Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Rashica as a signing last year was exciting because he was heavily linked with Leipzig And his numbers were so good. I doubt many of us had watched him loads. It would've been a big coup signing as we'd been so close to relegation.

Signing a poorly motivated winger from relegated a Bundesliga side with average stats, when we were looking at European places a couple months ago doesn't sound quite as enticing, atleast for me as I've never seen the guy play

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

That fact that DS said he's excited about the irons they've got in the fire

So - that's Ogbonna to shore up the defense & Soucek for MF ?

• Like 1

The people accusing others of obsessing over Rashica (no one is really, just having a laugh and not madly fussed either way), themselves appear to be obsessed with us NOT signing him…

seems a bit hypocritical…

If we can get a good player (and a different option in the squad) for a good deal (value), I don’t see the reason for uproar or being adamant against it.

The squad is light and lacking in quality in several areas. E.g. It’s not hard to upgrade on the likes of Trez, for all his determination and workrate he’s not a top quality PL player. If we can get a good value deal for a superior & more effective or dangerous player then great!

And this nonsensical and petty grudge or notion over a made up rumour that he apparently rejected us (no evidence or proof of that at all) is frankly quite ridiculous and childish. And so what if he did? Can you really blame a player for not wanting to uproot himself and his family for a move abroad for a relegation fight and uncertain future?

The seemingly more accurate interpretation of events that has been suggested is that Bremen messed around and dilly dallied on a deal resulting in upsetting the player… and he subsequently suffered an injury that also negatively affected him on top of that. Not an ideal situation for the lad…

I don’t claim to know anything myself on the matter…

Regardless of all that, I would prefer us to target & sign players that want to achieve things and better themselves rather than those content with lesser things and focused on purely the financial gains…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The stats show Tammy to be a fantastic player... so I should want want him... He seems to be a steady character so I should like him... But I just don’t and cannot. Wasn’t his biggest fan in the championship which sounds stupid given his 26 goal return .. I just don’t think he is actually that good a player and said it before we don’t need another £30mill plus English Striker 

Boubacar Kamara from Marseille has been touted by some as a possible target but I prefer his parter Duje Caleta-Car whose being linked with West Ham for around €17mill.

Buendia £34mill (plus £9mill at a guess) Olise £8/9mill. Rashica £14mill. Caleta-Car £14mill and say Ait-Nouri £13mill is around £85mill and fills all gaps offering further tactical flexibility.

We could switch to 3 at the back, Rashica covers LW/WF/ST. Olise & Buendia central and flanks. I think if Luiz stays and Sanson settling in, then CM is as is come start of the season. Which Is could be a smart move. As if we continue upward trajectory then we will be should be able to sign a higher calibre player going into WC year hopefully as it’s not pressing position this summer. That said I’d happily sign a sander berge 

Edited by thabucks

16 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The stats show Tammy to be a fantastic player... so I should want want him... He seems to be a steady character so I should like him... But I just don’t and cannot. 

Mate, sounds like this is nothing to do with Tammy but a deeper issue within yourself.  I think you need therapy to find the real issue.

😂🤪😂

We can then discuss about Tammy later

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think the point @Kiwivillan is making is that we won't be spending big money to sign essentially a 'back up' striker as - 

A) it's expensive and we need to strengthen elsewhere first.

b) no one is going to want to sit on our bench if we spend lots on the likes of Tammy Abraham or equivalent.

Personally I think a loan for a Mcgoldrick type signing would be a decent short term back up. My neighbour Kemar Roofe (his mum and baby's mother live on my street) again as a short term back up might be useful. I've mentioned these two as they are good at pressing from the front. I'm sure there's others out there but can't think off the top of my head. On loan btw. Yes that's a loan not permanent. 

When we're in Europe that's when more expensive strikers as competition for Ollie would be more viable for us.

You may well be right.  It depends what kind of budget we have and none of us knows that.  Personally, I am also really not sure where FFP is at the minute.

