Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

I agree but its easier upgrading a 5 to an 7 than a 7/8 to a 9

Upgrading to 9s is always going to be very difficult. We need to buy more 7/8’s that will challenge each other and have the potential to become 9s whilst moving on any 5-7s that are still in the squad.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Upgrading to 9s is always going to be very difficult. We need to buy more 7/8’s that will challenge each other and have the potential to become 9s whilst moving on any 5-7s that are still in the squad.

I agree with this, 9's don't want to move here unless they have some sort of baggage like age, failed move, injury history.

Classic examples of a player who will definitely give you a 7 is Arrons, he may give you 9's in the future but if you paid the apparent 30 million fee that would be the right back slot sown up for a decade between him and Cash for example.

Be interesting to see what we do in the summer. 

I can't see us buying any defensive player to come in and replace the current back 4. 

We mainly need stronger back up players and some depth. 

I'd be inclined to spend big money on a top class winger and move Jack in the middle. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

If Tammy is gettable I’d take him and switch Ollie to wide and Jack to the number 10 role - meaning we would also have cover for those positions if needed - Tammy will score goals 

Buying Tammy is a waste of 40 million. As no matter how you move people around to incorporate him the team doesn't look better. 40 million fees have to go on players that improve the first team not simply add depth or give us another option. Now if Tammy was going for 20 million and we had European football back at Villa Park then I'd be tempted.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Be interesting to see what we do in the summer. 

I can't see us buying any defensive player to come in and replace the current back 4. 

We mainly need stronger back up players and some depth. 

I'd be inclined to spend big money on a top class winger and move Jack in the middle. 

Matt Cash injury has exposed our depth. Elmo did well yesterday but he’s in his final season. A similar injury to Matt Target and we’d be really struggling. 

I don’t generally subscribe to the back up player recruitment theory. We should be looking for players who are at least as good or better than we already have.

I accept that may be difficult or in Jack’s case virtually impossible but it should still be an aim. That will probably be achieved through development of our young players and intelligent recruitment of potential. Perhaps with the odd “big” signing thrown in as our own profile grows. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Matt Cash injury has exposed our depth. Elmo did well yesterday but he’s in his final season. A similar injury to Matt Target and we’d be really struggling. 

I don’t generally subscribe to the back up player recruitment theory. We should be looking for players who are at least as good or better than we already have.

I accept that may be difficult or in Jack’s case virtually impossible but it should still be an aim. That will probably be achieved through development of our young players and intelligent recruitment of potential. Perhaps with the odd “big” signing thrown in as our own profile grows. 

In theory that's right but then are we currently a team that can keep players happy with that? 

Quality players won't join us to rotate and challenge for places. I think we are a few successful seasons from being able to have that level of depth in numerous positions. 

There is a massive difference between signing players who are willing to fight for a place and players who are happy to sit on the bench. 

We have to give the manager players and options who he feels he can use without weakening the team much. Having more quality in positions also means we can try and use different formations like 2 up front or 3 CB's if the manager sees fit.

Some seem terrified of having competition for places and it's been so for ages which I guess is down to us having been mostly crap for so long that people have forgotten that that is how it should be. It's the manager and coaches job to manage the squad, so what if some players are unhappy that they are not playing as much as they feel they should. Bo-hoo try finding a successful big club to play for where there isn't competition for places.

We have rich and ambitious owners, I'm hoping we have ambitious players continue to sign that type of players who will not be content to sit on the bench but rather want to fight for their place and who will be disappointed when they don't play.

Obviously we should stay clear of the diva type players who will throw a tantrum every time they are subbed or doesn't start and this is down to our recruitment team to make sure they find the right character players. Not just ones who can kick a ball.

We were linked to Thauvin from Marseille last summer. He's left footed but plays on the right from the videos i've seen. He could be an option - out of contract end of season but he is 28, so maybe a bit old?

As for Axel, as much as i like him, he's too injury prone. 

9 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

Come home Tammy!

If we were to manage a top 6 finish I think there is every chance we could see us reignite our interest in Tammy.

Worth every penny.

European football combined with league and other cup competitions makes for a very long season and we are going to need two quality strikers to cope with that schedule.

I think it would be a very sensible move providing the fee was right.

10 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

I agree but its easier upgrading a 5 to an 7 than a 7/8 to a 9

Perhaps or perhaps not. I think we will find it a hell of a lot easier this summer to attract players than in the past. I also think we will have a lot more money to spend than most.

It will be a buyers market this summer.

19 minutes ago, sne said:

There is a massive difference between signing players who are willing to fight for a place and players who are happy to sit on the bench. 

We have to give the manager players and options who he feels he can use without weakening the team much. Having more quality in positions also means we can try and use different formations like 2 up front or 3 CB's if the manager sees fit.

Some seem terrified of having competition for places and it's been so for ages which I guess is down to us having been mostly crap for so long that people have forgotten that that is how it should be. It's the manager and coaches job to manage the squad, so what if some players are unhappy that they are not playing as much as they feel they should. Bo-hoo try finding a successful big club to play for where there isn't competition for places.

We have rich and ambitious owners, I'm hoping we have ambitious players continue to sign that type of players who will not be content to sit on the bench but rather want to fight for their place and who will be disappointed when they don't play.

Obviously we should stay clear of the diva type players who will throw a tantrum every time they are subbed or doesn't start and this is down to our recruitment team to make sure they find the right character players. Not just ones who can kick a ball.

I agree, but will those players choose to come to a team like ours over other top 6/7 clubs. 

I think that's going to be the difficulty.