Jump to content

Summer transfer window 2021


zab6359
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Might the lack of a big money DM signing mean that we see Raikhy as the long term answer there? He might be ready to start games next season.

Would be quite the development since we sent him on loan to Conference league Stockport County this season. The difference in quality must be staggering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
4 minutes ago, striker said:

I actually think Villa were two signings away (midfielders) from challenging for Europe this season. Would it not have been worth it to invest heavily now and bed those two new midfielders in over the course of the season than wait until January or next season? By not investing now you are running the risk of losing out to the top four when those players (Kamara) are out of contract or in the case of Bissouma only one year left on his contract next season.

I honestly feel Villa although signing some very good players this window to replace Grealish still have not addressed their major weakness in midfield. You have numbers there but those aforementioned signings above would have improved Villa’s midfield dramatically while also allowing the younger players coming through more time to bed in. 
 

Furthermore, in my humble opinion, by letting Guilbert go on loan, fullback positions have also been weakened. Yes you have Young, but are Villa really going to rely on a 36 year old throughout a season for cover especially when Target’s lack of pace was shown again against Watford and Cash’s performances haven’t been exactly great at the start of this season. I also don’t think anyone wants to see CBs playing at FB anymore.

I was one of those ardent critics when Grealish left. But who can blame him now for leaving when Villa still have two major weaknesses in their team unaddressed after having net expenditure in the transfer window?

Maybe Terry left for the same reason knowing the owner’s ambitions would yet again fall short of what was promised?

I agree that selling Freddie has weakened us. I would have preferred to keep him.

As for adding 2 new midfield starters, that would give us 2 plus Emi, Bailey and Ings as new starters. That can take time to integrate and get right. We really struggled in our first promotion season when we added too many new players. Also, bringing in 2 new MF would put a halt to our development of the youth players. They would be back in the u23s or off on loan. This would be contrary to what NSWE & CP have said they are going to do

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really hope Luiz has a super season and we then compliment him next Summer with a player to play alongside him.

People forget that Luiz is only 23. Grealish didn't really kick on until he got to that age and I don't think Dougie will be any different. He has shown quality in bursts and it is now about greater consistency and taking on more responsibility. I think he will have a good season and we will see more of his post lockdown form going forward. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

thats interesting and all, but we really need to look at it over 3 years, rather than 1.

even with this summer included, we are still the 4th biggest spenders.

I really wanted us to sign a DM, however i can see why we decided to not go mad this summer, also, unless im wrong, when we get to next summer we will be able to spend knowing the 19/20 spend of 140m will come off the books soon, so we will then only have a net spend of roughly 75m over the two prior seasons of 19/20 and 20/21 (excluding next summers spend), rather than the 210m ish currently showing.

Unless im wrong, that means next summer we might be able to have a huge war chest.

@Czarnikjak thoughts?

 

Table - 19/20, 20/21, 21/22 net spend (ie: 3 yr FFP spend as of now)

image.png.bd824b43136fd6bbc230f73a92f331ae.png

Very good point.

I didn't realise Sheffield United had wasted so much cash. They could be in a little trouble financially

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


So it's all done!   

The club trying to sign ESR or JWP shows that we didn't get the players we wanted this window.  

 

Let's see how we go!  Especially when the injured players are back!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The CM/DM role takes time to learn: dominating both forward-looking and defensive play takes foresight and skill, but also that bit of experience.

 

I think Doug is gaining that experience and, on his day, the bloke looks like a Rolls Royce. Granted, on off days, he looks like a Rolls Royce without an engine, but I hope that he's starting to learn how to dominate games, make them tick over. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

thats interesting and all, but we really need to look at it over 3 years, rather than 1.

even with this summer included, we are still the 4th biggest spenders.

I really wanted us to sign a DM, however i can see why we decided to not go mad this summer, also, unless im wrong, when we get to next summer we will be able to spend knowing the 19/20 spend of 140m will come off the books soon, so we will then only have a net spend of roughly 75m over the two prior seasons of 20/21 and 21/22 (excluding next summers spend), rather than the 210m ish currently showing.

Unless im wrong, that means next summer we might be able to have a huge war chest.

I wonder if this seaosn is consolidating, bedding in the new signings (who are actually very good signings), and looking to go big next summer.

@Czarnikjak thoughts?

