Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I use my hard earned to go and watch my team win and be a success. I have alot of respect for our owners and the manager believe it or not. But if were not winning football games, I'm not happy, simples.

Good news is we only have a 33% loss rate at the moment. 

Edited by Tommo_b

7 minutes ago, WHY said:

Based on what? I’m not saying he’s a bad player but he hasn’t played more than 24 league games wherever he’s been. Would argue the clubs he’s been at with the exception of Bayern he should be playing more games. Not sure if he is injury prone but those aren’t great numbers for a player who seems to be so highly rated. 

I watched him at the Euros and also seen a bit of him for Lille and he's a class above any of our CMs, don't get bogged down in stats, he would improve us massively.

He has had issues with injuries but if Wolves keep him fit they've got a hell of a player on their hands. 

Just shows there are still quality players available who could push us on, which makes our stance of having completed our business even more bewildering. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

Our squad is stronger now than it was, if it wasn't for Grealish's injury we would have qualified for Europe last season or come very close to it, we've lost Grealish but his creativity and goals have been replaced with Buendia, Bailey and Ings.

I think people over exagerate how desperate we are for a new midfielder just out of the thrill of wanting a new signing, our midfield was perfectly fine last season, we had the seventh best defence in the league and only Man City kept more clean sheets, so our DMs can't have done that bad of a job, main problem was creativity whilst Grealish was out, but we've made signings in an attempt to fix that.

This!

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

No upgrade of our keeper 

No upgrade of our starting back 4 ( with Terry now gone ) 

No upgrade to our starting central midfield with youngsters now being blooded in there 

Wings .. Grealish gone with Buendia and Bailey coming in 

Striker ..we now have Ings and Watkins which is great. 

I cannot see why that would result in going a further 5 places up the league to be fair but love your positivity 

Grealish was good, but Buendia and Bailey both in the side is a far more frightening proposition than just Grealish. 

I see us finishing above Arsenal, Leeds, Everton and West Ham, all it takes is for Leicester or Tottenham to have a bad season and we are right in the mix. That’s my IMO… lol and I hope I’m right. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I watched him at the Euros and also seen a bit of him for Lille and he's a class above any of our CMs, don't get bogged down in stats, he would improve us massively.

He has had issues with injuries but if Wolves keep him fit they've got a hell of a player on their hands. 

Just shows there are still quality players available who could push us on, which makes our stance of having completed our business even more bewildering. 

Not getting bogged down with stats, just stating he doesn’t play many games. Not ideal for a footballer. If we are talking stats his are poor in truth. Yeah he looked decent at the Euros but I’m still not convinced he will reach his true potential for one reason or another.

We mustn't block the passage of young talent into our first team with average players.  It will knacker our only way to challenge the established top order - in a sustainable way.

If we don't sign anyone else, it is because we believe the guys coming through are, or are close to being better than what we can go out and get.  Our owners have put their money where their mouths are, and deserve our backing.  We'd all love another couple of top signings, but if they aren't achievable, then it is what it is.  Our squad is better than last year, albeit we are in for a rocky few weeks with tough games and absentees.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

honestly, i think if you put our first 11 alongside their first 11, imo the real major difference is the DM/MC pairing, ie: Soucek/Rice vs Luiz/McGinn/other.

their central pairing is nasty good.

Moyes out by Xmas, to me old gits overachieving there, bubble to burst soon.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah I've watched them.

They look very good.

You almost don't want to say it on here, due to fear of getting slammed 🤣

Strong squad as well.

They have a good side.

And yet they twice failed to hold onto a lead at home to a Crystal Palace side who hadnt scored a goal in their 3 previous games.

By the logic of some on here, thats them consigned to a long hard season where mid table is the best they can hope for.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

Grealish was good, but Buendia and Bailey both in the side is a far more frightening proposition than just Grealish. 

I see us finishing above Arsenal, Leeds, Everton and West Ham, all it takes is for Leicester or Tottenham to have a bad season and we are right in the mix. That’s my IMO… lol and I hope I’m right. 

Jeez I’m normally really positive but you are smoking some crazy shit and I want some to have that level of positivity.  I’m thinking 9th, 10th or 11th is our level.

• Like 2

I think optimism is great. I'm also optimistic, I'm also realistic. Our central midfield is not good enough for a European challenge. It's really not. Does that mean Smith or the players will be supported by the fans less....certainly not by me. I am however, not convinced a pairing or a trio of Luiz/McGinn/Nakamba/Ramsey/Chuk or Sanson will be enough to allow us to be consistent throughout the season and challenge the top six. If the powers that be do then I am happy to be corrected but I don't feel I will somehow.

I feel that between them they have great attributes but all lack the one thing we lack......Brickshithouseness. Non of those mentioned will rag you about, elbow you in the mush, out muscle you, physically dominate, torment, beat you in the air. These are the qualities or should I say physical and mental qualities we need in the middle. A Ian Taylor or a George Boateng type player. Get that type of player in the ranks and I'm fully onboard the Euro bandwagon. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Moyes out by Xmas, to me old gits overachieving there, bubble to burst soon.

He hasn’t started badly this season, I think they’ll be a strong outfit again

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Here's to hoping that a player we really want becomes available suddenly tomorrow.

As others have said, no point shelling out on players that are no better than the ones we need to replace, to improve.

There's one surefire way to make that happen: Submit an acceptable bid.

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

I think given the circumstances of the season just two more would have made sense, not that some kind of Bruce-level negligence has gone on. As I said all going well I actually think our starting XI and bench is better than most here seem to, but it was quite widely reported at different stages of the window that we were looking at bringing in another keeper and a midfielder, which to me would have made sense and left the squad far from bloated on paper. 

Given Martinez possibly missing out on a few games this season I'm personally a tad wary of Steer alone being adequate back up, and aside from any judgements on his ability Nakamba might be missing for a while on international duty, whilst also in that area of the pitch Luiz hasn't really had any kind proper rest for a good while.

As I said, I like the squad, just not 100% comfortable in thinking that we won't find ourselves in a similar predicament as the last few weeks at some point again.

Thank you, I have a much better idea of what you mean now. I can see your point, if we look forward to expected absences throughout the season there will be times we are a bit light. I guess the issue is to try to balance the risk of being a bit light at some points with the problems of the costs and frustrations created by having a larger squad than we can give sufficient game time to.

Personally, I have faith that Steer will be enough for a few games of cover. He has been good enough when called upon before and unlucky not to have played more games for us. Next summer I can see the question of goalkeeper being raised again though and that is another matter. I'd also love a defensive minded midfielder either to compete with or replace Nakamba. I don't dislike Nakamba, I'd just like a player in his position who is one of the first names on the team sheet, that everyone has faith in.

I tried to question your first post in a polite way, without the harshness that several posters here have done to posts they don't understand or agree with. Your answer was really clear thank you and made it much easier to understand your thoughts.