Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

54 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

As impressed as I've been with our youngsters, it does feel like we're cutting things a bit close by letting Guilbert and Hourihane leave without bringing anyone else in.

I just hope that this "too good to turn down" deal crops up before the window closes.

Hourihane is our 7th choice midfielder...how is that cutting close?

7 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Why would anyone own a PL club outside the Top 4. You invest roughly £250 million over 2 seasons without selling a single player of any real value. You then spend another £100 million in one window and people still have a pop because you didn't spend the entire Grealish fee in one window. 

NSWE are business men. They are in this make a return on their investment. They aren't going to set a billion £s on fire in a push for the Top 4.  We also aren't owned by a money laundering, slimey nation state. This is going to be a smart push for Europe. One where they can see a return on their investment and we, as in Aston Villa, don't end up flat broke unable to pay a tax bill if they decide to pull back on the fund injection. 

Our academy will be a big part of that push. We have spent millions attractiing some of the best talent in the country. Some will find a level below our ambition and be sold for profit.  For each one that breaks through, saves us £20-£30 million in transfer fees, inflated wages, and agent fees. 

Given how badly the Lerner years went I'm willing to exercise a level of patience as long as we continue to see the proper management that has been on display since the NSWE takeover. 

We won't be challenging for the top 9 let alone the top 4 for a long time. 

The club have churned out the pr about our ambition for the last few years. They have created the higher expectations themselves. Being a bit bemused after the window was talked up so much, by Smith himself, and when we're coming out of it with arguably a worse team, but improved squad, is not entitled. 

Other teams around above us are strengthening. 

Sure, a lot depends on how Watkins and Ings fit in the team together, but we've seen one unconvincing formation so far in the one pre season game they played together. I have a sense that square pegs and round holes is the only way we'll be able to play our best players. That's a worry. Our non improved midfield is a worry too. 

Edited by Rolta

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would only see Lingard as a possible loan for us, I can't imagine we would want a permanent deal and as we have already got Tuanzebe on loan from Utd that rules out any further loans from them

6 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Oh god... You don't know what you've just done... 😂

So....... Does this mean we can loan Januzaj 🤣

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Why would anyone own a PL club outside the Top 4. You invest roughly £250 million over 2 seasons without selling a single player of any real value. You then spend another £100 million in one window and people still have a pop because you didn't spend the entire Grealish fee in one window. 

NSWE are business men. They are in this make a return on their investment. They aren't going to set a billion £s on fire in a push for the Top 4.  We also aren't owned by a money laundering, slimey nation state. This is going to be a smart push for Europe. One where they can see a return on their investment and we, as in Aston Villa, don't end up flat broke unable to pay a tax bill if they decide to pull back on the fund injection. 

Our academy will be a big part of that push. We have spent millions attracting some of the best talent in the country. Some will find a level below our ambition and be sold for profit.  For each one that breaks through, saves us £20-£30 million in transfer fees, inflated wages, and agent fees. 

Given how badly the Lerner years went I'm willing to exercise a level of patience as long as we continue to see the proper management that has been on display since the NSWE takeover. 

I don't think they necessarily are tbh.

Real businessmen would take one look at professional football and see very poor investment prospects. The only viable/sensible reason to invest in a football club is to be able to leverage the assets to offset massive personal debt or other failing investments.

A pair of shrewd and mega-rich businessmen like Nassef and Wes haven't invested a portion of their considerable fortunes in Aston Villa expecting money back.

I'm sure if they were to break even (or close) over time, that would certainly be an added bonus, but to me they look like men who have made plenty of money and wanted the prestige and considerable challenge of owning a football club and improving its fortunes on the pitch.

If they'd wanted profit they could have afforded to buy a bigger club than ours. Just look at where they stand on the rich list of other PL owners - they're in the top quadrant.

Instead they invested in a failing club, mid-table in the Championship, about to combust.

You've highlighted the issue yourself. There's no profit to be had in owning a club outside the Top 4 unless you're Mike Ashley.

If they'd wanted to do what Ashley does, they could have just bought Newcastle.

46 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dont think anyone is unhappy with our purchases.

I think in isolation, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Young and Tuanzebe are an excellent group of signings.

The issue i think people do have, is we lost Mike Lubb for 100m, meaning our effective net spend is zero, and as per the club statement, Ings, Buendia and bailey are effectively to "replace the output of Gresford".

So basically, we are roughly standing still, or may be slightly behind, or ahead of last year, we dont know yet, but what we do know, is we are slightly in the green this window in terms of spend (or at worst net zero), and considering some gaps in the team, many (inc. myself) find it amazing that we arent trying to fix at least one of our glaring issues (a no.6).

The thing i find doubly strange in relation to a no.6, is while we have many promising youth players in other positons, such as the wings, striker, midfield, defence, we dont have a high potential youth player coming through in the short term at DM, so there is no excuse there for not wanting a top class no.6.

