Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Honestly, if that’s the case, I question our leadership. No way we compete for top 8 with our current team. 

Agreed. But I think the departure of JG had derailed the push for top 8. I don't think the club are going throw ££££ at it to make up the lost ground , at least not in this window.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

But why not? I’m positive we were going to spend around 80-90m this summer with Grealish here and now we’re just not going to accept a profit and not push on?

Not for me. Tom Colomosse said we were after another attacking player and a defensive midfielder and that’s exactly what we’ll get. 

I flipping hope so, otherwise we’re missing a golden opportunity to push on.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

But why not? I’m positive we were going to spend around 80-90m this summer with Grealish here and now we’re just not going to accept a profit and not push on?

Not for me. Tom Colomosse said we were after another attacking player and a defensive midfielder and that’s exactly what we’ll get. 

Perhaps the 80-90 m investment with JG in the team would have been seen as enough  to get top 6 top 4. Where as spending £80m now probably still wouldn't be enough.

Right now we have that many options it's perhaps not clear where the investment is required - so I'm sensing a bit of wait and see - take stock - then address the weak spots.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Perhaps the 80-90 m investment with JG in the team would have been seen as enough  to get top 6 top 4. Where as spending £80m now probably still wouldn't be enough.

Right now we have that many options it's perhaps not clear where the investment is required - so I'm sensing a bit of wait and see - take stock - then address the weak spots.

I reckon we know our targets and working on them and hopefully they’ll happen shortly. I think they know our weak spots and have been planning for months, now is the hard part of extracting the players identified from the teams they are currently at.

If Smith's major concern from last season was possession breaking down in the final third then he's got to be looking at bringing another left sided attacker / winger in.

Most culpable for losing possession in my opinion would be El Ghazi and Traore (and Trez but let's ignore him due to his injury). Decent players don't get me wrong, but perhaps now they become bench options / rotation starters.

To ensure we improve we have to have a proper left sided AM who protects the ball - someone as similar to Jack as possible. Ings or Watkins out left just can't be the plan, surely!?  With the money we have to spend why would we try and force fit a player in an unnatural or non preferred position?

Cantwell made sense. He's good with the ball at his feet, just a little light weight - and looking at Chukwuemeka, our physios know how to bulk players up.  But hopefully he's been put to one side whilst we try for a more ambitious sighing from the continent.

Kamada (as has been suggested) looks like a great option. Would be the perfect replacement for Jack.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I have to agree. If I was them I would also want to assess a JG-free Smith too. I think this a big season for Smith. I have faith in him but he needs to produce without JG now. The current squad is more than capable of holding it's own in the PL.

I think this a project. There seems to be a big emphasis on youth development also. With that means the need to have pathways for prospects. I am pretty patient and relaxed. I think ownership will pull the trigger if the target is right but will not go out and purchase a 'magnifient-7'.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I highly doubt you could get both for 80 mill, closer to 100

Luckily, we've just acquired that exact amount.

While they don't scream major excitement, the middle needs to be solid. We have 4 attackers newly in the door add in these 2 and we have energy pressing skill power and players comfortable with the ball all over the pitch.

With the emerging youth players, mgginn,luiz,Nakamba el ghazi traore trez conner the midfield will be well stocked and could see 2 of el ghazi, mgginn, conner luiz being sold before the window shuts.

I personally think we're done with attackers and defenders now. I just hope we aren't going to shoe horn Watkins and Ings into the starting line up. 

I'm just hoping for a brilliant 6 (Or JWP) which are hard to come by. 

4231 or 433 are our best formations. Really didn't enjoy 442 today. 

El Ghazi & JBP to cover LW ? Gotta give the kid a chance and El Ghazi scores important goals and may finally find some consistency now out of HWABN shadows - or is that too risky? Really need a midfield dynamo! 

13 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I personally think we're done with attackers and defenders now. I just hope we aren't going to shoe horn Watkins and Ings into the starting line up. 

I'm just hoping for a brilliant 6 (Or JWP) which are hard to come by. 

4231 or 433 are our best formations. Really didn't enjoy 442 today. 

442 is not the right way to go. Our midfield would be overrun. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

1 CM and 1 more forward player (preferably someone who can play both CAM and LW) and we've had an absolutely smashing window.

JWP and Kamada would be a dream. I wanted a defensive midfielder as well but Nakamba seems a different player and deserves a go. 

• Like 2