Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, allani said:

The point is that I (and others) are not saying that we should sign a 'back up' striker.  We are saying that Ollie and Tammy could play in the same team WITHOUT us needing to play 4-4-2.  But I'm bored of trying to explain why and how I think that could work because it will just be ignored.

In terms of (b) I'm sorry but if we are to build on last season then there are two or three first teamers from this season who are going to have to sit on the bench for large parts of this season.  Personally, McGinn and Bertie would be the first two on my list (on the basis that AEG and Trez are not really "starters").  However, they should be being sold an "impact" role - coming on off the bench with 25-30 minutes to go.  30 minutes of McGinn in "whirlwind" mode would be excellent. 

Re A) what @Zatman said.

And as for 'b)' I was talking about the striker position. 

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Why would we move our best striker out of position to accomodate Tammy. It makes no sense

Why would Brentford move their best left winger into a centre forward role?  Why would we move our best left back into a holding midfield player?  I am not going to list all the players who have started at Villa in one position, moved and been just as good (or even better) in another.  I (and a couple of others) have explained multiple times how I / we think Tammy and Ollie could play in the same team and play to both of their strengths.  You don't agree fine.  Move on.

Edited by allani

25 minutes ago, allani said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57252066 

Sounds to me like Norwich are pretty resigned to selling their best players this season.  Not only are they expecting offers but this sounds like encouragement for clubs to make offers.  If they say it will take a bid starting with a 3 then with a bit of negotiation you'd hope that maybe you could get it done for an initial number starting with a 2 and some add-ons.

I know. It’s an interesting tactic from their Sporting Director. Maybe looking to drum up plenty of interest in a bid to push the price up. I do trust our senior management to get a deal that’s right for us. If it’s not we will walk away.

If we can get Buendia for £30m then we should get it done. That would represent real value in my view.

• Like 2

I wouldnt be surprised if we went for another young striker in a similar mould to Watkins. Smith has constantly referred to Ollie as a pressing striker - which neither Davis and Wesley are. So if we’re playing a pressing game it makes sense to have a back up pressing striker. If Watkins is out our pressing game is largely redundant unless El Ghazi or Traore play that role up front.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

I wouldnt be surprised if we went for another young striker in a similar mould to Watkins. Smith has constantly referred to Ollie as a pressing striker - which neither Davis and Wesley are. So if we’re playing a pressing game it makes sense to have a back up pressing striker. If Watkins is out our pressing game is largely redundant unless El Ghazi or Traore play that role up front.

I think this is exactly what we will do. Someone who can also play the wide forward role. Ollie will be our main man in the centre next season. I’m sure of it. The new player would likely get most of their minutes in the cup or at wide forward.

9 minutes ago, allani said:

Why would Brentford move their best left winger into a centre forward role?  Why would we move our best left back into a holding midfield player?  I am not going to list all the players who have started at Villa in one position, moved and been just as good (or even better) in another.  I (and a couple of others) have explained multiple times how I / we think Tammy and Ollie could play in the same team and play to both of their strengths.  You don't agree fine.  Move on.

He was moved into the centre because he wasnt that great out wide. Why would we play a guy who was an above average Championship winger on the wing in the Premier League when he had proven to be a very good Premier League striker 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, allani said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57252066 

Sounds to me like Norwich are pretty resigned to selling their best players this season.  Not only are they expecting offers but this sounds like encouragement for clubs to make offers.  If they say it will take a bid starting with a 3 then with a bit of negotiation you'd hope that maybe you could get it done for an initial number starting with a 2 and some add-ons.

Those quotes and the detail mentioned would almost suggest a deal has already been done for one of them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Mentioned him a day or so ago but I think Lukas Nmecha would be an interesting target. 1 year left on his contract with City and supposedly available for as little as £7m. While not identical in style from what I've seen and read I think they do have a couple of similar positive attributes.

Now watch him score a couple goals for the German U-21's tonight

14 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Those quotes and the detail mentioned would almost suggest a deal has already been done for one of them. 

I don't think so, it simply sounds like preparing the fans that there is serious interest in one or more of those players and they are willing to sell for sustainability reasons above X price.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

David came on a few times this season and did some good pressing, including making a goal against Fulham. I wouldn't say he's not capable in that regard. 

I have to say I've not seen a single thing from Loftus-Cheek during his whole career that suggests he's actually any good. I think his career is literally based on hype. We can do so much better.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

We also tried to sign Sanson last season.. didn't happen.

However, in January he was available for a cheaper price. So, should we send him back, based on your philosophy?

We have some real narrow minded, negative fans.

Mate its not negative, he is rubbish.  El Gazhi and Traore are both better than him.  When we survived by the skin of our teeth he was the sort of level we were at.  We are now credible top 6 contenders and need players to push us on, not relegated Bundesliga players with 3 goals last season.  Maybe people just don't follow much football outside of Villa but Milot Rashida is not on any decent teams transfer target list.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

We have the money, and neither want nor need bargains coming off a poor season.

Finding players that are quality but may have hit a bump in the road is part of the job that Lange and co. do. Of course they also have to identify the reasons for the bump and assess if we can smooth that out again to our advantage. 

I’m not saying we are going to buy or even should buy Rashica but the reasons I’ve heard on here to not buy him range from, the jilted lover, (he turned us down before), which isn’t true.  He’s crap, no evidence to suggest that and he had a poor season last year, see my reasoning above. 

£15m for a pacy striker with goals in him is peanuts in today’s market. Good value is good value no matter how much money we’ve  got. FFP means compared with many clubs we are still playing catch-up in what we can spend. We’ve chucked away millions over the years by not being savy. Whilst we can show some financial muscle let’s be clever too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dale said:

If Utd are offloading James/van der Beek I'd be very happy to go that way... 

why? He’s done nothing noteworthy since Dawson’s Creek. I know people want experience but this is a stretch too far.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

why? He’s done nothing noteworthy since Dawson’s Creek. I know people want experience but this is a stretch too far.

Yeah. Not Pacey enough either, for me.

Joshua Jackson Sunglasses GIF

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1