Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

21 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Pretty much agree with most of that, except one. Having watched him quite a bit this year I'm convinced Carney can make a big impact, even now, at the highest level. He is very special !!

I agree he could be special, but honestly, I’d still give him a loan. He’s 18 or whatever, younger than Mason Mount was when he was on loan at Derby. 

A year or two on loan isn’t going to hurt and they’ll improve so much more than a few minutes here and there for the first team. 

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Also the thing with Carney is if any of the rumours are true re Dortmund/Bayern sniffing round then it is probably best to keep him close and integrate with first team and signing him on a long term contract when he is 18.

I think gone are the days when this would be a concern, under this stewardship. Dortmund, Bayern, Real Madrid, whoever, it would be  straight "No" to all and every enquiry.

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It’s frankly Hilarious that benteke’s name is still spouted as a realistic target. The guy is shot and washed up and has been for time. Let’s forget the, how many goals in how many season and let’s waste money for nostalgia - what the actual **** ... Shall we get O’Neil back as well to mange him ? Ashley Young is available as well. 

Impressive that Young is still playing for Inter Milan aged 35

25 minutes ago, thabucks said:

It’s frankly Hilarious that benteke’s name is still spouted as a realistic target. The guy is shot and washed up and has been for time. Let’s forget the, how many goals in how many season and let’s waste money for nostalgia - what the actual **** ... Shall we get O’Neil back as well to mange him ? Ashley Young is available as well. 

He's still a decent player. Most of the hangup is for how much he'd cost in terms of wages and signing on fee. He's plenty good enough for us as a backup.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bose said:

I think we will see plenty of Carney next season. Don’t think he’s going anywhere on loan.

I agree. He'll be integrated like Ramsey has been this season (he could well go out on loan instead if decent championship club wants him), sub cameos like the two he's already had and then a couple of starts in December period like Ramsey when he played v Wolves and someone else.

Another reason why I don't think we'll sign another midfielder this summer.

30 minutes ago, bose said:

I think we will see plenty of Carney next season. Don’t think he’s going anywhere on loan.

He's going nowhere. The only reason he signed his deal was because we told him he'd be involved. Hence getting first team experience in the last two games. 

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I agree. He'll be integrated like Ramsey has been this season (he could well go out on loan instead if decent championship club wants him), sub cameos like the two he's already had and then a couple of starts in December period like Ramsey when he played v Wolves and someone else.

Another reason why I don't think we'll sign another midfielder this summer.

If that’s the case then we simply won’t improve and break the top 8, let alone the top 6.

If the owners are serious about improving and competing for the top 6/8, then we need at least 2 first team players adding. I’d go as far as to say we actually need 3. A DCM, ACM, AMR.

I get its absolutely fantastic when you don’t need to spend 30-50m on a player because you’ve managed to bring one through from your academy but I think we’re still a couple of years away from that.

Id be shocked if we didn’t spend 80m+ again this Summer. Why spend all this money to become an established mid-table team and then not continue to invest when we can attract a higher calibre of player? 

Relying on the lads who won the FA Youth Cup to improve our first team next season is madness and we won’t go anywhere. Get them lot out on loan and bed them in slowly. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If that’s the case then we simply won’t improve and break the top 8, let alone the top 6.

If the owners are serious about improving and competing for the top 6/8, then we need at least 2 first team players adding. I’d go as far as to say we actually need 3. A DCM, ACM, AMR.

I get its absolutely fantastic when you don’t need to spend 30-50m on a player because you’ve managed to bring one through from your academy but I think we’re still a couple of years away from that.

Id be shocked if we didn’t spend 80m+ again this Summer. Why spend all this money to become an established mid-table team and then not continue to invest when we can attract a higher calibre of player? 

Relying on the lads who won the FA Youth Cup to improve our first team next season is madness and we won’t go anywhere. Get them lot out on loan and bed them in slowly. 

So when do you suggest we blood these players? And who said anything about “relying” on them? 

38 games plus the cups. It’s a long old season. 

If they’re good enough I dgaf what they cost or where they came from. The club will spend money no doubt, but integrating one or two youth players into the squad each season if poss is smart business if nothing else.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I get its absolutely fantastic when you don’t need to spend 30-50m on a player because you’ve managed to bring one through from you me academy but I think we’re still a couple of years away from that.