 

Table - 19/20, 20/21, 21/22 net spend (ie: 3 yr FFP spend as of now)

image.png.bd824b43136fd6bbc230f73a92f331ae.png

What Super League?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Surely improving the squad AND making a profit on player sales is a good thing isn't it? 

no. people would rather we were more like arsenal, apparently

imagine what other fans would think if they look at that table. "villa have signed buendia, ings, young and bailey, for a net profit overall, and they're not happy with their window!!"

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • VT Supporter
6 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I think Doug is gaining that experience and, on his day, the bloke looks like a Rolls Royce. Granted, on off days, he looks like a Rolls Royce without an engine, but I hope that he's starting to learn how to dominate games, make them tick over. 

The changes in coaching setup may also improve things. Yes, we could be worse without ROK and JT but it is also a new opportunity for a different perspective and that could help our players. I would think that CP would look at all change (losing ROK, JT and Jack) as opportunities to improve things and move forward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
17 minutes ago, sne said:

Would be quite the development since we sent him on loan to Conference league Stockport County this season. The difference in quality must be staggering.

Gresford stepped up from league two didn't he? Raikhy has looked great every time I've seen him. He was incredible in the cup game against Liverpool. Even if he's not starting next season but is coming on as sub and breaks through, would mean breaking club record for a DM right now less attractive surely?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, striker said:

I actually think Villa were two signings away (midfielders) from challenging for Europe this season. Would it not have been worth it to invest heavily now and bed those two new midfielders in over the course of the season than wait until January or next season? By not investing now you are running the risk of losing out to the top four when those players (Kamara) are out of contract or in the case of Bissouma only one year left on his contract next season.

I honestly feel Villa although signing some very good players this window to replace Grealish still have not addressed their major weakness in midfield. You have numbers there but those aforementioned signings above would have improved Villa’s midfield dramatically while also allowing the younger players coming through more time to bed in. 
 

Furthermore, in my humble opinion, by letting Guilbert go on loan, fullback positions have also been weakened. Yes you have Young, but are Villa really going to rely on a 36 year old throughout a season for cover especially when Target’s lack of pace was shown again against Watford and Cash’s performances haven’t been exactly great at the start of this season. I also don’t think anyone wants to see CBs playing at FB anymore.

I was one of those ardent critics when Grealish left. But who can blame him now for leaving when Villa still have two major weaknesses in their team unaddressed after having net expenditure in the transfer window?

Maybe Terry left for the same reason knowing the owner’s ambitions would yet again fall short of what was promised?

Absolutely not, no. Why bother having an academy and Chukwuemeka and Ramsey there in midfield and then sign not one but two new midfielders to deny them game time. What on earth would the academy be for exactly?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
15 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Very good point.

I didn't realise Sheffield United had wasted so much cash. They could be in a little trouble financially

Just looking at that 3 year table again. Our income from player sales over 3 years is our income from player sales in this window so we got no money from player sales in the previous 2 years in which 40 players left the club. That is sinful mismanagement to have 40 players leaving on a free / contract expiring / getting paid off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Gresford stepped up from league two didn't he? Raikhy has looked great every time I've seen him. He was incredible in the cup game against Liverpool. Even if he's not starting next season but is coming on as sub and breaks through, would mean breaking club record for a DM right now less attractive surely?

Was League 1 but yeah, be delighted obviously if Raikhy could step in a be a PL quality player next season. Would expect it to be a couple years away yet thou otherwise I think the club would have sent him to a Championship club.

Not sure if he's signed a new contract yet? The old one expires next summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Absolutely not, no. Why bother having an academy and Chukwuemeka and Ramsey there in midfield and then sign not one but two new midfielders to deny them game time. What on earth would the academy be for exactly?

Also a academy that has had millions poured into recently at Bodymoor and the proposed urban city academy as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


16 hours ago, Jas10 said:

It’s not ideal but we actually have options and alternatives now…

We could set up in a number of ways and with different players.

 

Liverpool style front 3?

         Watkins.     Ings.     Bailey

 

      McGinn/Sanson.     Buendia

                           Luiz

(everyone  knows our back 4 & GK)

We can alternate players and not really lose much or bring in different qualities, off the bench too (for a change). Targett and Cash will be required to provide width.

