Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

If Tammy is gettable I’d take him and switch Ollie to wide and Jack to the number 10 role - meaning we would also have cover for those positions if needed - Tammy will score goals 

I posted something similar the other other day

Abraham

Traore       grealsish      Watkins

The only problem is we would need two really good centre midfielders...mobile...disciplined...good in attack and also defense to balance the team.

Do we have them?

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Yawn - why? He hasn’t done enough in the Prem in a better Chelsea team to be worth the fee they’ll demand and expect. Misplaced false nostalgia IMO, better value and players available. Thanks no thanks 

21 league goals in 54 games with only 37 being starts. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, striker said:

Like the look of Fulham’s Maja. If they go down maybe Villa could nab him on loan with a view to buy? 

Fulham have option to buy him from Bordeaux, no idea if that is still on if they are relegated. If not then maybe Bordeaux might be willing to sell to another club like us. Bet they need money like most French clubs.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

21 league goals in 54 games with only 37 being starts. 

My bad ... Should check my stats before posting as that’s a better record than I thought ... Still don’t think we should sign him though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

There is a massive difference between signing players who are willing to fight for a place and players who are happy to sit on the bench. 

We have to give the manager players and options who he feels he can use without weakening the team much. Having more quality in positions also means we can try and use different formations like 2 up front or 3 CB's if the manager sees fit.

Some seem terrified of having competition for places and it's been so for ages which I guess is down to us having been mostly crap for so long that people have forgotten that that is how it should be. It's the manager and coaches job to manage the squad, so what if some players are unhappy that they are not playing as much as they feel they should. Bo-hoo try finding a successful big club to play for where there isn't competition for places.

We have rich and ambitious owners, I'm hoping we have ambitious players continue to sign that type of players who will not be content to sit on the bench but rather want to fight for their place and who will be disappointed when they don't play.

Obviously we should stay clear of the diva type players who will throw a tantrum every time they are subbed or doesn't start and this is down to our recruitment team to make sure they find the right character players. Not just ones who can kick a ball.

I agree. For me it's about what you get for your money. So Tammy would strengthen the squad and improve competition, but he certainly wouldn't walk into our first team. So at 40m he he simply wouldn't be realistic as we aren't at the level where we can spend that amount on a player that would only improve the squad. However 20m makes sense. 

40m has to be we expect this player to improve our first team. Tammy isn't that guy. I'd pick Watkins ahead of Tammy all day long. They wouldn't be a good partnership as a 2 upto front either as they make similar runs and take up similar positions. Watkins isn't better than our other wingers as a winger and moving him would hurt his performances imo.

• Like 3

I think our priority should be strengthening our depth in the defensive area of the park.  LB, RB, one CB.  Replacing Taylor elmo and Engels.

I think we are fine in the middle of the park with Luiz, McGinn, Samson, Nakamba, Ramsey all offering something different, and Jack can cover there as well... plus with carney on the way. 

I think we splurge again up top, and based on how Dean has us set up I see it being a hybrid forward type, similar to Ollie and Bert... one that can interchange between the front three positions.

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

In theory that's right but then are we currently a team that can keep players happy with that? 

Quality players won't join us to rotate and challenge for places. I think we are a few successful seasons from being able to have that level of depth in numerous positions. 

I think we’re moving towards that point. Players are more accepting of squad rotation than they used to be. On MOTD last night they were saying that Man City change about 5 players per game! Ok we’re nowhere near their level but that’s the direction football is going. Managers of “big” clubs gripe about number of games played, so players need to get used to not playing every game, although most of them want to. 

The more we progress the more attractive we become to players. Top players will probably, injuries aside, play in 80% of games. The question will become do you want to play 80% of the season for an exciting, progressive club that’s on the up, or play 100% of games for a mid table club. The ambitious one will chose the former and have to accept they’ll play a few less games. If they’re that good their options will be plentiful but will almost certainly have a similar approach to squad rotation. 

Also if we get into Europe and have a decent run, coupled with progress in the domestic cups, 80% of potentially upwards of 50 games would be more than we’re going to play this season anyway. We need a better quality squad overall, not a two tier squad that virtually picks itself and the rest of them just there for injury cover. I agree it will take time but we’re already at least one season ahead of where I believe the board thought we’d be at this point. 

• Like 1

Depending on where we finish, but i would like an out and out goal scorer, a la Ings. Jack , El Ghazi and Traore, along with Watkins give us good wide options, and then off course we have Wes to come back.

I would definitely sign Bissouma from Brighton, again you then have Marvellous, SJM, Luiz, Sansom and Ramsey to play alongside.

A bit more quality 

3 hours ago, thejoker said:

This is the first time in 4 years that we already know (in February) which division we’ll be playing in next season. The extra 3 months planning that we’ll get should serve us well in the summer. 

That’s a good point, although they’ll still be developing two plans: one for if we achieve a European place, the other not.

• Like 2

Giorgis Giakoumakis has 26 goals in 25 games for a relegation threatened team in Netherlands, has hit 4 twice since the New Year. Maybe if we are looking for a backup to Ollie we could look at somebody like this guy

Not sure why people are clamoring for Tammy when Wesley is weeks away from returning. Wesley would in theory accept being second choice, doubtful that Tammy would accept having to fight for his place at Villa. He wants to be an automatic starter. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sne said:

Football Manager 20 favorite Myron Boadu seem to have hit form for AZ after a uneven start to the season

If we go for anyone from AZ surely it has to be Teun Koopmeiners ... 12 goals in 23 games ... Good alternative option to Berge ...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Come home Tammy!

10 hours ago, thabucks said:

Yawn - why? He hasn’t done enough in the Prem in a better Chelsea team to be worth the fee they’ll demand and expect. Misplaced false nostalgia IMO, better value and players available. Thanks no thanks 

10 hours ago, Eastie said:

If Tammy is gettable I’d take him and switch Ollie to wide and Jack to the number 10 role - meaning we would also have cover for those positions if needed - Tammy will score goals 

10 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Buying Tammy is a waste of 40 million. As no matter how you move people around to incorporate him the team doesn't look better. 40 million fees have to go on players that improve the first team not simply add depth or give us another option. Now if Tammy was going for 20 million and we had European football back at Villa Park then I'd be tempted.

9 hours ago, Jareth said:

I'd deffo be purchasing Tammy if the opportunity arose - young and tons of experience - no brainer. 

Wasn't even in the squad today.

Post match Tuchel was asked why, and basically said " We have 21 strong players and I can only choose 18, Tammy wasn't a part of the group "