If the owners wanted to spend big and really push on (taking advantage of the position with a number of clubs re COVID), they could definitely afford to buy Tammy.  Tammy would give us a different option - tall and rangy but still decent pace and plays more within the centre of the pitch compared to Ollie's more workman like-style with mobility and drifting wide - but both are good finishers.  How good would it be for us (and bad for opponents) to play Ollie for 60-65 and then see Tammy coming off the bench (or vice versa) or even to see the two playing together if we are chasing a game/playing 10 men/playing a different formation or to see Tammy playing if Ollie is injured or vice versa.

I am not saying that I would necessarily buy him and I would probably prefer Edouard at £20m but that is only because I would prioritise other positions BUT we may not have to.

It would be a real statement (as long as we also bought in four or five others in higher priority areas) if we had two top "9"s and would really help us challenge for Europe.

10 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Just to let you all know, my mate Wes Edens has been sent a letter from myself asking extremely nicely if he would purchase the companies behind the Birmingham Mail and Football Insider, pay off their staff and dissolve both establishments, effective immediately. 

I will keep you posted on his response. 

Good strategy ... but we'd have nothing left to read on Newsnow??🤔

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Feel the same and he has following red flags:

- was injured and missed large chunk of season. 

- poor returns and poor stats last season for shots and key passes. 

- Werder fans said he had heart set on Leipzig move then wasn't motivated after fell through. 

Yep, the obvious aside I buy a lot into the mentality of players so if that is the case I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. As fans we never know though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, thabucks said:

The stats show Tammy to be a fantastic player... so I should want want him... He seems to be a steady character so I should like him... But I just don’t and cannot. Wasn’t his biggest fan in the championship which sounds stupid given his 26 goal return .. I just don’t think he is actually that good a player and said it before we don’t need another £30mill plus English Striker 

I'd happily take him if the budget is there AFTER all the other pressing purchases are taken care of.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, allani said:

In terms of (b) I'm sorry but if we are to build on last season then there are two or three first teamers from this season who are going to have to sit on the bench for large parts of this season.  Personally, McGinn and Bertie would be the first two on my list (on the basis that AEG and Trez are not really "starters").  However, they should be being sold an "impact" role - coming on off the bench with 25-30 minutes to go.  30 minutes of McGinn in "whirlwind" mode would be excellent. 

I am with you on this, although I don't think its as black and white as you put it.  If Tammy wants to win things/challenge, he needs to come to a club where he will not necessarily be first choice because, if he was, then there is no back up/cover/rotation.

Its a fine line and he obviously wouldn't want to move to a club where he was in the same position as he is at Chelski, but he also shouldn't want to go to a club where he would be an automatic starter every game.  He was happy to go back to Chelski and fight for the "9" shirt and Villa would be the perfect club, imho, for him and Ollie to compete with each other for the same and spur each other on to better. 

If NWSE have real ambitions to compete then I would have thought two strong "9"s, along with good options across the pitch, would be a priority. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Everything is speculation until it isnt..can you see chelsea letting go a striker like tammy who is still in contract and now a verified CL winner for less?

He hasn't played for their first team for months.

They need the money to bid for Haaland or Lukaka supposedly so they'll take the highest offer I'd imagine.  It will probably come down to us, Wet Spam, Leicester or Everton (maybe Saints if Spurs sign Ings).  I don't think those clubs will drive the price up to £40m?

5 hours ago, sne said:

I mean our back 5 is pretty set as it is for next season and as much as some might want a dedicated DCM destroyer that's not likely to happen unless Luiz is sold which is also unlikely. So only natural that the current speculations are mostly about more attacking oriented players.

Why would you not buy a Bissouma type and move on Nakamba, who has done okay and should have value, pushing Luiz to bench/making him fight for a spot or playing him as an "8" if you want to progress??

25 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Why would you not buy a Bissouma type and move on Nakamba, who has done okay and should have value, pushing Luiz to bench/making him fight for a spot or playing him as an "8" if you want to progress??

Why not play Nakamba more if he played 6 full games and we won 5 and drew one. People keep going on about his poor distribution but it's 84% and he's dispossessed 0.2 times per game which is only bettered by Mings.

I think the answer is Smith doesn't want out and out DM but will play vs certain opponents like he did with Nakamba and it worked. 

Bissouma is 50 million Liverpool target to replace Wijnaldum if you believe transfer rumours 

• Like 2