Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'll never understand how people can form an opinion on a player, simply based on team results which depend on a first team off 11 players and squad of 25 other players?

Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Luiz and Grealish play for a team which survived relegation by 1 point.

Buendia plays for " relegated " Norwich.

Sam Johnstone plays for a relegated team.

What are your thoughts on the above players, for example?

I literally said I didn’t have an opinion on him and of course good players can play for relegated teams. I was just making the point that someone who had been CDM for two pretty “soft” teams that both got relegated isn’t ideal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He'll be available for 20m so he's more of reasonably cheaper wide player who still has huge potential compared to say having to spend 30-40m on McNeil who I don't believe is that much better. I think at 20m it would be silly to pass up on Lookman as it's not that much these days for a top half prem team.

But what’s the point if he isn’t  better than what we have have - has had two bad moves and a patchy season with a relegated team . I Just think that for £20mill there are better players a and prospects available.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He'll be available for 20m so he's more of reasonably cheaper wide player who still has huge potential compared to say having to spend 30-40m on McNeil who I don't believe is that much better. I think at 20m it would be silly to pass up on Lookman as it's not that much these days for a top half prem team.

He's certainly faster at doing what he does than our Wingers. He can turn many on his best day.

I would much prefer for us to go after much betterz for us to go get on the same list as the 6 greedy shits. Bring a couple players in like other clubs above us did at high price. Then over the seasons other signings would want to join if it goes well but we wouldn't have to overly pay like we would in the beggining because we would have Grealish and two or three other big named stars. It's the money that talks and our Owners are going to have to do it at some point if they want to knock one of these 6 greedy clubs off that so called top 6 list and replace them. If we're to be competitive then we have to go out and spend a couple hundred mill a season. I do think our Owners are preparing for that type of splash cash and if they want to get a better season out of this team than this season, then they are going to have to fetch 150 mills out at least for Lange, Smith and Purslow to play about with.

Surely the Owners are going to want to break the record signing fee this season, you'd think they would because it gets everyone talking and reporting for a while all while it makes a statement. If so then we could be looking at our first 40 mill and upwards player this summer, hopefully at least three signings of over the 40 mill mark would be fantastic.

Edited by Dave-R

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

He's certainly faster at doing what he does than our Wingers. He can turn many on his best day.

I would much prefer for us to go after much betterz for us to go get on the same list as the 6 greedy shits. Bring a couple players in like other clubs above us did at high price. Then over the seasons other signings would want to join if it goes well but we wouldn't have to overly pay like we would in the beggining because we would have Grealish and two or three other big named stars. It's the money that talks and our Owners are going to have to do it at some point if they want to knock one of these 6 greedy clubs off that so called top 6 list and replace them. If we're to be competitive then we have to go out and spend a couple hundred mill a season. I do think our Owners are preparing for that type of splash cash and if they want to get a better season out of this team than this season, then they are going to have to fetch 150 mills out at least for Lange, Smith and Purslow to play about with.

Surely the Owners are going to want to break the record signing fee this season, you'd think they would because it gets everyone talking and reporting for a while all while it makes a statement. If so then we could be looking at our first 40 mill and upwards player this summer, hopefully at least three signings of over the 40 mill mark would be fantastic.

FFP.

The top 6 can spend roughly £300-400m a season on wages and transfer fees.

Villa can spend roughly £150m per season on wages and transfer fees.

We are still well behind spending what Leicester, West Ham & Everton can spend each season.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ender4 said:

FFP.

The top 6 can spend roughly £300-400m a season on wages and transfer fees.

Villa can spend roughly £150m per season on wages and transfer fees.

We are still well behind spending what Leicester, West Ham & Everton can spend each season.

What about if we sell about 30-40m worth with wages added on, does that shift it up to 200m limit or is it fixed just on spending amount on FFP?

That's something we've never really done, move squad players when the time is right for decent fees to keep the squad fresh. It's usually selling a key first team player and then wasting that money on replacements.

