Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

6 minutes ago, useless said:

If I wanted to be a troll I could have said a lot worse than that, all I was doing was pointing out an alternative view of our signings, and not just a view, but what I said was pretty much accurate, which doesn't make them bad signings, but again lends support to the idea that we've still got more strenghting to do, which again I'm pretty certain is what will happen, so not sure why people think it's wrong to suggest that that's what needs to happen, in all probability the club itself agrees.

We also can’t expect it to be done this transfer window.  Smith has said a number of times it will take several transfer windows.

I agree with what you said in some respects although I think it was a very negative viewpoint but sometimes on this forum we go over the top how good our players are.  We could get better for all of them except Jack and Martinez.  We could get better than Watkins, than Targett for example (I could’ve picked any names so don’t focus on the two names, it could’ve been Konsa or Cash).  I think at the same time realise we are still early into this rebuild and how lucky we are to have these players…the same Watkins is now an England international, superb debut for us and only get better.

We as fans and club need to realise that to get further up the league we need better quality, more options in the squad and some of our favourites maybe replaced if the owners are serious about their intentions.  Buendia is a fabulous buy that I’m delighted with, he now needs to prove that belief is real and perform because this is a massive step up for him. I think he’ll do it but could also fail.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I still think there's potential for us to sign a goalkeeper, a left-back, a central defender, a midfielder, and a striker.

I think Young is the left back in that list, but I can't disagree with you on any of the others. I still think we'll look for a winger too.

Yes you'd think there would be a few more incoming. We've lost Heaton, Taylor, Engels, Elmo and Barkley from last years match day squad - and in addition Trez is injured long term. 

I think Young replaces Taylor, Buendia Barkley, and perhaps Fred Elmo. Another CB is all but guaranteed, and I would expect another mid and forward - probably with at least one of Wes or Davis heading out on loan or full time. 

I have a feeling we'll give Steer the chance at no.2. 

Edited by Condimentalist
  • Like 1

Same for me, I really want us to get a wide player in who can stretch a team, y'know simple ball over the top and we can turn teams quickly. Someone like Ollie but playing out wide.

I think little issue with our wide players is bar Trez (who we won't see again until 2022) is they prefer ball to feet and cut inside, AEG wants this as does Traore and from looking at his profile Buendia will be like that aswell so while it should mean some fantastic combinations and lovely goals we need some other options.

That said if we're seriously looking at Smith Rowe type player then it probably won't happen this summer but I live in hope.

Remains to be seen who'll take the place of Barkley given he started 20 odd games for us last season. If it's either Bunedia/Jack that would mean our wide options up to January would be one of those two, AEG and Traore, 3 wide options isn't really enough if we want a good cup run.

Of course we could just play three CMs but worry there is none of them really score much, West Ham didn't even play Soucek as a 10 for much of the season and he still got double figures, Tielemans at Leicester scored 9 in league and cup from 8 position aswell so we really need McGinn to get going again next year in final third and start chipping in with goals as we're lacking a bit considering the defence dosen't really score much either.

Striker position is the most interesting one to see what happens, as have to get the balance between a player that won't be expecting to come straight into the first team, but at the same time we need them to be good enough that we will be confident enough in their ability to make a difference when called upon.

Maybe a striker that can play on both the wing and through the middle would help, as might give them more chances to play even when Watkins is fit and playing.

Noticed a few clubs being linked with Rafael Leão, maybe him or someone like him would be a good option for us.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Young is the left back in that list, but I can't disagree with you on any of the others. I still think we'll look for a winger too.

I think we sign a CB, CAM and a CM (ideally a 6). 

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Buendia.    New.     Jack

Watkins

With McGinn, Luiz, Sanson and the new CM fighting for the two starting spots. I'd anticipate McGinn and Luiz start day one, quickly to be replaced as form drops by Sanson or New if their form of the past few months continues.

Interestingly, with a GK, CB, Young and assuming a RB (Fred for now) on the bench there aren't a lot of spaces there for Sanson, CM, Traore, AEG, Carney, JJ, JPB, Wes and Davis. Will be a few games with some surprise left out of the squad. We would need attacking threats on there, if a CM like Luiz lost their spot they could easily not make a match day squad in some instances.

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Same for me, I really want us to get a wide player in who can stretch a team, y'know simple ball over the top and we can turn teams quickly. Someone like Ollie but playing out wide.

