Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 hours ago, Villa Stu said:

I think we need to scrap the 4231 and go back to 433, at least until we have suitable players to play it. Luiz is back now and played his best football in a 433 for us also Sanson was in the training vid on Thursday or Friday so hopefully he is not too far away from returning. Mcginn needs to play as an 8, let him put challenges in higher up the pitch, cut off passing lanes and make late runs. Ramsey and chuk should also get more minutes in this system. I would be looking to start with 2 of Bailey, buendia and traore and one of ings or Watkins. This will give us more balance in the team and also added threat from the bench.

I would love us to get in a top dm to give the midfield a real balance and let the new 6 and luiz compete for the starting place. I like Nakamba and el ghazi but it is probably time for them to leave as I think we are at a point where we are progressing past their skills. 

AEG probably lost 5mil in valuation on the weekend. Hes a good bench option but can’t see him repeating last years numbers, so if we get a good offer we sell.

We need a better Marv but we wouldn’t get much for him and he would be more valuable to us as a backup.

Thinking about it, my take on Smith saying that we’re happy where we are is more to do with letting us get on with our business quietly without other buying clubs interfering.

Look at the Ings deal, I still have no idea how we kept everything so quiet. The media didn’t get a chance to tout him around to the likes of Spurs and Arsenal.

I wonder if we are just going to do the same thing with other targets. Ask the selling clubs to keep things quiet or the deal is off etc.

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

People balk at spending 40-50m on a first class CDM.

There's a reason we're stuck with Luiz, Nakamba, and a shoehorned #6 John McGinn. There's a reason we're not happy with either of them at CDM.

Collectively those 3 cost us ~£29m.

Like it or not we're more than likely going to have to spend significantly more on a quality CDM that improves our squad and helps us compete.

We're delighted at the investment NSWE have put into the club so far, and so we should be. But we're trying to challenge the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester.

Check out the the fees they paid for their record midfield signings. If we want quality in midfield, at some point we have to pay for it.

Pretty sure it's not the cost that is prohibitive.  We can offer to pay that fee all we want but the player actually has to want to play for us. Usually any player in that cost range is looking for champions league football. If we don't have that to offer then that level of player isn't going to come. 

So we have to go the other route which is buy the step below and hope they improve. That takes patience, which many on here don't seem to have at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

People balk at spending 40-50m on a first class CDM.

There's a reason we're stuck with Luiz, Nakamba, and a shoehorned #6 John McGinn. There's a reason we're not happy with either of them at CDM.

Collectively those 3 cost us ~£29m.

Like it or not we're more than likely going to have to spend significantly more on a quality CDM that improves our squad and helps us compete.

We're delighted at the investment NSWE have put into the club so far, and so we should be. But we're trying to challenge the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, Leicester.

Check out the the fees they paid for their record midfield signings. If we want quality in midfield, at some point we have to pay for it.

Totally, but there is a whole bunch of DCM's who would be a serious upgrade for 20m

I think one of the major things we will see this season is exactly what our midfield problems are, who doesn't fit in (no matter how decent they are) and therefore who we need to sell no matter what.

Personally I would only keep McGinn and Luiz at the moment, Sanson might be good but I've not seen it so far.

I'm not stuck on any of them and honestly I'd be happy enough to sell all of the senior CM's and construct one from scratch.

If Villa want to challenge for Europe this season then they need to invest heavily on two quality midfielders.

I also feel Villa lack quality at FB with Target lacking pace and Cash still trying to adapt from being a winger.

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Thinking about it, my take on Smith saying that we’re happy where we are is more to do with letting us get on with our business quietly without other buying clubs interfering.

Look at the Ings deal, I still have no idea how we kept everything so quiet. The media didn’t get a chance to tout him around to the likes of Spurs and Arsenal.

I wonder if we are just going to do the same thing with other targets. Ask the selling clubs to keep things quiet or the deal is off etc.

Only works if the selling club are desperate to or need to sell and we are being fair with our valuation. 