Obviously not expecting us to sell a reserve to Bournemouth or Sheffield United for 20m like teams like Liverpool and Chelsea can do but you'd like to think given we've got some decent young players on the fringes now it's time to move likes of Hourihane, Gulibert, Nakamba, Engels all on rather than just have them warm the bench for another season and lose further value. That lot probably brings in just over 15m. Selling boderline first team player like El Ghazi brings in another 15m so something for Lange and DS to decide when they sit down after the final game.

I don't know though whether this years sales get include in the accounts we submit for FFP this season or next.

• Like 1

Anguissa is the only Fulham player I'd be particularly happy to see us sign, personally. In the limited times I've watched them this season he's the one player that looks like he could comfortably operate at the level we're pushing for, as well as having done the business for a top 6 side in Spain last season.

You'd imagine that if a signing such as him or similar were to happen it'd have to be facilitated by some outgoings in that area of the pitch given the numbers in that 6/8 position. 

• Like 2

We need the same kind of signings again, in terms of just how much they were an upgrade on the previous player to have played in their position -

From                            To

Nyland.              -        Martinez (wowzers!)

Guilbert/Elmo.    -      Cash

Samatta.           -         Watkins

I’d even put:

El Ghazi/Trez    -     Traore (I rate him, think he will get even better and he is far superior to them pair!)

Also, Barkley at the start of the season and pre-covid was a big improvement on Hourihane. He also won us the game against Leicester with a superb strike.

Hopefully Sanson can do similarly next season.

So, some of the names that have been mentioned/linked just wouldn’t cut it imo. Certain players could be bought for more modest fees with an eye on the future or to help fill out the squad and provide alternative options (always good to have some exciting youngsters in the squad, like the sound of Olise) but I’d prefer it we primarily were able to relegate some of our starting players to the bench and make them the backups/reserves.

If we manage to do this, I see no reason why we can’t be competing for top 6 or higher consistently throughout the season.

Would be amazing.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

Now it looks like Taylor is off with his contract expiring (thanks and best of luck!) I am excited to see who we bring in at left back to challenge Targett.

I honestly think Freddie is fine to challenge Cash. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Awol said:

For context the same site’s algorithm rates our midfield as: 

McGinn - 80

Luiz - 75

Sanson - 72

Ghazi - 81

Traore - 76

Jack - 91

Nakamba - 68

So he’s an upgrade on what we have in a DM role, statistically speaking. 

Thanks for that, I won't be using that site (not that I have before)

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I just don't think he's 20m better potentially than Lookman. I mean signing him on his own wouldn't just make us top 6 guarenteed would it? I want that feeling from one of the attacking signings we make this summer, just as we signed Carew in January 2007 and then finished 6th 18 months later. Young also massively helped in that but he was more of an unknown quantity at prem level.

That's what we need to do this summer anyway.

A signing of excessive quality is how I term it, we have one in Jack we need to sign another.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Now it looks like Taylor is off with his contract expiring (thanks and best of luck!) I am excited to see who we bring in at left back to challenge Targett.

I honestly think Freddie is fine to challenge Cash. 

The need is far more pressing elsewhere, I would also just have Freddy back as the other option to Cash.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Really annoys me that the women's side of AVFC show up in my newsnow feed. It really should be marked as women's footy or something.

I don't have any problems with women playing football fwiw. It just doesn't interest me.

Karen GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

No way Luiz is better than McGinn

Oh yes he is!  (Is it panto season yet?)  I think McGinn has also reached his ceiling.  I'd be very happy if Man City bought McGinn rather than taking Luiz back. But they won't.  Still think that with a decent partner Luiz will come good.  At the moment he is having to cover McGinn too much both when we have the ball and when we don't.  Still a decent option on the bench but if we want to seriously challenge the European places then McGinn can't be playing every minute of every game (regardless of how badly he is playing).

• Like 2

Can we all agree that McGinn and Luiz are both very very good players on their day but struggle to maintain that form over a full season. Both of them have showed that clearly over the last two seasons. 

More strength in depth will help that. Sanson is (hopefully) a part of that, an upgrade for Nakamba would hopefully be the other part. 

• Like 2