Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

and signed Ings, Buendia and Bailey who combined got about 5 times what Jack did in goal contributions last season

That’s a false comparison. Jack is not three players. You have to include the contributions of the other two players who were displaced by the new boys. 

Edit: Just realised about 3 others made this point before me. Sozzers.

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think the expectation has come from the owners and club to the fans.  We’ve got excited because they’ve excited us.  What they’ve talked about in terms of ambitions, goals and aims.  Otherwise I would’ve been more than happy with gradual progression.  

But the aim is Europe. People are acting like we're going to be no where near because we didn't sign the CM they wanted. 

The aims and goals are exciting. But there's a difference between an aim and a minimum expectation 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Zouma played 5 games for France in the last 3 seasons hardly a regular. Vlasic did nothing in the Premier League last time out and doing it in Russian league isnt the same as the Bundesliga. Is far from the same hype

I bet if we'd signed them you'd be creaming your pants

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

That’s a false comparison. Jack is not three players. You have to include the contributions of the other two players who were displaced by the new boys. 

EXACTLY.

It's mental how you don't realise you've kind of answered your own query mate.

Say for example Jack Grealish was out injured for a 3rd of the season.

Would it be more, or less detrimental, than having 1 of the 3 new players out - leaving 2?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Their contributions will be better than what we had last year. 

You'd also think Luiz will continue to improve. 

It's better than last season. 

I reckon we would have lost last season against Brentford with that many players out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Fair enough. You think we’ll go 4-4-2 then? 

I'd imagine that's the plan. 

Luiz sitting, Mcginn box to box with Ings dropping deep at times with Watkins on the last man or running the channels. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

When we came up did people really think we'd have the perfect European quality squad 3 summer windows later?

We keep building the squad and can add other pieces next summer. We don't need to do everything right now. 

The manager himself said Europe was the goal to try for this year.

So yes you would expect a squad without gaping holes in it. Having to rely on talented but inexperienced kids after 1 injury. Having to play a supposed full back in central midfield. None of that screams trying for Europe. My point is the words don't actually match the actions of the squad built. 

So did something change? This season will require as deep a squad as ever due to the uncertainty of COVID and international travel. Yet the squad is paper thin in places. If you think Ramsey and the like can hold their own against a team like a Chelsea much less Brentford you need to take the claret and blue specs off.

To clarify I hate being negative. I just cannot understand what the plan has been.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think the expectation has come from the owners and club to the fans.  We’ve got excited because they’ve excited us.  What they’ve talked about in terms of ambitions, goals and aims.  Otherwise I would’ve been more than happy with gradual progression.  

I think Edens’ success with Milwaukee Bucks has bowled people over a bit. Unfortunately, we may need more patience before Villa start reaping similar rewards. The Bucks’ successes were built over 6-7 years and arguably the PL is a tougher mountain to conquer (and we were almost in administration not so along ago).

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Well Ings has already surpassed Davis' contribution, and if we are counting Buendia as Barkleys replacement, he only needs 2 more goals and 1 assist to match him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I bet if we'd signed them you'd be creaming your pants

No i would be underwhelmed, Zouma wouldnt even get in our starting team. Probably Vlasic as well, I expect Traore to have better stats than him