If we ask them to keep quiet whilst going after their prized assets with 3-5 years on their contracts (Sarr, Doucoure), best creative talents likely to keep them up (Cantwell) or under valuing them (relative to their value to their club, I.e. ESR £25m) or all of the above (JWP). Then they'll tell us to jog on and it's in their interest that more parties are brought in (or that we're shut down publicly).

Getting any transfer in for quality players like Ings, where the selling club are desperate because they have 1 yr left, player wants out, a generous offer on the table and a limited time to get the money in and out on a replacement (Armstrong) is going to be very few and far between.

I'd be amazed if we managed to pull it off multiple times in one window

12 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Only works if the selling club are desperate to or need to sell and we are being fair with our valuation. 

If we ask them to keep quiet whilst going after their prized assets with 3-5 years on their contracts (Sarr, Doucoure), best creative talents likely to keep them up (Cantwell) or under valuing them (relative to their value to their club, I.e. ESR £25m) or all of the above (JWP). Then they'll tell us to jog on and it's in their interest that more parties are brought in (or that we're shut down publicly).

Getting any transfer in for quality players like Ings, where the selling club are desperate because they have 1 yr left, player wants out, a generous offer on the table and a limited time to get the money in and out on a replacement (Armstrong) is going to be very few and far between.

I'd be amazed if we managed to pull it off multiple times in one window

Probably.

I just think it’s a more realistic reason compared to trying to discourage teams from putting prices up, as I’m pretty sure they would know we were still looking to sign players if we bid for one of their own.

If we don’t buy anyone else this window it’s possible that the owners and Purslow have decided to stop throwing money at Smith and let him sink or swim with the players they have given him so far. It will be under his recommendation that they have put the likes of McGinn on large contracts, sign Sanson etc,  he needs to show he can coach the best out of them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I think people are baulking at 40-50m because it's comfortably 10-15m clear of our record signing, as well as the fact that we're not at the level where we can buy 50m players I feel. What 50m player is going to want to come to us, with all due respect? Unless they're British and massively overpriced, genuine 50m players go to CL teams.

It’s true. I tried signing Nkunku and Aouar on FM21 and both told me to get lost because Villa weren’t good enough for them to seriously consider me. It hit me right in the feels.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

We get wind of most transfers before they happen. The Ings transfer was very much the exception to the rule.

14 hours ago, TRO said:

Its a question of ,can we sort out the issue, without spending money......i'm not sure we can.

the other thing is, i think you exaggerate how much money is required to bring in a dedicated no 6.....the first thing, is to recognise we need one....many fans do, I'm not sure Dean does.

in my humble opinion.....one good quality centre mid, with an ability to help control midfield, will transform us and get other players looking better.....this imbalance is having a knock on affect imo......A much better version of Nakamba is needed.

I think we’re talking about 2 different things here. My response was to a poster saying that we need to spend all the Grealish money ASAP - so I was talking about marquee signings.

In regards to my thoughts on a new DM, I’ll back Smith and co’s judgement on that one. 

The things that I can’t really get around in my head as to how a DM would help are:

- That midfield area has sparkled before and it was mostly the same personnel 

- Our defensive record was very good last year so we must be doing something okay

- If people think a big defensive presence is what’s lacking, although Nakamba doesn’t have the passing range we’re after, he is very good defensively and it still didn’t help on the weekend

- The goals scored on the weekend had very little to do with our defence in the middle of the park - the damage was mostly done in wide areas

I agree with you about a need to control things in the middle of the park, although I can’t help but I think we may already have that if we play a 433 and can get a combination of Sanson, McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba on the park. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KangarooVillan said:

I think we’re talking about 2 different things here. My response was to a poster saying that we need to spend all the Grealish money ASAP - so I was talking about marquee signings.

In regards to my thoughts on a new DM, I’ll back Smith and co’s judgement on that one. 