I think little issue with our wide players is bar Trez (who we won't see again until 2022) is they prefer ball to feet and cut inside, AEG wants this as does Traore and from looking at his profile Buendia will be like that aswell so while it should mean some fantastic combinations and lovely goals we need some other options.

That said if we're seriously looking at Smith Rowe type player then it probably won't happen this summer but I live in hope.

Remains to be seen who'll take the place of Barkley given he started 20 odd games for us last season. If it's either Bunedia/Jack that would mean our wide options up to January would be one of those two, AEG and Traore, 3 wide options isn't really enough if we want a good cup run.

Of course we could just play three CMs but worry there is none of them really score much, West Ham didn't even play Soucek as a 10 for much of the season and he still got double figures, Tielemans at Leicester scored 9 in league and cup from 8 position aswell so we really need McGinn to get going again next year in final third and start chipping in with goals as we're lacking a bit considering the defence dosen't really score much either.

I think pretty much all wide players play that way now. Given how advance full backs play they offer the width, most wide players use the overlap to cut inside and gets shots away.

Traore and Cash developed a great understanding. It was most evident when Elmo had to come in. 

• Like 1

The attacker / striker is tricky. Sometimes, if I squint, I can imagine Wesley and Ollie working pushing each other or even playing together rarely. 

I just think we need another goal scoring threat up top. Davis is a good lad, but we know what he is all about at this point. Bring him on to defend a lead and he will put himself about well enough, but if you need a goal threat, well....

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

I guess the coaches will have seen Wes in training and practice matches and have a good idea what he's looking like and if he's likely to get up to speed again. 

That's going to decide our strategy. He was bought to be our main striking option in The Premier League for a not inconsiderable amount of money.  He should be good enough to be our main striker therefore easily good enough back up as long as his fitness and sharpness can be got back. 

I've a feeling we won't be looking for a striker. 

• Like 4

Rafael Leao was a player I wanted so badly back when we were linked… Cannot see it now Suso has gone tbh but one, can hope.

In terms of wide players,  be annoyed if Wolves sign Trincao from Barca. But as long as Fosun own a part of Mendes’ agency that relationship will sadly continue. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

I still think there's potential for us to sign a goalkeeper, a left-back, a central defender, a midfielder, and a striker.

Let’s hope the rumours of our owners wanting to take advantage of the financial challenges faced by the likes of Arsenal and Spurs are true.

Certainly a CB, CM, ST and hopefully another forward player like Smith Rowe are on the cards.

31 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Let’s hope the rumours of our owners wanting to take advantage of the financial challenges faced by the likes of Arsenal and Spurs are true.

Certainly a CB, CM, ST and hopefully another forward player like Smith Rowe are on the cards.

I don't think a Striker is a certainty at all. In fact I'd be surprised if we signed one.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I don't think a Striker is a certainty at all. In fact I'd be surprised if we signed one.

Yeah I’m not really sure why I said certainly as really I have less than **** all knowledge of what’s going to happen.

Hopefully, not certainly.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I guess the coaches will have seen Wes in training and practice matches and have a good idea what he's looking like and if he's likely to get up to speed again

That's near verbatim what Smith said and if not up to speed we'd have to look at the market

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

We have let one go in every position you have mentioned, except for striker (depending on what role Ashley is expected to play), so your view is not unreasonable imho.  Obviously, with the exception of Barkley, these have all been back up/squad players that will need replacing.  How aggressively they will be replaced - i.e. with what level of player - will indicate NSWE's short term ambition.

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

We have let one go in every position you have mentioned, except for striker (depending on what role Ashley is expected to play), so your view is not unreasonable imho.  Obviously, with the exception of Barkley, these have all been back up/squad players that will need replacing.  How aggressively they will be replaced - i.e. with what level of player - will indicate NSWE's short term ambition.

Last year ppl were mentioning Traore when discussing back up strikers, is that still a viable option? 

11 minutes ago, Radness said:

Last year ppl were mentioning Traore when discussing back up strikers, is that still a viable option? 

I think it depends on Wes, if he's OK then we should be OK with Davis and Traore as extra backups but if he's not going to get back properly then we'll need a first choice backup. The only people that would really know are the coaching staff so I'm confident that they'll do the right thing either way though