McGinn will always start while DS is manager imo. He isn't getting replaced in starting 11 anytime soon.

Doug inconsistant but we know his level is good enough when he's on form and currently a regular starter for Brazil which isn't too bad for a 22 year old.

Sanson been forgotten about already but he cost 15m and has good top level experience so will see how he plays next season before writing him off as many are doing (perhaps even the manager.....)

Not huge on Nakamba and I'd actually look to move him on but he did play well in some of his starts against decent teams this season so probably done enough to stay a squad player for next season.

Ramsey/Carney, both could get loaned out, both could stay. Hard to call.

Sign some wide players and Jack will be back in number 10 role more often.

I'd say that's a decent amount of options for the 3 midfield slots. Might not be enough to break into top 6 but to me summer is all about signing better final third options so we just don't instantly go on 1 win in 10 mode if we lose Jack or Ollie to injury for 2-3 months next season.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why does that have to happen next season?

We're building a squad to get us there and surely developing very talented youth players in our first team, helps us do that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Creeper said:

Noticed Alan Nixon alluded that we want an experienced backup to replace Heaton, and someone mentioned us going for Gazzaniga whos been released from Spurs and he didn't say no. 

Would be a really good signing. Like for like replacement for Tom but much younger without the history of bad injuries. I thought we would look for an experienced GK so I can really see this happening. Another smart move from Villa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree he could be special, but honestly, I’d still give him a loan. He’s 18 or whatever, younger than Mason Mount was when he was on loan at Derby. 

A year or two on loan isn’t going to hurt and they’ll improve so much more than a few minutes here and there for the first team. 

Mason Greenwood played 1300 and 1800 odd minutes last 2 seasons. He's 2 years older than Carney so if Carney got brought in next season would be no different

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The 4 youngsters you mention aren’t ready. Barry and Kessler especially. Personally, I’d loan all 4 out for a season. 

Me too. If they stick around then great, I’ll enjoy seeing them get some minutes like Ramsay has. But I personally think all could do with time away getting regular games.

I’m seeing a lot of hype around Carney atm, which is great, but I think we also need to remember that he appears to have been playing way below his level in the U23/Development league or whatever they call it. On the few occasions I’ve watched him, I’ve thought he looked a bit slow and lightweight - albeit very talented! 

Barry seems to have good pace, movement and finishing, but he’s not going to get in ahead of Watkins, Davis or Wes, so again, let’s send him out.

The other guys I haven’t watched enough of to comment fairly.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I really don’t get the obsession with bringing through the youngsters so soon and thinking we don’t need x/y/z because Kessler/Barry can fill in.

There is such a monumental gulf in class from the level we all watched the other night and PL football. I genuinely don’t think any of them are ready, but I do think they have a shot at becoming a PL footballer if they are managed properly. 

Look at Chelsea. Mason Mount was on loan at Derby when he was 19/20. Tammy was on various Loans until he was 21/22. I’m sure there are heaps of other comparisons. 

The lads we’re all clambering to start more games, JPB, Carney, Kessler would get ripped apart at PL level, or certainly shown up unless they were exceptional. Let these lads go out on 2/3 loans to League 1/Championship sides for a couple of years and bring them back when they’re 21 to see if they are physically ready and good enough. 

Im really hoping that, having brought in the loan management team, that we start managing our youngsters properly. These kids need 35/40 games a season at a slightly lower, more physically demanding level rather than bossing other 17yr olds and playing 20 minutes here and there for the first team. 

Yes, there are exceptions, Foden/Greenwood etc. and I’m sure if they’re good enough, we’ll manage them properly but I think some on here are thinking we’ll have 3/4 of these lads being regular starters for us in a couple of years when the harsh reality is only 1, maybe 2 will make it. 

We need to treat the transfer system as a way of improving our squad where it needs improving and if a young lad comes through and performs brilliantly, then that is just a bonus. 

FWIW, I’d much prefer seeing Carney boss it for Notts Forest for 40 games next year instead of playing 4 or 5 times for our first team. 

The Office Thank You GIF

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Praise The Lord Applause GIF