Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, TRO said:

not necessarily, but they need to be physically adept, yes......There have been some great big ones and some great smaller ones, but they all have the same objective, "stop the opposition"

but you have to search for them.....If we are not looking in the first place, that could be a difficulty, to finding one.....I am not sure if we are.

Every good side has one they make it their business to.....Pep decided to rest his to his detriment and look what happened in his biggest game.

If you look through, the top leagues, most clubs have them in varying forms ....Makalele, Pirlo, Viera, Keane and Busquests are amongst the best we have seen, but they are only mentioned on here for description purposes.....there are many lesser versions that would most certainly improve us...Like Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice ,Soucek, Bissouma or Ndidi.....those clubs have them, because they value them and value that position.

I could romance all day about a Trequartista or a Mezzala, but someone has to give them the ball, it has to be won, or picked up...... all those positions have their levels of importance.....I just think, in the main the holding midfielder, is judged with a jaundiced view, in comparison to the others....I think they are crucial to the control of the game.

Deffo key position, every great side has had a very very good one.

If we're not spending there it's because we think we either have one or two with the potential or that we have it covered with what we've got. I don't think we've got a great one yet, but possibly Luiz or Nakamba can be that player in the near future. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Deffo key position, every great side has had a very very good one.

If we're not spending there it's because we think we either have one or two with the potential or that we have it covered with what we've got. I don't think we've got a great one yet, but possibly Luiz or Nakamba can be that player in the near future. 

I would love that to be true.....but I don't see it, sorry.

Every great side has had one, because its such a crucial role......second best or playing attacking minded players there, is not the answer.

I like Nakamba, but he hasn't got the guile to be that conductor in the middle, Luiz has the guile, be he isn't the natural ball winner to go with it...in fact he has had a poor season and VT Motm ratings support that.

Hence my reference to that position.

I think amongst many things the Euro cup final showed exactly what we are discussing.....if you winn the ball too far downfield, the attacks have to far to run forward and fizzle out, conversely winning the ball high, i.e in the centre circle, springs that element of surprise and the attack has less distance to travel.....That's why a good Regista is crucial, to controlling a game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Press reckon Sterling is heading out of Man CIty, where will he go? Whilst we unlikely have the clout to land him at the moment, he would offer a might solution to our forward quandry😜

Inter Milan or somewhere like that. He’s not worth what they/he’d want. 

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Press reckon Sterling is heading out of Man CIty, where will he go? Whilst we unlikely have the clout to land him at the moment, he would offer a might solution to our forward quandry😜

No chance, he can't move, he's on ridiculous wages, where could he go?

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Not a likeable fellow is he?

OK he's just lost a final but seriously get a personality.

Come on the guys just lost a final hardly gonna be like  Bruce Forsyth and say good game good game is he? 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Indigo said:

But better ones are capable of more and that is literally the point people are making. To say people "don't understand" the role because they reckon there are players out there who perform defensive duties equally as well as Marvelous while also being more capable on the ball is just wrong like. As is demonstrated by the stats you ignored.

I don't see any defensive stays presented for DMs only passing stats.

Would people want a dm who has great passing range but whose tackling was worse?  We already have one - his name is Doug Luiz.

Also find it odd that you'd use data from the top 5 leagues as a point of comparison when dms in most leagues don't need to be anywhere near as aggressive as they do in the Prem.

I understand the desire to have a dcm who can tackle and pass, but we are a LONG way from being good enough to attract one

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

PSG looking at Hakimi for €80M, Martinez supposed to be available too. 

I signed him for us on FIFA, we won the League and Champions League.

Started moaning because I was starting Haaland ahead of him though 😂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He looks really happy where he is to me

Yeah because judging a player being upset giving an interview 5 minutes after losing a major trophy is really fair. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sterling has two years left on a £200k a week contract and was looking for £320k a week from them.

I reckon City might be looking at this season's Raheem Sterling and thinking nah.

21 million quid. I can see them loaning him out abroad as his contributions have dropped massively and paying that sort of money for a squad player is nuts

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

If that's true, I imagine it'll be Grealish, Watkins and Buendia to be our attacking trio.  Sanson, McGinn and Luiz behind.  Wesley/Davis, Traore, El Ghazi, Ramsey, Chukwuemeka and Nakamba as backup for those places.  Seems alright for depth to me - certainly stacked at the top end of the pitch, though obviously need Grealish fit for the majority of the season.

We do need a new LB though and I'd like to see a central defender added as well.

I think Buendia or Grealish will be an attacking central player. 

I think we wanted that player in Barkley and will look to play the same way next season. 

10 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

I don't see any defensive stays presented for DMs only passing stats.

Would people want a dm who has great passing range but whose tackling was worse?  We already have one - his name is Doug Luiz.

Also find it odd that you'd use data from the top 5 leagues as a point of comparison when dms in most leagues don't need to be anywhere near as aggressive as they do in the Prem.

I understand the desire to have a dcm who can tackle and pass, but we are a LONG way from being good enough to attract one

I only cropped the section for passing as that's what was being discussed and thus the only relevant metric to present. I didn't specifically select the top 5 leagues, that's just the sample size the site uses which is handy as it provides such a wide range of comparison (and for what it's worth allows you to learn that Ligue 1 has as many if not more "aggressive" players than the Premier League in terms of pressures, tackles etc).  Was only providing context for why folk cite Nakamba's distribution as being a weakness of his anyway, as I said subsequently I'd obviously love a player who was an expert in both aspects - as we all would - as that would represent a massive upgrade but I don't anticipate it happening.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I signed him for us on FIFA, we won the League and Champions League.

Started moaning because I was starting Haaland ahead of him though 😂

I guess if Deano leaves, you’re in. 

• Haha 3