The things that I can’t really get around in my head as to how a DM would help are:

- That midfield area has sparkled before and it was mostly the same personnel 

- Our defensive record was very good last year so we must be doing something okay

- If people think a big defensive presence is what’s lacking, although Nakamba doesn’t have the passing range we’re after, he is very good defensively and it still didn’t help on the weekend

- The goals scored on the weekend had very little to do with our defence in the middle of the park - the damage was mostly done in wide areas

I agree with you about a need to control things in the middle of the park, although I can’t help but I think we may already have that if we play a 433 and can get a combination of Sanson, McGinn, Luiz and Nakamba on the park. 

I don’t think you can make a strong 3 with any combination of those 4 players. Certainly one strong enough to fight for a top 10 finish. 

Tin hat on!

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

If we don’t buy anyone else this window it’s possible that the owners and Purslow have decided to stop throwing money at Smith and let him sink or swim with the players they have given him so far. It will be under his recommendation that they have put the likes of McGinn on large contracts, sign Sanson etc,  he needs to show he can coach the best out of them.

I'm sorry, how do you come to that conclusion?

They have a team of scouts a sporting director etc.. It's not 10 years ago when the manager made all the decisions, this was a football decision and the CEO Purslow would be deciding what player gets what money under their budget structure, Smith coaches the team, he isn't making financial decisions for the club.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think people are baulking at 40-50m because it's comfortably 10-15m clear of our record signing, as well as the fact that we're not at the level where we can buy 50m players I feel. What 50m player is going to want to come to us, with all due respect? Unless they're British and massively overpriced, genuine 50m players go to CL teams.

Look at other teams record signings

Watford 30 million on sarr

Everton 40 million on sigurdsenn

Wolves 37 million on silva

Newcastle 40 million on jollington

Leeds 30 million on Rodrigo 

West hammer haller 45 million and Anderson 40 million 

If these teams can and have spent large sums of money on players who have gone to them with no European football then it shouldn't be that hard as there are 6 teams in England who qualified and uses they also want the player, there aren't many other options if they want great wages and to be in the best league to raise their profile.

2 players that especially if both signed, would transform us to a far better team, neither are glamorous and it would be 90 million.

Bissouma and JWP

We have the money and can spend it.

We have 2 or 3 players that should be sold just to pull back the spending although probs only about 15 to 20 million back.

Buy them now and we should be fixed midfield wise for at least 3 years in the middle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Look at other teams record signings

Watford 30 million on sarr

Everton 40 million on sigurdsenn

Wolves 37 million on silva

Newcastle 40 million on jollington

Leeds 30 million on Rodrigo 

West hammer haller 45 million and Anderson 40 million 

I know it's not the point you're making, but that's a pretty ropey list for the money spent, with the exception of Sarr.

¼ billion pounds on dogshit. Yikes.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I'm sorry, how do you come to that conclusion?

They have a team of scouts a sporting director etc.. It's not 10 years ago when the manager made all the decisions, this was a football decision and the CEO Purslow would be deciding what player gets what money under their budget structure, Smith coaches the team, he isn't making financial decisions for the club.

You honestly don’t think the head coach has an influence over these things? Not the exact numbers but stressing the importance of the player to the club that would lead the club to pay him in line with how highly Smith rates him. I really think he does. 

I actually don’t have a problem with our wage structure as far as it is reported, I doubt we over pay anyone compared to other PL clubs. My overall point was that Smith has been backed to the hilt by the board and they might be at a point where they want to see how he gets on with the squad he has assembled before throwing more money at him. 

Personally, I would be very disappointed if we didn’t buy a quality midfielder as the midfielders we have were largely assembled when we were championship or newly promoted.

12 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I know it's not the point you're making, but that's a pretty ropey list for the money spent, with the exception of Sarr.

¼ billion pounds on dogshit. Yikes.

Yes, but it also goes to show that they were all bar one, not experienced in the Premier league.

Big money for exotic sounding players and In this country they have not done great.

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

It will have been a joint decision. We have a Director of football.

• Like 2