries etc. 

I agree. I think you are supporting an argument for why we might look to upgrade!  Smith wants to play front foot/progressive football and doesn't just want and extra defender in there.  Surely, the ideal scenario for Smith is to have a player that can do what Nakamba does (being a defensive shield) whilst also being capable of playing progressive football - best of both worlds.  A Kante, Fabinho, Ndidi, Rice or Bissouma type - "6"s (although I am sure these used to be "4"s??) that can also play?  I don't see why any team would not want that?

22 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Nothing wrong with Nakamba as squad player

We could keep him as a squad player but I wouldn't if we brought in a better all round DCM as (1) I think he has value (not sure where we are on FFP); (2) I see Dougie L as the better back up (indeed for much of 2020 post Restart he was largely the player that I am talking about above and I hope that he can get back to that level as he is still only a baby); and (3) I personally prefer to keep a squad reasonably tight/2 options for each position other than keeper and "9", especially when you don't have European football and want to involve younger players.

29 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

don't think we're in for DCM.

You may be right but I'm really not sure how you can make that statement - I think everybody on here is speculating or discussing their preferences/hopes - unless you are Lange/Purslow/NSWE and I am pretty sure none of them are sitting in Auckland? 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

73 games Left AM 

17 goals 16 assists of those 14 goals and 12 assists in PL from all seasons

105 games CAM

13 goals 21 assists but 0 goal 3 assists in PL

Bulk of his goals and assists at CAM are in Championship

I don't recall him playing many times, if at all, as a "10" in the Championship - he was largely an "8" (deeper) in a 4-3-3 with two "8"s.

Obviously, stats don't tell the whole story - he had a great start to the PL season on the LW largely because the team was functioning really well, including Barkley looking like a world beater at "10".  When he has played "10" in the PL more recently he hasn't necessarily had the attacking quality outside him to work with.

I think Grealish is so good that he can play either role or even on the RW (as he did for his assist against West Ham) or as an "8" like he did in the championship.  For me it is all about, hopefully, getting players around him that can work better with him/create more space for him and where Jack plays will, for me, depend upon where he feels most comfortable and what other players we can access.

I would really love to see a system where our three behind Ollie could be completely interchangeable/fluid.  E.g. Jack - Rashica - Buendia, where Jack could play across the three as could Rashica and Buendia could play RW or "10".  That would make it so hard for the opposition to set up a plan to deal with Jack.

5 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

You may be right but I'm really not sure how you can make that statement - I think everybody on here is speculating or discussing their preferences/hopes - unless you are Lange/Purslow/NSWE and I am pretty sure none of them are sitting in Auckland? 😉

I'm interested in tangible realistic signings based on what I've seen of the squad and what's been said by Smith, Purslow, since well before last season such as:

- we had to near replace a whole team after promotion. That was a one off and future windows will be about incremental progress. 

- 4 parties are required to agree on transfer, both clubs, the player, and players agent (more if you include WAGS etc).

- Brexit and Covid have changed everything

- we need to qualify for Europe to justify significant outlay not before

2 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I would really love to see a system where our three behind Ollie could be completely interchangeable/fluid.  E.g. Jack - Rashica - Buendia, where Jack could play across the three as could Rashica and Buendia could play RW or "10".  That would make it so hard for the opposition to set up a plan to deal with Jack

After the debut season Traore has had I don't understand the Rashica obsession as I imagine is the same for the coaching staff. It's this stuff that does my head in. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm interested in tangible realistic signings based on what I've seen of the squad and what's been said by Smith, Purslow, since well before last season such as:

- we had to near replace a whole team after promotion. That was a one off and future windows will be about incremental progress. 

- 4 parties are required to agree on transfer, both clubs, the player, and players agent (more if you include WAGS etc).

- Brexit and Covid have changed everything

- we need to qualify for Europe to justify significant outlay not before

I am not sure whether a limited spend is what you want or what you believe will be the case?

As I said, you may well be right, but NSWE have spent nearly £250m over the last two years, including £80-90m last window which was in the middle of a COVID impacted period.  They could do the same again??  When you are ambitious men - and they has also talked about regularly competing for the top 4 in the relatively short term - and Sawiris in particular has fantastic wealth ($36bn for his family) and I am not sure that COVID has adversely affected his wealth, he could easily spend this and not blink.  We won't know what is "realistic" for our owners until the window has closed.

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

After the debut season Traore has had I don't understand the Rashica obsession as I imagine is the same for the coaching staff. It's this stuff that does my head in. 

Traore has shown moments of pure brilliance (I think his goal at West Brom was our goal of the season), but he has also had some really poor games and at times has tried things that have been real negatives defensively - he is a real enigma (if that is the right word).  A decent first season and I definitely hope that he can kick on now and could be part of our long term plans (better than AEG and Trez for me), but I think the wide areas (or ACM as well if Jack stays out wide) are where we need investment to get four players competing for/rotating in/giving bench options in the two positions.