So yeah, in closing, i dont think anyone can be unhappy with our purchases, they are top notch purchases, but when you factor in incomings AND outgoings, we havent really invested heavily at all, which is strange.

A fair and reasoned post, question is does Dean think we need that conventional 6?  If he doesn’t, rightly or wrongly it doesn’t mater what we think it isn’t going to happen and on his head be it.

It could be argued he has already earned the right to do what he thinks is right rather than listen to fans clamour.

8 minutes ago, macandally said:

I promise you this, it doesn’t matter how much these owners spend, we will always, always, need one more!

Definitely agree with this. Weirdly I think if we signed Bailey with hours left in the window the mood would be better than it currently is.

Doesn't mean I don't think the squad is weaker than it could be in a certain area. But, even if we signed a DM weeks ago, some would still be calling for another player in another position right now anyway.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, est1874 said:

True but at some point we have to put that calamity behind us and start taking our current situation seriously. Those 3 are good acquisitions but we had 36-year-old Ashley Young playing 5 different positions in the last 3 games. We also lost our best player in 20 years. We also have an injury crisis ongoing.

So I think people are in fact entitled to want another signing before the window shuts, regardless of the situation 4 years ago. This is different and we have a great opportunity to keep pushing on. The investment has been good but we can't act like we've achieved anything yet and the squad still has holes.

You believe it has holes, the question is does Dean?

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

I don't think they necessarily are tbh.

Real businessmen would take one look at professional football and see very poor investment prospects. The only viable/sensible reason to invest in a football club is to be able to leverage the assets to offset massive personal debt or other failing investments.

A pair of shrewd and mega-rich businessmen like Nassef and Wes haven't invested a portion of their considerable fortunes in Aston Villa expecting money back.

I'm sure if they were to break even (or close) over time, that would certainly be an added bonus, but to me they look like men who have made plenty of money and wanted the prestige and considerable challenge of owning a football club and improving its fortunes on the pitch.

If they'd wanted profit they could have afforded to buy a bigger club than ours. Just look at where they stand on the rich list of other PL owners - they're in the top quadrant.

Instead they invested in a failing club, mid-table in the Championship, about to combust.

You've highlighted the issue yourself. There's no profit to be had in owning a club outside the Top 4 unless you're Mike Ashley.

If they'd wanted to do what Ashley does, they could have just bought Newcastle.

To be fair they got the the club for pittance. They would get their investment back tomorrow if they sold the club. They could easily turn a profit on us in the end!

• Like 1

Just now, WHY said:

To be fair they got the the club for pittance. They would get their investment back tomorrow if they sold the club. They could easily turn a profit on us in the end!

They've pumped in hundreds of millions in transfer fees, and several million more in operational costs to date - that's not including their initial outlay in buying the club (which I agree was low considering our profile, history, assets) and the tax bills they had to fork out for in the beginning.

I think they'd maybe come close to breaking even but they're not getting more than £250m for a club of our size, off any buyer, so I doubt they'd really be able to turn a profit tbh. They'd have to asset-strip first, and I don't see them ever doing that.

2 minutes ago, macandally said:

A fair and reasoned post, question is does Dean think we need that conventional 6?  If he doesn’t, rightly or wrongly it doesn’t mater what we think it isn’t going to happen and on his head be it.

It could be argued he has already earned the right to do what he thinks is right rather than listen to fans clamour.

Yep, Deano may think he doesnt need a conventional 6, he also has all of the right in the world to make his own decisions and not listen to fans, i wouldnt in a hundred years expect him too, its his job to succeed or fail in, and he needs to call the shots.

Its just my own opinion on a fans opinion board, everyone can take or leave what i say! 😜

Wouldnt be much of a fan discussion board, if we didnt have our own opinions!

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Glaziers bought Man Utd for 800m, it is worth 4.6Billion today.

Liverpool is valued at over 2.9 Billion, it was bought for 300m

You may want to rethink that statement.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yep, Deano may think he doesnt need a conventional 6, he also has all of the right in the world to make his own decisions and not listen to fans, i wouldnt in a hundred years expect him too, its his job to succeed or fail in, and he needs to call the shots.

Its just my own opinion on a fans opinion board, everyone can take or leave what i say! 😜

Wouldnt be much of a fan discussion board, if we didnt have our own opinions!

Agree 100%

We are now entering silly season so links to players will come think and fast. I'd prefer to sign no one else rather than another Baston type. 

I'd like to see a center mid/ defensive mid come in but I think that's down to who's available and at what price. 

8 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Definitely agree with this. Weirdly I think if we signed Bailey with hours left in the window the mood would be better than it currently is.

Are you sure? Would people not be moaning that we should have signed him earlier to get him ready for the 1st team sooner 😀

• Haha 3