Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

Our net spend since the NSWE takeover has us in the top 5 for the PL. That's ambition. I don't remember reading anywhere that the target was Europe in year 3. 

I think it's a certain part of the fan base that needs to readjust their expectations. Maybe find some grounding in realisim. The Top 6 generate revenue at a rate that is laughable compared to us. The idea that we were just going to waltz in from the championship and snatch a spot with a couple good windows has no basis in fact. 

Still one of the youngest teams in the PL. Please give them the time to grow and mature without the weight of unrealistic expectations. 

Then Dean Smith, Purslow and everyone needs to adjust the narrative they keep giving us. I haven't invented the expectations I have, or impression I have about their ambition. It's been a pretty constant narrative for a while that is repeated by every new signing too. 

But right now, the narrative that we aim to compete for the European positions is looking false. 

• Like 2

I think we'll sign Cheikh Doucourè by the end of tomorrow. I'd like to see him and McKennie come in with a view to Nakamba being moved on in January after AFCON or in the summer but not getting my hopes up.

I think we'll get one midfielder in before end of tomorrow, my money is on Doucourè

28 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would only see Lingard as a possible loan for us, I can't imagine we would want a permanent deal and as we have already got Tuanzebe on loan from Utd that rules out any further loans from them

I've heard we can only loan two or more players from the same team if the sun rises before 05:47am on deadline day and the wind blows in a NE direction over the holte end

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Then Dean Smith, Purslow and everyone needs to adjust the narrative they keep giving us. I haven't invented the expectations I have, or impression I have about their ambition. It's been a pretty constant narrative for a while that is repeated by every new signing too. 

But right now, the narrative that we aim to compete for the European positions is looking false. 

To be fair, you haven't seen the plan in action yet, so not sure you can claim challenging for Europe is false. 

We haven't seen what Watkins and Ings look like. We haven't seen Bailey start a game for us. We haven't seen all of those on the same pitch as Buendia with Traore as another option. 

Way too soon to start saying it's over because we haven't signed a cm. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Glaziers bought Man Utd for 800m, it is worth 4.6Billion today.

Liverpool is valued at over 2.9 Billion, it was bought for 300m

You may want to rethink that statement.

Glaziers are a prime example of sinking their debts in the club. It's part of the reason the club's valuation is so high tbh.

I also note you've ignored the rest of my post where I was talking specifically about clubs outside the top four.

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I think we'll sign Cheikh Doucourè by the end of tomorrow. I'd like to see him and McKennie come in with a view to Nakamba being moved on in January after AFCON or in the summer but not getting my hopes up.

I think we'll get one midfielder in before end of tomorrow, my money is on Doucourè

I think Doucourè would be an excellent long-term replacement for Nakamba. If we can get him for a decent price, it would be a fantastic bit of business.

Time is running out though.

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think that we are going to have to get used to the fact that we are going to be promoting some of the youth to the senior team during the summer transfer windows as opposed to buying 'quality signings'. This is the model that we have been told since the very start and it is only now that we have had youth players that have shown the quality to make the step up. Next season Louie Barry looks like he could be our left wing signing as opposed to spending another 30m

I'd be very surprised if that is the plan. I think our spending will reduce because we don't need to be signing 4 or 5 players each summer. But I'd be very surprised if each summer we still don't buy at least one ready made player. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Glaziers are a prime example of sinking their debts in the club. It's part of the reason the club's valuation is so high tbh.

How have Glaziers put their debt into Utd? They leveraged the club as an asset to raise the funds for the purchase. They take profits out of the club as they own it. The club's valuation has nothing whatsoever to do with Glaziers sinking debt into the club. If anything the club would have a higher valuation if it didn't have a lien on  its assets 

• Like 1

Some have high expectations, as do I, an why not, it's our prerogative. When we have some of the richest owners in the Prem, who have already spent best part of £300 mill on transfers, it's to be expected. Europe was talked about being this seasons challenge, by the board and Smith, no one in authority has said this has changed, Smith has actually said, there will be no need for any transition period.

We have Wet Spam doing a much better job than us, is their team much better than ours, debatable, so yes Europe should still be our aim.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think that we are going to have to get used to the fact that we are going to be promoting some of the youth to the senior team during the summer transfer windows as opposed to buying 'quality signings'. This is the model that we have been told since the very start and it is only now that we have had youth players that have shown the quality to make the step up. Next season Louie Barry looks like he could be our left wing signing as opposed to spending another 30m

More than OK with this, but the position we need most, a defensive minded midfielder, isn't one we have a strong option for in the Academy ranks.

It's also why I'm so disappointed we are letting Guilbert go, it leaves us so short we should be looking to replace him. But our next RB is in the academy and it's probably 18 months too soon for him. Keeping Guilbert till he's ready makes the most sense and then Kesler can step in and be our 'new signing'.

But yeah, all for academy graduates but we still need to fill the holes.

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

How have Glaziers put their debt into Utd? They leveraged the club as an asset to raise the funds for the purchase. They take profits out of the club as they own it. The club's valuation has nothing whatsoever to do with Glaziers sinking debt into the club. If anything the club would have a higher valuation if it didn't have a lien on  its assets 

The club is over £500 million in debt. The Glaziers have taken out several large loans against it.

Still ignoring the rest of my post, which was the whole point. Stop cherry picking Señor Griffin!

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Some have high expectations, as do I, an why not, it's our prerogative. When we have some of the richest owners in the Prem, who have already spent best part of £300 mill on transfers, it's to be expected. Europe was talked about being this seasons challenge, by the board and Smith, no one in authority has said this has changed, Smith has actually said, there will be no need for any transition period.

We have Wet Spam doing a much better job than us, is their team much better than ours, debatable, so yes Europe should still be our aim.

Most have high expectations, I doubt there is anyone who doesn't want European football to be the aim.

The difference is some will then use this expectation to turn on the manager whereas others, whilst having high expectations will also be realistic about the challenge.

20 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Dont pay tax on debts.  Service the debt you have ladened it with.  Nice earner.  Simples

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Definitely agree with this. Weirdly I think if we signed Bailey with hours left in the window the mood would be better than it currently is.

Doesn't mean I don't think the squad is weaker than it could be in a certain area. But, even if we signed a DM weeks ago, some would still be calling for another player in another position right now anyway.

I think you're right. We've signed 5 good quality players this window. Got them all done early (ish) in the window. 

For me, the squad is far stronger as a whole than before the window. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, est1874 said:

They've pumped in hundreds of millions in transfer fees, and several million more in operational costs to date - that's not including their initial outlay in buying the club (which I agree was low considering our profile, history, assets) and the tax bills they had to fork out for in the beginning.

I think they'd maybe come close to breaking even but they're not getting more than £250m for a club of our size, off any buyer, so I doubt they'd really be able to turn a profit tbh. They'd have to asset-strip first, and I don't see them ever doing that.

I’m not saying they haven’t spent money but the money they have spent on transfers are assets. Our squad is probably worth close to £300m now. Martinez, Watkins, Konsa alone would bring in the best part of £140m. Add the Sky and Grealish money into the pot and I think they turn a profit. Newcastle we’re getting sold for over £300m before the PL pulled the plug, there squad isn’t worth anywhere near ours. West Ham are valued at £400m and would argue the same about their squad given the age of their players with the exception of Rice. Obviously they are based in London so you pay extra there but they don’t even own their own ground. NSWE are astute businessmen, they know they got a bargain and pumped in millions because they got it way below market value. West Brom cost £180m, think we would be valued north of £300m imo. Either way they have been great for us and I’m not complaining just playing devil’s advocate!

Edited by WHY