Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

7 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

What do KDB, Mo Salah, and Lukaku have in common?  I'd go for Tammy and Hudson Odoi. 

Maybe we should go for Drinkwater and Barkley too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just skimmed through the last several pages on my morning browse. Saw a bunch of GIFS and the name Zaha roughly 400 times. Did I miss anything of interest?

Just now, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

this means nothing to me FWIW.  Might be the truth but they aren’t going to come out and say they have a 100-125m budget, would just hurt them in negotiations.

• Like 3

Nothing against him but Ashley Preece doesn't have an inside knowledge, he basically just guesses and states what seems the most likely, also what he says is quite contradictory, because on  the one hand he says we won't be spending like we did last summer, but then on the other says we want to be clever like we were last summer with the signings of Cash, Watkins, Martinez and Traore.

• Like 1

Yeah, once again nothing to read into. Not sure of many clubs that actively plan to go "berserk" and don't put an emphasis on scouting, and then rounds it off with a "we'll see" about a player being quoted at £35-40 million anyway.

• VT Supporter

I don't think we need a lot. One attacking midfield creator, one backup striker, one to two backup full-backs, and that should do it. Shouldn't need to spend £100m on that.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Nothing against him but Ashley Preece doesn't have an inside knowledge, he basically just guesses and states what seems the most likely, also what he says is quite contradictory, because on  the one hand he says we won't be spending like we did last summer, but then on the other says we want to be clever like we were last summer with the signings of Cash, Watkins, Martinez and Traore.

He also stated previously how excited he is about this summer, which was based on Deano saying he'd be excited about the summer if he was a Villa fan. Essentially, he amplifies what the club says. Which I guess is his job.

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think we need a lot. One attacking midfield creator, one backup striker, one to two backup full-backs, and that should do it. Shouldn't need to spend £100m on that.

Would rather spend on real quality to push even further rather than backup players , when do you see Man City or Chelsea signing “backup” players , sign players to compete for the spot.

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 2

• VT Supporter
1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Aaron Hickey has been mentioned a few times… not settled at Bologna?

A young, exciting LB prospect would be a good move. Someone who could eventually succeed Targett.

That sort of thing, but I was thinking specifically of someone who could play both sides a la Justin.

If both Elmo and Taylor leave, then we are unlikely to go into the season with Kesler and Revan as backups, so we would need to sign either one player who could play both positions or two players, one for each*. It seems better to me to have three first team full backs and two promising youths, rather than four first team full backs and two promising youths, because you want to give the youths a slightly higher chance of a route to the team, and because it frees up a squad position for another role (and is less on the wage bill).

However, maybe such a player doesn't exist.

*I realise people are going to respond with 'we don't need a cover right back, we have Guilbert' which I think is just wrong (because I think he's rubbish) but I guess time will tell.

• VT Supporter
5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Would rather spend on real quality to push even further rather than backup players , when do you see Man City or Chelsea signing “backup” players , sign players to compete for the spot.

The term may not be the best; in particular, I'd like the striker to be good enough that switching to two up top is a real option that Smith would consider from time to time.

But rightly or wrongly I don't think we're going to be buying players with the expectation that Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, McGinn, Grealish or Watkins will drop out of the side.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Then you are crazy. Going to struggle to compete for top 4 with just that outlay. 

• Like 1

• VT Supporter
10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Precisely......There are no such thing as "Back Up" players.....They are players who have not quite made the first team, but are in reserve.

Every player targetted, should in theory be for the first team, back ups are the slippage from the first team.

• Thanks 1

• VT Supporter
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Despite having a most encouraging season.....we give the ball away too much, to have any lofty aspirations, just yet..... we need players to help us with that.

How, Many, How Much, is anyones shout....but it needs addressing....I don't want to labour the point, but it can't be ignored.

Edited by TRO

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â