Rashica brings something different, from what I have seen, in that he has pace and can move with the ball and outrun defenders/stretch defences.  BT, Buendia and certainly AEG don't have this for me and I would love this option.  I also think it is potentially an example of a "moneyball" type signing, as Sanson was, where an asset can be acquired relatively cheaply, because of circumstances.

12 hours ago, nick76 said:

I really struggle to see that mate.  What you are saying in theory is ok but reality I wouldnt think that's what they are trying to do.  I'm not sure Steer would want to be a yoyo and the club loaning him being at that risk themselves.  You go on loan with the intention of not being called back during that loan period.  In the scenario you are suggesting there is a huge risk for loaning club.  The only people that benefit are Villa, the player and the loaning club I'm not convinced it's a great deal.  Obviously goalkeepers dont get injured often but if Emi starts the first few games and then gets injured after the transfer window is closed and Steer is called back then the loaning club is screwed until next window.

Not even sure you can do that now can you?  I thought that if you made a loan nowadays you could only call them back and register them in your squad in the next window??

7 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Rashica brings something different, from what I have seen, in that he has pace and can move with the ball and outrun defenders/stretch defences

Are you basing this on YouTube videos when he was linked last season or watched diligently some games for Werder last season?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think his injury record with similar injuries will be the reason he stays at Villa for the rest of his career because while he's a world class talent it's hard to fork out over 100m+ with a player that current looks like he'll only be available for 60% of games in a light season.  On a heavy fixture season like Man City have that could be worse depending when the injury happens.  Risk profile from clubs on many factors may exclude Jack from being considered to be brought.  For a club like Villa who arent in Europe and generally arent great in cups, a 45 games season isnt a chance to over use a player in my opinion.

But arguably Citeh are the one club that could do this/have enough quality/rotation to rest someone like Jack regularly whilst still having paid £100m for him??

11 hours ago, nick76 said:

No I'm sure even that pressure would be a problem because it's consistent pressure.  When I had shin splints I needed complete rest, it wasnt play a bit each week, it was either play or rest

He has said specifically (and again tonight) that it’s not shin splints - of course you may still be right it needs more rest.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Are you basing this on YouTube videos when he was linked last season or watched diligently some games for Werder last season?

A combination of Youtube videos, Werder highlights, commentary and his stats.  I can't claim to diligently watch the Budesliga - I suspect I wouldn't be married any more if I did.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'll keep posting it. Nakamba played 6 full games. We won 5 drew 1 including wins over Arsenal Leeds Spurs Chelsea 

The reason he didn't play more I'm convinced is Smith doesn't want to play out and out DCM unless vs certain opponents, injuries etc. 

We have Sanson McGinn Luiz (plus Ramsey and possibly Carney etc) for double pivot or will sign more attacking player for more middle 3 in 433 formation (Buendia has played that role for Norwich) 

Nothing wrong with Nakamba as squad player for everything I've stated above and don't think we're in for DCM.

No, the coaching don’t trust him is a more likely theory.

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not going to spend 150m on half a new team. We're not signing majority of rumoured players mentioned so far "or what you consider better players". The club isn't run to appease Grealish and he's not going anywhere soon. You need to calm down and trust the process

I never said we're going to spend 150 mill on half a new team, I said on two to three players.

The club has to start putting a better calibre player around Grealish. For one Grealish doesn't want to keep doing the job of two to three players and nor should he now. The Owners or the club will want to move forward and with that in mind will also want to or should I say will have to bring in players who can hold there own so Grealish doesn't have to feel he's baby sitting on the field. The club simply has to start spending 40 mill and up on players now and build round Grealish. It's not to appease Grealish it's to do the obvious which is to put players who are clearly are at Grealish level or better around him. If we don't we don't move on and bringing much better than what the media is floating around then 11th is going to be a dream next season and we could possibly see a season than the one just gone where 11th place just won't happen..

I do trust the process and I am calm (nice to know you can feel how I am on the other side of your screen). I trust the process and that is why I don't think any of those players being shouted around by the media we will be bringing in. We will bring in completely different signings i think.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

He has said specifically (and again tonight) that it’s not shin splints - of course you may still be right it needs more rest.

Might be something similar. Stress fracture, compartment syndrome.

I will be glad when the euros are over and he can have a proper rest and rehab.

13 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I am not sure whether a limited spend is what you want or what you believe will be the case?

As I said, you may well be right, but NSWE have spent nearly £250m over the last two years, including £80-90m last window which was in the middle of a COVID impacted period. 

As mentioned previously, don't think of it as spend, its an investment on assets and a club that is now worth more.

The sale of Grealish, mcginn, Watkins mings and Konsa would cover their outlay, whilst the clubs value will have increased 4x due to sustained PL status. 

Only Kallinic and Sammatta would lose money should they be sold tomorrow. 

If NSWE were to walk away tomorrow they will have MADE money. 

Edited by pas5898
  • Like 4