I wonder how we would fit both McGinn & Sanson into the team… maybe Dean prefers “intense pressing” players such as these guys rather than having a typical DM, they will battle and chase for the ball relentlessly… so will forward players like Buendia and Watkins. That aggressive approach will help us but requires a lot of fitness/energy/stamina…

 

Alternative:

 

                         Watkins

                  Ings                   Bailey

 

        McGinn/Sanson.        Buendia 
                           Luiz

 

We also have Traore who I would argue has the quality and talent to be a starter or rotate and feature heavily from the bench. I expect him to be even better this season and can’t resist the entertainment and silky skills & goals he contributes. 😆

Beyond that, if El Ghazi can kick on from his Brentford performance, we have players that can fill in and provide some sort of competition or extra motivation  for starters to be on top of their game.

Then we have younger players to come in, Ramsey seemingly the most prominent/capable atm, he’s shown some development/improvement too… played well in his last game…

 

I would agree that we lack strength, physicality and aerial prowess in midfield but Dean possibly has a different approach that could work out well and better than we expect… I think we are going to be an aggressive, pressing team with a lot of attacking threat and goals in us. Buendia is going to create plenty, Bailey is going to be deadly and frighten the opposition with his pace and skill. Watkins is going to work his arse off and get goals, Ings will be our deadly finisher with vital/crucial goals, even out of the blue sometimes…

It’s not so bad guys!!!

But can we have another signing? 😆

I think most of us on here see it as "not that bad".  The discussion on here from many of us is that we had hoped for a bit more/that it would be a "great" window that would really position us to compete for the top 6.  The narrative from the club is that we want to challenge for CL.  I think we are only a couple of players away from being in a position to do so, but, as always, it is those last few steps that always seem to allude us (think MoN signing Heskey in 2009 when we weren't far away from crashing the CL).  I think we were in the position to do that this year with the owner's wealth, a decent FFP position following the sale of Jack and the underlying squad.  However, it appears that someone (the owners, Smith, Purslow, Lange or the collective) has decided on a more conservative approach.

Equally, I'm really not sure about your selections, mainly as I don't see Buendia as an "8"/"10".  I think he is too lightweight and this appeared to be the case in GW1 and is as per the comments of most Norwich City fans who all seem to say that he is better on the right drifting in to a central position when on the ball.  Equally, a number are pointing at a 4-4-2 but I am not convinced this will work with our midfield options and "wingers".

Personally, I would have loved an upgrade on El Ghazi and feel it was the right time to get value for him - 2 years left on his contract and coming of a reasonably high scoring season last year.  The drop from Grealish to El Ghazi was a significant part of the problem when Grealish was injured last season and we are in the same boat now if Bailey gets injured, as he has been, unless, as you say, Watkins moves out there to accommodate Ings at "9".  Whilst El Ghazi is technically good, I think he lacks the intensity to play in the top half of the PL for me.  JPB may be a better bet - he looks a real prospect - but I would have liked to see him loaned out as I don't think Smith will trust him with regular game time.

I think if we are relying on JJ and Chuk in CM - although they look great prospects - we will not be competing that high up.  For me JJ and JPB, as I say above, need 12 months in the championship to get regular game time and to learn on someone else's $.  I would keep Chuk around and then look to loan him similarly next year, unless he shows something more than he did against Brentford.  I recognise the need to create a pathway and not block the youth BUT, if we are going to act like a top club, I think the youth have to demonstrate that they are ready to dislodge a senior pro as Elliot has at Liverpool and Mount and James have at Chelsea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

thats interesting and all, but we really need to look at it over 3 years, rather than 1.

even with this summer included, we are still the 4th biggest spenders.

I really wanted us to sign a DM, however i can see why we decided to not go mad this summer, also, unless im wrong, when we get to next summer we will be able to spend knowing the 19/20 spend of 140m will come off the books soon, so we will then only have a net spend of roughly 75m over the two prior seasons of 20/21 and 21/22 (excluding next summers spend), rather than the 210m ish currently showing.

Unless im wrong, that means next summer we might be able to have a huge war chest.

I wonder if this seaosn is consolidating, bedding in the new signings (who are actually very good signings), and looking to go big next summer.

@Czarnikjak thoughts?

 

Table - 19/20, 20/21, 21/22 net spend (ie: 3 yr FFP spend as of now)

image.png.bd824b43136fd6bbc230f73a92f331ae.png

Since promotion we have clearly punched above our revenue weight with transfers (we had no choice if we wanted to be competitive). The 3 year table you have here shows it.

 

Although Premier League FFP is not a big concern to us anymore (for a while at least following JG sale), our growing wage bill will be a stumbling block to any huge spending next summer imo. We are likely to see maybe 1/2 big additions, not 5 like we have seen in previous years.

I am going to post financial summary of our transfer window in the FFP thread later on this week.

 

 

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â