Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

could we end up playing with 3 box to box midfielders in the starting eleven? guess it fits how we want to play so not sure we're in for a traditional CDM. just players who will run like mad and chase.

Just now, Woody1000 said:

I don’t think Dean’s job is on the line unless we are flirting with relegation this season. We’ve constantly moved forward under him, if we finish mid table this year I believe the owners would give him another crack at it.

I'm worried we might fall back to the top of this relegation-fighting pack. It's not just losing Jack...if Bailey and Traore have bad hamstrings they could be out for a fair few games. El Ghazi is no replacement for Jack on the left and I see us struggling. 

I'm normally half glass full, but losing Jack and the lack of positional balance between our signings (we now have 3 right sided attackers, no exceptional DM, poor options at left wing, and two strikers who both want to play as the main man, possibly tempting us into faffing about with formations to fit everyone in), plus, in a weird way, the godawful kit is giving me bad vibes!

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

could we end up playing with 3 box to box midfielders in the starting eleven? guess it fits how we want to play so not sure we're in for a traditional CDM. just players who will run like mad and chase.

That can work perfectly fine if the players in their have the right discipline. I think one still needs to take the responsibility and sit deeper though, and it's a lot of work for the two if we play 4231 when Ings and Watkins are fit. I think Douglas Luiz might be a much more important player this season than many might have thought.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

If we don't sign anyone else its a HUGE vote of confidence in Jacob Ramsey to play a big big part in our season. 

He did well last week but he needs to build on that AND be consistent with it too. 

he's got my vote of confidence. looked decent last season and like he's continually improving.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

Or maybe Smith has faith in the youngsters to do a job this season.

I think we probably had a one and only main midfield target and anyone else getable was a sideways move if that. With the squad we have we can integrate the kids at our own pace and who knows, maybe they get where we want them to be quickly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villaglint said:

If we don't sign anyone else its a HUGE vote of confidence in Jacob Ramsey to play a big big part in our season. 

He did well last week but he needs to build on that AND be consistent with it too. 

It's also putting a lot of stock in Sanson, who many seem to have forgotten is still an unknown for us, but once he's match fit, at 27 and signed with the value of a £30 million midfielder, I think Smith would be expecting him to play every game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

It's also putting a lot of stock in Sanson, who many seem to have forgotten is still an unknown for us, but once he's match fit, at 27 and signed with the value of a £30 million midfielder, I think Smith would be expecting him to play every game.

thought you had heard mate. he's shit.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

When's he going be fit though. He's inherited whatever Grealish got. 

fitness and ability aren't the same thing. he's caught the Villa "slight knock" is all.

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Yes this is right. Its been a real false start for him, 4 starts for us and barely made it past the hour mark, then injured (for a long time). No surprise the fans dont know what to make of it, we've signed plenty of players in the past and even under current regime which just dont work out for one reason or another. Obviously hope that isnt the case with Sanson as we'll really need him to step up now. I also wonder whether this is a big vote in confidence for Carney and he sees him getting plenty of action this year (off bench and odd start like Ramsey last year). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

When's he going be fit though. He's inherited whatever Grealish got. 

Sanson not only has to get match fit, he also has to get up to speed with the prem too. I don't think we'll see him in full flow for at least a month.

• Like 1

Just now, osmark86 said:

fitness and ability aren't the same thing. he's caught the Villa "slight knock" is all.

Yeah I know they're different things. But his ability isn't really that useful if he has the Villa 'slight knock' curse. I think Villa need to do a burning tokens ceremony in the treatment room like in Ted Lasso. 

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Yeah I know they're different things. But his ability isn't really that useful if he has the Villa 'slight knock' curse. I think Villa need to do a burning tokens ceremony in the treatment room like in Ted Lasso. 

hahaha I know, but I don't think we should be too concerned. he WILL be back at some point and no need to cram our squad because he is currently injured. in any case it seems like he'll be back very shortly.

maybe burning tokens is EXACTLY what Villa needs to control this curse?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I watched them quite a lot last season and was really impressed. They are very organised and play good football.  I think Potter has done a superb job. 

I reckon they’ll hold on to Bissouma for another year. 

They are very good. A striker who puts away chances and they would have been very comfortable last year.

• Like 1