Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

48 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

I agree with your view that CL is miles off.

The club has said though that Europe is the target for this season. Dean has said it and so have the players. I presume it is the target the board have set this year.

In that context, do you think the team is strong enough?

Well we got 11th last year.  Most of the points came when Jack was in the side.

This year we don't have him.  The board and players can say what they like - but I don't see us rising 5 places on last season.

We have been told the squad is more balanced. Looks very unbalanced to me. We have two strikers who imo won't be able play in the same line up.

We have a collection of wide midfielders. - as far as I can see no number 10 - and no real DM.

On top of that the manager has told us he doesn't expect any more additions.

Again imo - 11th would be some achievement.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I nearly posted a Billy Connoly gif response to that post back then but didn't think anyone would get it. Nice one Sid.

I'm pretty sure Findley Crawford is a name he uses in a routine he does about creative types so I assume he had some input into the name of the character in the episode. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well we got 11th last year.  Most of the points came when Jack was in the side.

This year we don't have him.  The board and players can say what they like - but I don't see us rising 5 places on last season.

We have been told the squad is more balanced. Looks very unbalanced to me. We have two strikers who imo won't be able play in the same line up.

We have a collection of wide midfielders. - as far as I can see no number 10 - and no real DM.

On top of that the manager has told us he doesn't expect any more additions.

Again imo - 11th would be some achievement.

We need to have more than one striker in the club Watkins can’t play every game all the strong teams have more than one striker like 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm pretty sure Findley Crawford is a name he uses in a routine he does about creative types so I assume he had some input into the name of the character in the episode. 

Ahh, I had no idea he was named that in that episode, I'm a Columbo fan but have only watched that episode once. Yes, I meant it from his stadd up from way before his spot in Columbo.

Not wanting to vere off topic I'd like to point out that both Billy and Pete in those days thought Doug Ellis was a complete boob during most transfer windows.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mickjacobjr said:

We need to have more than one striker in the club Watkins can’t play every game all the strong teams have more than one striker like 

Strong teams have a DM and a number 10. Not against the Ings signing. Just that imo I don't see him and OW in the same team. Esp as DS has said he isn't going to play OW wide.

28 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

Struggle to see me as fan because of how I've interpreted a clear statement?

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given the powers of deduction you've evidenced. 

Haven't spun anything negatively. Said team isn't good enough for a CL push, with which you presumably agree. Said it needs a DM for a Europa push, for which some would call me optimistic. So it's currently a mid-table side most likely, which is below the goal the club seems to have set. Yippee! Let's all celebrate! 

I would've said my interpretation was positive... and I'm generally positive about where we are & are going. And stoking fires? Do you think Lange is holding a crisis meeting because I've told the interwebs we need a DM?

I'd say fans who spend time thinking and talking about how they'd like to see their team evolve, sharing opinions, are better than those who just attack anyone who's not spunking claret & blue at all times.

Please feel free to point me towards your constructive comments.

Its inflammatory based on your opinion (this is a forum), however, dont get upset when people with a slightly more pragmatic view call you out on it after ONE game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Strong teams have a DM and a number 10. Not against the Ings signing. Just that imo I don't see him and OW in the same team. Esp as DS has said he isn't going to play OW wide.

I agree we need a guaranteed starter at DM Bissouma who I would go after I was on about we need more than one striker 

3 minutes ago, macandally said:

Please feel free to point me towards your constructive comments.

Its inflammatory based on your opinion (this is a forum), however, dont get upset when people with a slightly more pragmatic view call you out on it after ONE game.

Good dollop of your own medicine needed there.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

It is easy to see both sides.

It's been a long and frustrating close season, many invested so much in Grealish in an England shirt only to be repaid with the fact he had decided he was off before the tournament even started. We've also lost two important coaches.

But it's not unreasonable to expect us to get at least a draw against Watford, even under the circumstances we found ourselves in, and if we had played the second half the way we played the first we would have easily come away with three points.

Playing Young left and Anwar right, was a horrendous decision and it backfired, I also don't think i've ever seen Nakamba played in a two man midfield, so that was another baffling decision.

But the other side is we have Luiz, Sanson coming back, Bailey and Traore will start next week and hopefully if Watkins comes back also we will be like a different team (presuming he's not 'almost ready to come back' for the next three months).

Target and Cash will hopefully get their sh*t together also.

Even with the above it's going to take time to get this team all playing together well and moving into a post Grealish era properly, but when we do we will be better than we were last season.

I would not disagree with any of that, its reasonable and considered.

What I find irritating is people going off half cocked after a single game, its almost like some have had to sit on their hands all summer waiting for an excuse to combust and pull the team and management apart, as well as come up with wild conspiracy theories in support of their view.  Utterly bizarre. 

• Like 1

Doucoure played 90 mins for Lens in a 2-2 draw against Saint-Etienne and got a 7.0 on both Sofascore and Whoscored.

Pape Sarr played 83 mins for Metz in a 2-0 loss against Nantes and got a 6.6 and 6.2 

Did not watch either game, anyone who did?

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Doucoure played 90 mins for Lens in a 2-2 draw against Saint-Etienne and got a 7.0 on both Sofascore and Whoscored.

Pape Sarr played 83 mins for Metz in a 2-0 loss against Nantes and got a 6.6 and 6.2 

Did not watch either game, anyone who did?

I think Doucoure would be the better buy 

Just now, RicRic said:

I think Doucoure would be the better buy 

I have no idea really, I watch a fair bit of French football but mostly the bigger games and I don't think I've seen either of them play.

59 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I nearly posted a Billy Connoly gif response to that post back then but didn't think anyone would get it. Nice one Sid.

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It sure is lad that was the joke and of course Sid is on the ball he used the same name in the columbo episode he appeared in