Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I mentioned Greasy as a way of pointing out this hasn't been a 'smashing' window like you said because we've lost our best player.

The hole he leaves is pretty much irreplaceable because of what he gave us, Ings, Buendia and Bailey will all contribute in their own way but won't bring what he did. 

But whether we'd sold him or not CM/DM was the area I and many others identified as a weakness last season and it hasn't been fixed. 

That hole would have been there had he stayed too (even though I don't subscribe to the idea that not having another DM for 1 season is a fatal flaw).

We've managed to replace him (which itself is a huge ask) and still improved the squad in other areas. All things considered, I believe that constitutes a good window. Would I have liked another midfielder, particularly one that's more defensively focused? Absolutely. But not getting one doesn't negate all the good work we've done in the market this summer. If we signed a DM that was as good as our other signings, it would probably be a 10/10 window or as close as you could get to one. Not signing one, doesn't suddenly put us down to 6/10 like you said.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Disagree but ok buddy. You crack on with your nonsense 😂

Which part do you disagree with? You don't think creating chances without Mike Lubb was our biggest hurdle last season? I take it from that you don't think that if he hadn't been missing for 12 matches we would have pushed for a European place? Even with our atrocious-midfield

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Which part do you disagree with? You don't think creating chances without Mike Lubb was our biggest hurdle last season? I take it from that you don't think that if he hadn't been missing for 12 matches we would have pushed for a European place? Even with our atrocious-midfield

Check and mate.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We have always found it hard to break teams down like Burnley, Brentford etc, reason being, the midfield. It'll be the same this season. Upfront is amazing and will cause teams all sorts of problems, if we can get them the ball, without resorting to hoofing it. It needed sorting, but I guess we will see when all the players come back in if we still have the same problems.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We have always found it hard to break teams down like Burnley, Brentford etc, reason being, the midfield. It'll be the same this season. Upfront is amazing and will cause teams all sorts of problems, if we can get them the ball, without resorting to hoofing it. It needed sorting, but I guess we will see when all the players come back in if we still have the same problems.

The usual argument on here is that our midfield was too weak and got exposed too easily. 

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Right, because I don't remember DM being a particularly huge concern when we were playing the best football in the league before Grealish got injured.

I do seem to remember us reverting back to 19/20 levels after he got injured though. We seemed to play a level above that on Saturday and that was despite missing half the first team. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Disagree but ok buddy. You crack on with your nonsense 😂

But @dont_do_it_doug.was absolutely right. Our biggest problem last season by an absolute country mile was creating chances when Grealish wasn't in the team. Not sure how you can say that's nonsense but I'm sure you'll come up with something.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Buendia is a player who like to drop deep and affect play. We have already seen this, even if the effect hasn't quite been what we would like as yet. Bailey is another transition player, a dribbler with extreme pace who likes to run at people, past people, onto those more direct balls into the channel. This could be another game changer. It looks as though they will want Ings playing off Watkins, in some capacity. Watkins is an excellent receiver of the ball, so having somebody playing closer to him should provide another avenue of attack.  

From the outside looking in, it seems as if we have sought to address these issues, even if it's not in a way you would have done so. The magic happens in the implementation.  

I would have liked another midfielder. The club clearly wanted a high quality (in their opinion) midfielder. But they're not desperate, so as usual until proven otherwise I will defer. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Right, because I don't remember DM being a particularly huge concern when we were playing the best football in the league before Grealish got injured.

I do seem to remember us reverting back to 19/20 levels after he got injured though. We seemed to play a level above that on Saturday and that was despite missing half the first team. 

With Jack out, Traore was our only creative option and we had Davis and Wesley as the only other option upfront. 

But yeah, us not having a massive CM was the obvious concern.

People just rewrite history to suit their agenda. 

• Like 1